locked Windows 11

Chip Harleman

Microsoft wanted to automatically update me from 10.  Any issues or has any testing by the group  been done that can be shared?
Thank you,

Thomas  W6TWH

Bill Barrett

Hello Tom-

Having an issue with multiple instances of WSJT-X and JTAlert where the second instance and others do not populate the new Call Sign Window.
Just sent a note to Laurie to see if it's me or a bug. He said JTAlert works well on Win 11, however, not sure why I am having this problem.
If anyone knows why I'm having this issue please let me know if there is anything I can do to fix it.
Thanks;

Bill W2PKY

On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 7:15 PM Chip Harleman <twhjr@...> wrote:
Microsoft wanted to automatically update me from 10.  Any issues or has any testing by the group  been done that can be shared?
Thank you,

Thomas  W6TWH

Jim Nuytens

IMO, you should hold off on a W11 upgrade until spring 2022. There are a few things that still need to be ironed out.

On Nov 3, 2021, at 7:15 PM, Chip Harleman <twhjr@...> wrote:

Microsoft wanted to automatically update me from 10.  Any issues or has any testing by the group  been done that can be shared?
Thank you,

Thomas  W6TWH

KL7TC - Bill

I upgraded to Windows 11 on Monday and have no issues with any ham programs so far.  I am using Ham Radio Deluxe, WSJT-X, JTAlert.  I ran Win-Test with no issues.  I haven't  tested any other software yet.  When I first rebooted, I wasn't getting any decodes so just opened the sound settings in windows and made sure they were still all set and it started working again.

KL7TC

--

Thanks and 73!  Bill

Bill Hunstein – KL7TC

Fairbanks, Alaska

Grid: BP64ev

Bill Barrett

Hello Bill-

Are you running multiple instances of JTAlert with the Call Signs Window open and seeing decodes in all Call Signs windows?
Thanks;
Bill W2PKY

On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 8:25 PM KL7TC - Bill <KL7TC.Alaska@...> wrote:
[...]

I am not running multiple instances of JTAlert.  I am only running one instance of WSJTX and JTAlert.  Sorry.

Thanks and 73!

Bill Hunstein – KL7TC

Fairbanks, Alaska

On 4/11/2021 10:15 am, Chip Harleman wrote:
Microsoft wanted to automatically update me from 10.  Any issues or has any testing by the group  been done that can be shared?
Thank you,

Thomas  W6TWH

JTAlert works fine with Win11. I personally run a new WIn11 pro pc and several of the JTAlert Test Team run WIn11, some since the pre-release preview versions. There have been no reported problems.

On 4/11/2021 11:50 am, Bill Barrett wrote:

Are you running multiple instances of JTAlert with the Call Signs Window open and seeing decodes in all Call Signs windows?
Thanks;
Bill W2PKY

That's because you're running multiple WSJT-X instances with incompatible udp server settings. You have one issuance running unicast (127.0.0.1) and the other multicast (244.0.0.1). JTAlert when running in a multi-instance environment requires that all WSJT-X instances be set to use multicast. You need to change your uncast WSJT-X instance to multicast for the UDP serve settings.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Dan Bathker

As the IT Chief for a major corporation remarked several years back, "I am Not interested in WIN XY until Service Pack 5 is released ...

https://www.lifewire.com/what-windows-service-pack-is-installed-2626084

Dan K6BLG
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 11/3/2021 4:34 PM, Jim Nuytens via groups.io wrote:
IMO, you should hold off on a W11 upgrade until spring 2022. There are a few things that still need to be ironed out.

On Nov 3, 2021, at 7:15 PM, Chip Harleman <twhjr@...> wrote:

Microsoft wanted to automatically update me from 10.  Any issues or has any testing by the group  been done that can be shared?
Thank you,

Thomas  W6TWH

--
Dan Bathker
PO Box 23
La Canada CA 91012

d.bathker@...

Bill Barrett

Hello Dan-

My CIO from way back IBM mainframe days was always one release back.

Bill W2PKY

On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 10:37 PM Dan Bathker <d.bathker@...> wrote:

[...]

chas cartmel

Mine is working well, however there are a few options for personalisation such as the taskbar and right clicking the desktop for options which have disappeared in Windows 11. It’s not worth it in my opinion. I have 2 desktops and a laptop as current working computers, upgraded one and intend to leave the rest.

