locked [WSJTX] Request - Wanted Call Text Box

Gordon Brown

Saw this on the WsjtX group. Thought you would like to know.

GB

On 5/07/2021 11:51 am, N8OFP.DL@... wrote:
I would like to see a text box added to the main screen of WSJT-X where a user could enter a specific call sign they are watching for. The program would highlight that call sign in some fashion to let the user know that it had been decoded. With the FT8 and FT4 modes becoming more and more popular it is difficult to find a specific call sign. This is especially true during special events or contest (prime example the 13 Colonies Event). The text box would only hold one call sign and the user could copy and paste or type the call sign in. To remove the call sign the user would simply highlight the call and either type over it, or delete it.

I know programs like JTAlert offer this function but the process to add or remove a call sign is too time consuming, and the author doesn't seem interested in making any such change..

Joe Subich, W4TV

What? Settings -> Wanted Callsigns, type in a call and click ADD
is too cumbersome?

What does he want? Free beer with his free software?

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 5/07/2021 11:51 am, N8OFP.DL@gmail.com wrote:
I would like to see a text box added to the main screen of WSJT-X
where a user could enter a specific call sign they are watching for.
The program would highlight that call sign in some fashion to let
the user know that it had been decoded. With the FT8 and FT4 modes
becoming more and more popular it is difficult to find a specific
call sign. This is especially true during special events or contest
(prime example the 13 Colonies Event). The text box would only hold
one call sign and the user could copy and paste or type the call
sign in. To remove the call sign the user would simply highlight the
call and either type over it, or delete it.
I know programs like JTAlert offer this function but the process to
add or remove a call sign is too time consuming, and the author
doesn't seem interested in making any such change..

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 6/07/2021 6:26 am, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

What? Settings -> Wanted Callsigns, type in a call and click ADD
is too cumbersome?

What does he want?  Free beer with his free software?

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Joe, You're working harder not smarter. ;-) Just 2 mouse clicks on a Callsign is enough to add/remove a Callsign to/from the Wanted Callsigns list, no need to open the Settings window at all and no need to use the keyboard.

I posted a couple of messages to the WSJTX group thread pointing that out, but they never appeared. The moderation over there is very heavy-handed.

As for the original poster of that message, I double-checked, there has never been a post from them in this group requesting changes/improvements to the Wanted Callsigns management. Heck, they are not even a member of the Group. I don't know what his beef with JTAlert is.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Joe Subich, W4TV

Joe, You're working harder not smarter. ;-) Just 2 mouse clicks on a Callsign is enough to add/remove a Callsign to/from the Wanted
Callsigns list, no need to open the Settings window at all and no
need to use the keyboard.
Laurie, that assumes the callsign appears in the Callsigns Window.
If one is adding an expected DXpedition/Grid Rover ahead of time
one needs to use my method. There is no right-click and add or
delete option in the "Alert Wanted Call" panel <G>.

As for the original poster of that message, I double-checked, there
has never been a post from them in this group requesting changes/improvements to the Wanted Callsigns management. Heck, they
are not even a member of the Group.
Of course, as a software developer you are expected to be prescient!

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-07-05 4:55 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
[...]

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 6/07/2021 7:16 am, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
Laurie, that assumes the callsign appears in the Callsigns Window.
If one is adding an expected DXpedition/Grid Rover ahead of time
one needs to use my method.  There is no right-click and add or
delete option in the "Alert Wanted Call" panel <G>
True.
Populating the wanted Callsigns list ahead of time itself is not onerous or complicated, type a Callsign, click the Add button. My reading of the original message suggested it was the real-time management of the Callsign list, which I took as meaning the Callsigns were being decoded in which case, the 2 mouse-clicks without opening the Settings widow is the quickest solution.

de Laurie VK3AMA