locked WSJT-X Stops keying transceiver...

Craig

Keying from WSJT-X work fine until the rig is left unattended for a short period of time, then WSJT-X will not key flex transceiver.  After shutting down and re-starting WSJT-X (version 2.5.4) and JTAlert (version 2.51.3), all works fine until the rig is left unattended again.  Stumped.  Ideas?  Are other experiencing issues?  Running Windows 10, version 21H2.
--
Craig
NZ4CW

Michael Black

Network card going to sleep?

Check the power settings on it in the Device Manager.

Mike W9MDB

On Sunday, May 15, 2022, 01:13:10 PM CDT, Craig <nz4cwcraig@...> wrote:

Keying from WSJT-X work fine until the rig is left unattended for a short period of time, then WSJT-X will not key flex transceiver.  After shutting down and re-starting WSJT-X (version 2.5.4) and JTAlert (version 2.51.3), all works fine until the rig is left unattended again.  Stumped.  Ideas?  Are other experiencing issues?  Running Windows 10, version 21H2.
--
Craig
NZ4CW

asobel@...

Craig and Mike

I have the same problem with Flex 6600 and 4x WSJT-X v2.5.4.

Which power setting?

Amos 4X4MF

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Black via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, May 15, 2022 9:16 PM
To: Support@HamApps.groups.io
Subject: Re: [HamApps] WSJT-X Stops keying transceiver...

Mike W9MDB

--
Craig
NZ4CW

Michael Black

Device Manger/Network adapters/Power Management/Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

I turn off all USB power management.

Mike W9MDB

On Monday, May 16, 2022, 02:45:55 AM CDT, asobel@... <asobel@...> wrote:

Craig and Mike

Which power setting?

Amos 4X4MF

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Black via groups.io

Mike W9MDB

--
Craig
NZ4CW

asobel@...

Mike

There is no power management on Network adapters in Win 11. I did try no sleep no display off plan.

Amos 4X4MF

Sent: Monday, May 16, 2022 2:43 PM

Device Manger/Network adapters/Power Management/Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Mike W9MDB

Craig and Mike

Which power setting?

Amos 4X4MF

Mike W9MDB

--
Craig
NZ4CW

Michael Black

You don't see this?
Inline image

Mike W9MDB

On Monday, May 16, 2022, 07:21:19 AM CDT, asobel@... <asobel@...> wrote:

Mike

There is no power management on Network adapters in Win 11. I did try no sleep no display off plan.

Amos 4X4MF

Mike W9MDB

Craig and Mike

Which power setting?

Amos 4X4MF

Mike W9MDB

--
Craig
NZ4CW

asobel@...

Mike

Thank you, I got it. Hope it does solve the problem.

Amos 4X4MF

Sent: Monday, May 16, 2022 3:28 PM

You don't see this?

Inline image

Mike W9MDB

On Monday, May 16, 2022, 07:21:19 AM CDT, asobel@... <asobel@...> wrote:

Mike

Amos 4X4MF

Mike W9MDB

Craig and Mike

Which power setting?

Amos 4X4MF

Mike W9MDB

--
Craig
NZ4CW

4X1UF Izzy Lavee

On the device manager, check the settings of the network card/ adaptor and untick the power management of the device, it's intended to "save" energy when not in use
Izzy 4x1uf

בתאריך יום ב׳, 16 במאי 2022, 10:45, מאת ‏<asobel@...>:

Craig and Mike

Which power setting?

Amos 4X4MF

Mike W9MDB

--
Craig
NZ4CW

Craig

All, thanks for your replies / suggestions.  I found a number of devices (Network, USB) with Power Management turned on, which I have now turned off.  Will assess if this action has had any impact to issue and advise.  73, 
--
Craig
NZ4CW

Craig

All, turning off power management did not resolve the issue.  WSJT-X will key the FLEX but there is NO RF output.  Mid-range pitch sound occurs during this period, which is usually not the case.
--
Craig
NZ4CW

David De Coons

Craig

Do you have monitors with built in speakers? Are they connected with HDMI?

