locked Windows Defender Indicates a Trojan in JTAlert 2.50.4

Paul

Laurie,

I downloaded the latest 64-bit JTAlert version this morning and installed it.  I launched the app and clicked on Settings at which time Windows Defender notified me of a threat.  When I investigated, I found the following:

Although I know you are very careful to confirm that your files are clean, because it is a ‘named threat’ (i.e., not ‘generic’), I thought I should mention it to you in case others have experienced the same ‘issue’.

FYI, this is my Windows info and latest Defender update status:

73…  Paul (VE3PS)

Tim Thorson

Laurie,

I Just got hit too...

I'm running:
image.png
 See capture below:

image.png

all was fine then...

This happened as soon as I went to setting (manage settings) F2

This may render the app DOA for users -

My 'Device Specs':

image.png
image.png

Included txt file for Operating State

73, Tim  KD6HOF

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 6:43 AM Paul <VE3PS@...> wrote:

Laurie,

I downloaded the latest 64-bit JTAlert version this morning and installed it.  I launched the app and clicked on Settings at which time Windows Defender notified me of a threat.  When I investigated, I found the following:

Although I know you are very careful to confirm that your files are clean, because it is a ‘named threat’ (i.e., not ‘generic’), I thought I should mention it to you in case others have experienced the same ‘issue’.

73…  Paul (VE3PS)

Tim Thorson

FYI

upon restart:

image.png

73, Tim  KD6HOF

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 9:01 AM Tim Thorson via groups.io <kd6hof=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Laurie,

I Just got hit too...

I'm running:
image.png
 See capture below:

image.png

all was fine then...

My 'Device Specs':

image.png
image.png

73, Tim  KD6HOF

Laurie,

73…  Paul (VE3PS)

Michael Black

Antivirus removed it.
Reinstall

Make an exclusion for the JTAlert program folder.

Mike

On Sunday, July 18, 2021, 11:24:49 AM CDT, Tim Thorson <kd6hof@...> wrote:

FYI

upon restart:

image.png

73, Tim  KD6HOF

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 9:01 AM Tim Thorson via groups.io <kd6hof=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Laurie,

I Just got hit too...

I'm running:
image.png
 See capture below:

image.png

all was fine then...

My 'Device Specs':

image.png
image.png

73, Tim  KD6HOF

Laurie,

73…  Paul (VE3PS)

Tim Thorson

73, Tim  KD6HOF

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 9:32 AM Michael Black via groups.io <mdblack98=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Antivirus removed it.
Reinstall

Mike

FYI

upon restart:

image.png

73, Tim  KD6HOF

Laurie,

I Just got hit too...

I'm running:
image.png
 See capture below:

image.png

all was fine then...

My 'Device Specs':

image.png
image.png

73, Tim  KD6HOF

Laurie,

73…  Paul (VE3PS)

Cliff

Go to Windows update and update your Microsoft Defender (assuming you are using it). Reinstall JTAlert and it will work fine. If you are using some other anti virus software you will need an exclusion as suggested by Mike.

Cliff, G4PZK

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Black via groups.io
Sent: 18 July 2021 17:33
To: Support@HamApps.groups.io
Subject: Re: [HamApps] Windows Defender Indicates a Trojan in JTAlert 2.50.4

Antivirus removed it.

Reinstall

Mike

FYI

upon restart:

73, Tim  KD6HOF

Laurie,

I Just got hit too...

I'm running:

See capture below:

all was fine then...

My 'Device Specs':

73, Tim  KD6HOF

Laurie,

73…  Paul (VE3PS)

Alan Sorum WL7CG

I just got this message. I was using JTAlert and it was working well. I then got a message that it might have been removed by the virus protection. Tried running it again and got the message that the file is missing. I tried downloading it again and the download was blocked.

I looked at the security settings and can't find how to whitelist it. I'm not a Windows person.

Any hints?

TNXS 73 Alan WL7CG

Jim Spears

I had the same Windows Defender alert show up which rendered JTAlert essentially dead.  now backed to previous version until this is cleared up.

Jim
N1NK

Michael Black

On Sunday, July 18, 2021, 04:55:15 PM CDT, Alan Sorum WL7CG <asorum@...> wrote:

I just got this message. I was using JTAlert and it was working well. I then got a message that it might have been removed by the virus protection. Tried running it again and got the message that the file is missing. I tried downloading it again and the download was blocked.

I looked at the security settings and can't find how to whitelist it. I'm not a Windows person.

Any hints?

TNXS 73 Alan WL7CG

Cliff

This is already cleared up. The author wrote that new version of JTAlert was submitted to Microsoft so that Defender would not indicate a false positive.

I had exactly the same problem as you. I updated Defender using Start->Settings->Update. It downloaded and installed the new virus definitions. I rebooted the machine and reinstalled JTAlert. It installed correctly with no false indication of a virus. If you do not update Defender then it will detect the false positive and delete the offending file rendering JTAlert useless.

Or as Mike has said, you can add an exception, better to update Defender and then it will just work.

Cliff, G4PZK

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Spears via groups.io
Sent: 18 July 2021 23:00
To: Support@HamApps.groups.io
Subject: Re: [HamApps] Windows Defender Indicates a Trojan in JTAlert 2.50.4

I had the same Windows Defender alert show up which rendered JTAlert essentially dead.  now backed to previous version until this is cleared up.

Jim
N1NK

Alan Sorum WL7CG

I think it's good. I updated the definitions file, restarted the computer, put in an exception and reloaded JTAlert. So far Windows hasn't decided to remove it again.

Thanks for the help.

73 Alan WL7CCG

Paul

Upon receiving the threat notification, I uninstalled the latest JTAlert.  Per comments in this thread, this morning I updated Windows Defender, rebooted the computer, downloaded JTAlert 2.50.4 again and reinstalled it.

It downloaded, installed and is now operating properly, without threat notification.

Thanks for all the comments, and thanks to Laurie for dealing with Microsoft on this.  This great app just keeps getting better!

73…  Paul (VE3PS)

Marlo Montanaro - KA2IRQ

For the umpteenth time folks- JTAlert is safe if you download it from the hamapps web site.  Just turn off your anti-virus for the download and install, turn it back on afterwards.  Include the JTAlert folders in your exception list. 

Microsoft will eventually fix their signatures so that the program is "accepted," but then, three months later, they will find a way to break it again and you'll start getting false positives.

The hacker world isn't after JTAlert.  It's safe.

Marlo
KA2IRQ