WSJT-X and JTAlert Interoperation

John Snell

Moving to a brand new WIN10 computer, I got DXLabs, WSJTx working, but kept having a problem getting JTAlert to communicate with WSJTx.  Back and forth between two notebooks that previously had run without problem looking at config's all the way from WIN10 installed services to the check boxes in each app.

Finally found the piece of information I needed (which was NOT that I may have started the apps with differing privileges!  => used Task Manager to add "Elevated" column and checked).  No, this time the problem was that I was expecting too much interoperation and had blithely checked Spot Collector's WSJTX enable box, blocking JTAlert.

Here is the applicable note from DXLab's Getting Started page:

Limitations

  1. JT-Alert and SpotCollector cannot be simultaneously connected to the same instance of WSJT-X via the same UDP address and port; if you wish to use JT-Alert,
    1. uncheck the Enable box in the WSJT-X panel on SpotCollector's Configuration window's Spot Sources tab
    2. start JT-Alert.
  2. SpotCollector will accept connections from up to 16 instances of WSJT-X
  3. WSJT-X logs a single frequency for each QSO; it does not record both TX and RX frequencies.
  4. The contest exchange information logged by WSJT-X is not yet documented; DXKeeper is unlikely to generate correct Cabrillo from QSOs logged by WSJT-X.
  5. With SpotCollector connected to WSJT-X,
    1. double-clicking a Spot Database Entry whose Mode field specifies FT8, JT65, JT65A, JT65B, JT65B2, JT65C, or JT65C will not change the mode in WSJT-X, or set the DX Callsign in WSJT-X.
    2. double-clicking a Spot Database Entry for which no sub-band is defined for the Entry's Mode within the Entry's band will result in no change of transceiver frequency or mode.
Hope this info finds the people who may need it in the future.

John Snell
jsnell6746@...
http://SnellsNotebook.us

Joe Subich, W4TV

No, this time the problem was that I was expecting too much interoperation and had blithely checked Spot Collector's WSJTX enable
box, blocking JTAlert.
Sounds like you *failed to enable multicast UDP* in WSJTX.

See Help -> WSJTX UDP Setup in JT-Alert.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-06-10 3:07 PM, John Snell wrote:
Moving to a brand new WIN10 computer, I got DXLabs, WSJTx working, but kept having a problem getting JTAlert to communicate with WSJTx. Back and forth between two notebooks that previously had run without problem looking at config's all the way from WIN10 installed services to the check boxes in each app.
Finally found the piece of information I needed (which was NOT that I may have started the apps with differing privileges! => used Task Manager to add "Elevated" column and checked). No, this time the problem was that I was expecting too much interoperation and had blithely checked Spot Collector's WSJTX enable box, blocking JTAlert.
Here is the applicable note from DXLab's Getting Started page:
https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStartedwithK1JTModesDirect
Limitations
JT-Alert and SpotCollector cannot be simultaneously connected to the same instance of WSJT-X via the same UDP address and port; if you wish to use JT-Alert,
uncheck the Enable box in the WSJT-X panel on SpotCollector's Configuration window's Spot Sources tab
start JT-Alert.
double-clicking a Spot Database Entry for which no sub-band <https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SubbandDefinitions> is defined for the Entry's Mode within the Entry's band will result in no change of transceiver frequency or mode.
Hope this info finds the people who may need it in the future.
John Snell
jsnell6746@gmail.com
http://SnellsNotebook.us

John Snell

Multicast to 239.255.0.0 and/or localhost 127.0.0.1 no difference fir this problem.

Read the DXLabs note carefully. Spotcollector WSJTx on = JTAlert off.

Has nothing to do with the WSJTx or JTAlert config directly.

John Snell
http://SnellsNotebook.us

On 2021-06-10 3:07 PM, John Snell wrote:
[...]

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 11/06/2021 5:46 am, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
Sounds like you *failed to enable multicast UDP* in WSJTX.

See Help -> WSJTX UDP Setup in JT-Alert.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Does DXLab support multicast UDP? I was under the impression that it did not.

de Laurie VK3AMA