locked V 2.50.x Observations

John Petrocelli

Hello,

  I installed 2.50.x on a spare laptop running Windows 10 and I offer some observations.
  All are intended to be constructive and I welcome any input & critique

  I do like the new release although the new window structure will require a bit of adjustment in my thinking - not too much though.

  The callsign window seems to have some limitation on its text size.
  For someone who is visually challenged, this could be an issue.

  The Main Window used to be attached to the callsign window along with the Menu.
  It would be nice if the Menu would be also available on the callsign window or an option to put (attach) the Main Window on the Callsign Window.

  As others have observed, (I use an ADIF file) the ADIF reading seems very much longer.
  My ADIF file has about 182,000 records Version 2.17.x took about 15 seconds to read it.
  Version 2.50.x takes about 95 seconds.
  As someone mentioned, this may be due to the .NET but I am not sure.
  The above numbers were on the same machine under Windows 10

  I did successfully make 1 QSO with the new version before going back to version 2.17.x/
  Note that I an running 2.17.x on a Windows 7 machine but I may try to get the .NET 5.0 working on that machine.
  If not, I shall clone my Win 10 machine so I can work with the new version without adversely impacting my primary desktop.

  Thank you Laurie for all your great efforts !!!

John
--

John R. Petrocelli - WA2HIP
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

My comments inline

On 14/04/2021 12:19 pm, John Petrocelli via groups.io wrote:
  I installed 2.50.x on a spare laptop running Windows 10 and I offer some observations.
  All are intended to be constructive and I welcome any input & critique

  I do like the new release although the new window structure will require a bit of adjustment in my thinking - not too much though.

  The callsign window seems to have some limitation on its text size.
  For someone who is visually challenged, this could be an issue.
FYI, unknown by many, I have a permanent visual disability (think pirate).
The Callsigns window like all the new 2.50.0 windows support zooming (text scaling), up to 200%. I personally run mine at 110%, but occasionally will bump it up to 130% for better visibility at the end of a long tiring day. See the "2.50.0 features" help file, "Standard Window Functionality" section. Make any of the new 2.50.0 windows active or the JTAlert window and hit F1 will open the new help file.

  The Main Window used to be attached to the callsign window along with the Menu.
  It would be nice if the Menu would be also available on the callsign window or an option to put (attach) the Main Window on the Callsign Window.
2.50.0 is a transitional build. Each subsequent build will remove some functionality from the old JTAlert window, eventually it will disappear completely (when all the old AutoIT based code is finally dumped). How the Settings controlled by the existing menus get implemented is still being considered. What I can say, any menus/settings that are window functionality specific will eventually be part of that window.

  As others have observed, (I use an ADIF file) the ADIF reading seems very much longer.
  My ADIF file has about 182,000 records Version 2.17.x took about 15 seconds to read it.
  Version 2.50.x takes about 95 seconds.
  As someone mentioned, this may be due to the .NET but I am not sure.
  The above numbers were on the same machine under Windows 10
This is a acknowledged defect and has been corrected. I have sent you a new build to test. After the defect correction, the 2.50.0 adif importer is back to being much faster than the 2.16.17 importer, which is how it should have been. Test results against a 183K QSO adif file, 1st image is 2.16.17 and the second is the fixed 2.50.0. Note the elapsed times and the throughput numbers ...

  I did successfully make 1 QSO with the new version before going back to version 2.17.x/
  Note that I an running 2.17.x on a Windows 7 machine but I may try to get the .NET 5.0 working on that machine.
  If not, I shall clone my Win 10 machine so I can work with the new version without adversely impacting my primary desktop.

  Thank you Laurie for all your great efforts !!!

John

Thanks for the words of support,

K0GU

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 01:25 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
The Callsigns window like all the new 2.50.0 windows support zooming (text scaling), up to 200%.
  Is this in JTAlert or Windows?

  Can I get rid of the country name being displayed and taking up an extra line?

  Sorry if these have been answered before. I have been accused of not being able to see the forest for the trees (American slang I guess).

73,  Jay  K0GU

Joe Subich, W4TV

Can I get rid of the country name being displayed and taking up an extra line?
Yes, in the Callsigns window click the gear icon or strike F2. Select
Callsigns and *uncheck* "Country".

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-04-16 5:13 PM, K0GU wrote:
On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 01:25 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:

The Callsigns window like all the new 2.50.0 windows support zooming (text
scaling), up to 200%.
Is this in JTAlert or Windows?
Can I get rid of the country name being displayed and taking up an extra line?
Sorry if these have been answered before. I have been accused of not being able to see the forest for the trees (American slang I guess).
73,  Jay  K0GU

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 17/04/2021 7:13 am, K0GU wrote:
The Callsigns window like all the new 2.50.0 windows support zooming (text scaling), up to 200%.
  Is this in JTAlert or Windows?

  Can I get rid of the country name being displayed and taking up an extra line?

  Sorry if these have been answered before. I have been accused of not being able to see the forest for the trees (American slang I guess).

73,  Jay  K0GU

Text scaling is within the JTAlert realm. It is independent of any Windows system-wide scaling you have set.

The JTAlert 2.50.0 introduced windows can be scaled independently of other JTAlert windows. For example, I have the Band Heat set at 170% so I can see it from across the room, while the Callsigns window is at 110%.

Getting rid of the Country line is easy, uncheck the "Country" checkbox under the "Options" popup of the Callsigns window. You will see the effect of the change in real-time, like 99% of all the option/settings of the new 2.50.0 windows.

I strongly recommend going through the "JTAlert 2.50.0 features" help file, its not overly large and easy to navigate with lots of images. All of what you asked is covered in that file.

de Laurie VK3AMA

K0GU

Edited

OK thanks guys and a thousand pardons. I finally read the "JTAlert 2.50 features" help file included with the new version and have adjusted a number of things. Not too tough if I was smart enough to RTFM first.

73,  Jay  K0GU

K0GU

Now we will see how well I really read the help file. Is there anyway to soften the background color of the call sign window(s). It used to be slightly greyed out. Maybe it still is and I can't tell. But I have 3x LARGE JTAlert windows running and that is a lot of bright. I turned the monitor brightness down a bit more than I would like for my bandscope.

Nag, nag, nag. Sorry :o)

--
73,  Jay  K0GU