locked Windows Update - JTALERT Lost the large callsign "block window"

Steve Roth - AD4K

I did a Windows 10 update today.  When running JTALERT my Malware blocker quarantined the JTALERT.EXE file.  I gave the blocker permission to ignore the entire Hamapps folder.

After that, I brought up my rig, then HRD, the WSJT-X the JTALERT.  WSJT-X is working as it should.   JTALERT came up normally but the new style window showing the callsign blocks won't come up.  This is the first difficulty I have had with the new updated JTALERT program.

Windows update usually make be make some adjustments but this one has me stymied.

Any suggestions?

Steve  AD4K

Steve Roth - AD4K

Oh, found that the old version of the "callsign blocks" window is running and not the new style.  Strange.

Steve Roth - AD4K

Okay, things getting worse.  Now the old style decode window is not working.

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 12/05/2021 9:32 am, Steve Roth - AD4K wrote:
I did a Windows 10 update today.  When running JTALERT my Malware blocker quarantined the JTALERT.EXE file.  I gave the blocker permission to ignore the entire Hamapps folder.

After that, I brought up my rig, then HRD, the WSJT-X the JTALERT.  WSJT-X is working as it should.   JTALERT came up normally but the new style window showing the callsign blocks won't come up.  This is the first difficulty I have had with the new updated JTALERT program.

Windows update usually make be make some adjustments but this one has me stymied.

Any suggestions?

Steve  AD4K

If the new Callsigns window is not showing, the likely culprit is your PC Protection software interfering with the JTAlertV2.Manager.exe process. All the new 2.50.0 introduced windows are controlled by that Manager process.

Are you able to bring up the "Help -> About" window from the main JTAlert window? If not that too is also controlled by the Manager process.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Steve Roth - AD4K

I could bring up the help windos but it will not close.  I am gonna delete the MalwareBytes program and start over.  Will advise.  Thanks

On 12/05/2021 9:55 am, Steve Roth - AD4K wrote:
Okay, things getting worse.  Now the old style decode window is not working.

Since you had a Windows update, the simplest fault-resolution task you can perform is a Windows restart. If that doesn't resolve your newly experienced issues then move onto managing your PC Protection software and allowing it to permit JTAlert (and its child processes) to run without interference.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Steve Roth - AD4K

Okay, I deleted MalwareBytes and got the program working as usual.  Funny, this is the first time that I had this problem EVER with old and new JTALERT programs.  I got JTALERT program mostly running by telling MalwareBytes to ignore the entire HamApps folder in the Program Files (X86) directory but it did not load the large, new decode window.

Anyway, thanks for the help.  It really stumped me.  Windows updates always cause something to change but this was new this time.

I will be able to figure it out eventually now that I have the program running as it was.  If I figure it out I will let you know.

Again, thanks for the help.  Regards, Steve AD4K

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 8:03 PM HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:
On 12/05/2021 9:55 am, Steve Roth - AD4K wrote:
Okay, things getting worse.  Now the old style decode window is not working.

Since you had a Windows update, the simplest fault-resolution task you can perform is a Windows restart. If that doesn't resolve your newly experienced issues then move onto managing your PC Protection software and allowing it to permit JTAlert (and its child processes) to run without interference.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Steve Roth - AD4K

Okay, got JTALERT running normally along with Malwarebytes.  I deleted Malwarebytes and got everything working with HRD, WSJT-X and JTALERT.  Then I downloaded Malwarebytes and ran it.  It found all the JTALERT instances and I told the program to always ignore them.  I closed everything down, rebooted and lit everything up again.

Malwarebytes has saved my butt several times when my Norton Antivirus did not find an offender.  So, if it stays running I will keep Malwarebytes.

Thanks much for the help Laurie.
Steve - AD4K