If so, try disabling the video card sound output in Device Manager. 

Dave wo2x

Sent from my waxed string and tin cans. 

On May 16, 2022, at 4:49 PM, Craig <NZ4CWcraig@...> wrote:

All, turning off power management did not resolve the issue.  WSJT-X will key the FLEX but there is NO RF output.  Mid-range pitch sound occurs during this period, which is usually not the case.
--
Craig
NZ4CW

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 17/05/2022 6:49 am, Craig wrote:

That indicates that there has been a reassignment of the output audio device in WSJTX, with it switching from the flex slice device to another device.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Craig

Hello Laurie - thanks for replying.  Could very well be the case however the RX / TX audio selections have not changed within WSJT-X, and are correct.  If a re-assignment is taking place, it is doing so without any personal involvement.  The only solution that I have come across is to either re-start WSJT-X, or to select a different configuration option within WSJT-X which re-establishes a new setup.  Works for a while, then fails again.
--
Craig
NZ4CW

Jim Cooper

On 17 May 2022 at 15:15, Craig wrote:

The only solution that I have come
across is to either re-start WSJT-X,
or to select a different
configuration option within WSJT-X
which re-establishes a new setup. 
Works for a while, then fails again.
doesn't that sort of suggest the problem
is in WSJT-X rather than JTalert ?

Have you discussed this in the WSJT-X group?

main@WSJTX.groups.io

w2jc

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 18/05/2022 8:15 am, Craig wrote:
If a re-assignment is taking place, it is doing so without any personal involvement

You don't need to give permission  for audio device reassignment, it happens automatically within Windows and tends to occur whenever Windows detects a new device or an existing device goes away. Likely the audio device re-enumeration that Windows is performing is due to a device being unplugged or going to sleep as part of a power-save setting.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Roger (K7GXB)

Hi Craig,
I have similar symptoms. WSJT-X is running WSPR on a secondary PC & I use RDP from my desktop to monitor it.
Sometimes, I discover Enable Tx has become Unset.
At first, I thought it was an effect of RDP getting/losing focus; I haven’t ruled this out.

Alternatively, it may be a minor RFI effect which only manifests in that one symptom.
(Rig has Remote ATU; my ‘impression’ is Enabling ‘Tune’ in the Band Hopping may reduce the time before failure.)

PS: I just watched a 20m Tx cycle, followed by a 40m Tune then 40m Rx Cycle; Tx became disabled around time 40m Tune took place!!
--
Roger
K7GXB

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> On Behalf Of Craig
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2022 15:15

Hello Laurie - thanks for replying.  Could very well be the case however the RX / TX audio selections have not changed within WSJT-X, and are correct.  If a re-assignment is taking place, it is doing so without any personal involvement.  The only solution that I have come across is to either re-start WSJT-X, or to select a different configuration option within WSJT-X which re-establishes a new setup.  Works for a while, then fails again.
--
Craig
NZ4CW

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 18/05/2022 8:15 am, Craig wrote:
however the RX / TX audio selections have not changed within WSJT-X, and are correct

While the audio device assignments in WSJTX are unchanged, under the hood the device ID that WSJTX uses when instructing Windows to play the audio will likely have changed after the device re-enumeration has been performed. Each audio device gets a Windows assigned id number and this number is used for playing sound, not the actual device name. WSJTX has no way of knowing if the device id has been changed due to Windows re-enumeration and can be sending the audio to the old id that is no longer valid for the sound device selected. Windows does not provide any mechanism to notify applications if there has been a change.

JTAlert would suffer a similar problem if I had not taken steps to identify device id changes. Every minute, JTAlert in the background confirms the assigned id of its enabled sound device to ensure the correct id is used in the sound play instructions sent to Windows. WSJTX does not perform this id check, I seem to recall it is something to do with limitations of the QT framework upon which it is coded, but I may be mistaken.

de Laurie VK3AMA