73 Charlie

G4EST

www.g4est.me.uk

Stay safe out there

Microsoft wanted to automatically update me from 10.  Any issues or has any testing by the group  been done that can be shared?
Thank you,

Thomas  W6TWH

For more info visit www.bullguard.com

Dave Garber

I had no issues here

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 7:15 PM Chip Harleman <twhjr@...> wrote:
Microsoft wanted to automatically update me from 10.  Any issues or has any testing by the group  been done that can be shared?
Thank you,

Thomas  W6TWH

Larry Banks

Never buy the X.0 release of anything, including cars and radios...

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

On 11/3/2021 22:51, Bill Barrett wrote:
[...]

Captain Fantastic

What a lot of folks don't realize is that - once Microsoft told us that "Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows"... they have had ONE release of Windows 10 every year.

The spring (H1) release is the "feature release" and they will support it for only 18 months.
The fall (H2) release is the "service pack" for the H1 release. This is where they fix things that H1 broke. That's why Microsoft will support Windows 10 Enterprise for 30 months.

(A reference for this information can be found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/faq/windows)

This is why versions of Windows 10 Home/Pro released prior to 14-Dec 2021 are "out-of-support" and no longer maintained by Microsoft.

(A reference for this information can be found in the table here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10)

I'm quite certain that Microsoft will take the same approach for Windows 11.

To net this out...

We (CIOs) should avoid the H1 release, if we want to avoid unknowns... and install only H2 releases (of whatever Windows OS they offer us), as these are the service packs to fix things broken by the H1 release.

Seth, KC9TLG

Chip Harleman

I upgraded ... working great and see the application windows are better with Windows 11. All my applications running with my ic7610 seems to work great!  Thanks to the group and Laurie.

Thomas  W6TWH

Lawrence Dobranski

This is IF your machine supports Windows 11!  Both my shack machines do not!    Run the Microsoft PC Health Check App.  Both don’t have the required version of secure boot,  the required version of the Trusted Platform Module or a comparable processor.

These are an I7 and a Xeon chip.  I hope I don’t get forced to upgrade perfectly good hardware….

Lawrence, VA3IQ

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 10:35 AM Chip Harleman <twhjr@...> wrote:
I upgraded ... working great and see the application windows are better with Windows 11. All my applications running with my ic7610 seems to work great!  Thanks to the group and Laurie.

Thomas  W6TWH

Roger- AC6BW

I'm running an i7-6700, which is not supported for Win 11. I do have the required versions of secure boot, and trusted platform module.
I haven't installed Win 11 yet, per the procedure in the link.
But I believe it assumes that the CPU is the only item in your system that is not supported.
https://www.theverge.com/22715331/how-to-install-windows-11-unsupported-cpu-intel-amd-registry-regedit?fbclid=IwAR3MvVMVJQpum3kfdHUSsbVu79WOnCsFzvn3k59yIiuomcAGDWUjQbb9q3w

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 08:49 AM, Lawrence Dobranski wrote:
This is IF your machine supports Windows 11!  Both my shack machines do not!    Run the Microsoft PC Health Check App.  Both don’t have the required version of secure boot,  the required version of the Trusted Platform Module or a comparable processor.

These are an I7 and a Xeon chip.  I hope I don’t get forced to upgrade perfectly good hardware….

Lawrence, VA3IQ

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 10:35 AM Chip Harleman <twhjr@...> wrote:
I upgraded ... working great and see the application windows are better with Windows 11. All my applications running with my ic7610 seems to work great!  Thanks to the group and Laurie.

Thomas  W6TWH

Roger
AC6BW

Jim Nuytens

You can install Windows 11 on a machine that has none of the requirements. I did it on an AMD FX-6100 system, which is from 2012. No Secure Boot, no TPM of any kind, and the CPU is an AMD AM3

Now, while you can get W11 onto an unsupported machine, it remains to be seen what updates you'll get. You also have to be willing to have MS tell you to bugger off if you have issues.

On 11/4/2021 15:49, Lawrence Dobranski wrote:
This is IF your machine supports Windows 11!  Both my shack machines do not!    Run the Microsoft PC Health Check App.  Both don’t have the required version of secure boot,  the required version of the Trusted Platform Module or a comparable processor.

These are an I7 and a Xeon chip.  I hope I don’t get forced to upgrade perfectly good hardware….

Lawrence, VA3IQ

Pat N6PAT

I just installed windows 11 on my HP with Intel i7-9700 8 core and so far no issues. My Flex 6700 with Smart SDR seems OK as does WSJT-X and JTAlert.  I'm running 4 instances of each at the moment