Topics

locked Win 7 to 10

Joseph Hurd

Edited

Trying to import my JT Alert files from a Win 7 PC to a Win 10 PC.
Successfully copied my JT Alert file off the old Win 7 PC [C:\users\user name\appdata\local\hamapps] per the FAQs.
The FAQ lists the same file path to copy the file to for the new PC, but for Win 7 & 8 only, nothing about where to copy to in Win 10. I cannot find the same file path or folder in Win 10. Where do I copy/import the exported JTAlert files to on Win 10?

Michael Black

%LOCALAPPDATA%\HamApps

Mike W9MDB

On Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 04:22:05 PM CST, Joseph Hurd <jhboards@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Trying to import my JT Alert files from a Win 7 PC to a Win 10 PC.
Successfully copied my JT Alert file off the old Win 7 PC [C:\users\user name\appdata\local\hamapps] per the FAQs.
The FAQ lists the same file path to copy the file to for the new PC, but for Win 7 & 8 only, nothing about where to copy to in Win 10. I cannot find the same file path or folder in Win 10. Where do I copy/import the exported JTAlert files to on Win 10?

Joseph Hurd

Hi Mike,

Closest file I can find for HamApps is: C:\users\New Owner\AppData\Local

That folder has several other folders and .ini files in it.

Do I just copy my exported file into that folder - C:\users\New Owner\AppData\Local  - or into a folder within it?

Michael Black

You copy the whole HamApps folder in there.

Mike W9MDB

On Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 04:58:42 PM CST, Joseph Hurd <jhboards@...> wrote:

Hi Mike,

Closest file I can find for HamApps is: C:\users\New Owner\AppData\Local

That folder has several other folders and .ini files in it.

Do I just copy my exported file into that folder - C:\users\New Owner\AppData\Local  - or into a folder within it?

Joseph Hurd

Edited

Mike,

I tried copying the folder itself from my Win 7 PC, located at:

C:\users\user name\appdata\local\hamapps

to the folder on the Win 10 PC found by using the path you advised:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\HamApps

Opened JTAlert, closed it, restarted PC and opened JTAlert; still no data, all settings as the new install defaults to. I recalled that in the past I had a similar issue with other software trying to move a user's profile to a new PC [Mozilla Thunderbird]. After much frustration and failure copying the entire folder, I went to the folder on the old PC, then opened the folder and copied all of the individual folders and content [versus just right clicking and copying the folder itself], went to the new PC, opened up the destination folder and pasted the individual folders and content into the opened folder. Closed program, restarted PC and the problem was solved.

I tried this same approach here without success. I have tried deleting and reinstalling JTAlert
v2.16.17 and the files several times, as well as several re-starts in between. Can you advise what I am doing wrong or otherwise take me by the hand and walk me thru this? Thank you and others all for any guidance.

Larry Knain

I don't know specifically about JTAlert but some apps (like TQSL, iTunes) say to export data and settings on the old machine and import on the new machine as the correct way to migrate. That assumes of course there are export and import functions. It did work for TQSL.

73, Larry W6NWS

On 12/17/2020 4:08 PM, Joseph Hurd wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

Solved: I followed same procedure as above but; I opened the new folder in the new install on the new PC to the folder on the Win 10 PC found by using the path,
%LOCALAPPDATA%\HamApps
deleted all of the default installed contents found there, then copied in all the contents of the folder from the old machine into the new machine's [empty] folder. restarted and my old settings and wanted DXCC, states, etc. are now working. I was not paying enough attention at the time, but I think the root of the problem may have been that simply copying or dropping in the contents of the old machine's folder into the new machine's folder was not resulting in an overwriting of the existing contents and/or was creating duplicates of a couple of files in the folder.