locked Windows Defender Indicates a Trojan in JTAlert 2.50.4

Paul

Laurie,

I downloaded the latest 64-bit JTAlert version this morning and installed it.  I launched the app and clicked on Settings at which time Windows Defender notified me of a threat.  When I investigated, I found the following:

Although I know you are very careful to confirm that your files are clean, because it is a ‘named threat’ (i.e., not ‘generic’), I thought I should mention it to you in case others have experienced the same ‘issue’.

FYI, this is my Windows info and latest Defender update status:

73…  Paul (VE3PS)

Tim Thorson

Laurie,

I Just got hit too...

I'm running:
image.png
 See capture below:

image.png

all was fine then...

This happened as soon as I went to setting (manage settings) F2

This may render the app DOA for users -

My 'Device Specs':

image.png
image.png

Included txt file for Operating State

73, Tim  KD6HOF

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 6:43 AM Paul <VE3PS@...> wrote:

Laurie,

I downloaded the latest 64-bit JTAlert version this morning and installed it.  I launched the app and clicked on Settings at which time Windows Defender notified me of a threat.  When I investigated, I found the following:

Although I know you are very careful to confirm that your files are clean, because it is a ‘named threat’ (i.e., not ‘generic’), I thought I should mention it to you in case others have experienced the same ‘issue’.

FYI, this is my Windows info and latest Defender update status:

73…  Paul (VE3PS)

Tim Thorson

FYI

upon restart:

image.png

73, Tim  KD6HOF

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 9:01 AM Tim Thorson via groups.io <kd6hof=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Michael Black

Antivirus removed it.
Reinstall

Make an exclusion for the JTAlert program folder.

Mike

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 9:32 AM Michael Black via groups.io <mdblack98=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Cliff

Go to Windows update and update your Microsoft Defender (assuming you are using it). Reinstall JTAlert and it will work fine. If you are using some other anti virus software you will need an exclusion as suggested by Mike.

Cliff, G4PZK

[...]

Alan Sorum WL7CG

I just got this message. I was using JTAlert and it was working well. I then got a message that it might have been removed by the virus protection. Tried running it again and got the message that the file is missing. I tried downloading it again and the download was blocked.

I looked at the security settings and can't find how to whitelist it. I'm not a Windows person.

Any hints?

TNXS 73 Alan WL7CG

Jim Spears

I had the same Windows Defender alert show up which rendered JTAlert essentially dead.  now backed to previous version until this is cleared up.

Jim
N1NK

Michael Black

On Sunday, July 18, 2021, 04:55:15 PM CDT, Alan Sorum WL7CG <asorum@...> wrote:

I just got this message. I was using JTAlert and it was working well. I then got a message that it might have been removed by the virus protection. Tried running it again and got the message that the file is missing. I tried downloading it again and the download was blocked.

I looked at the security settings and can't find how to whitelist it. I'm not a Windows person.

Any hints?

TNXS 73 Alan WL7CG

Cliff

This is already cleared up. The author wrote that new version of JTAlert was submitted to Microsoft so that Defender would not indicate a false positive.

I had exactly the same problem as you. I updated Defender using Start->Settings->Update. It downloaded and installed the new virus definitions. I rebooted the machine and reinstalled JTAlert. It installed correctly with no false indication of a virus. If you do not update Defender then it will detect the false positive and delete the offending file rendering JTAlert useless.

Or as Mike has said, you can add an exception, better to update Defender and then it will just work.

Cliff, G4PZK