Topics

locked V2.16.17 crashes after logging in HRD 6.7.0.323

DM1TS Torsten

Hi,
I had to do a complete change of my HAM software to a new PC. This worked well thanks to the backup options. Here runs now WSJT-X in V2.3.0, in addition JTALERT in V2.16.17 and HRD in V6.7.0.323.
As soon as I have made a QSO in WSJT-X the log window pops up and I confirm the log entry. HRD reports immediately afterwards that the QSO is also there in the log, I see the entry also immediately. At this moment JTALERT terminates without warning or indication of an error. This happens after every QSO. In the event log of Windows I find the following information:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>723</ EventRecordID>
<Correlation>
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>Application</channel>.
<Computer>DESKTOP-9VEL535</Computer>
<Security>
</system>
- <EventData>
<Data>JTAlert.exe</Data>
<Data>2.16.17.0</Data>
<Data>5fcaecfc</Data>
<Data>unknown</Data>
<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
<Data>00000000</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>05429b70</Data>
<Data>3834</Data>
<Data>01d6fbe80bcf1895</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\HamApps\JTAlert\JTAlert.exe</Data>
<Data>unknown</Data>
<Data>bee78c8a-bb85-41a7-9fc8-dd6c7df6da1b</Data>
<Data>
<Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Is there any idea for this, unfortunately I can't work anymore.

73 de Torsten
DM1TS, JO61OB

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 6/02/2021 5:20 am, DM1TS Torsten wrote:
Hi,
I had to do a complete change of my HAM software to a new PC. This worked well thanks to the backup options. Here runs now WSJT-X in V2.3.0, in addition JTALERT in V2.16.17 and HRD in V6.7.0.323.
As soon as I have made a QSO in WSJT-X the log window pops up and I confirm the log entry. HRD reports immediately afterwards that the QSO is also there in the log, I see the entry also immediately. At this moment JTALERT terminates without warning or indication of an error. This happens after every QSO. In the event log of Windows I find the following information:

-- snip --

Is there any idea for this, unfortunately I can't work anymore.

73 de Torsten
DM1TS, JO61OB
It is unlikely to be JTAlert 2.16.17, which is quite stable, released late last year with no similar reports. JTAlert will typically show an error window when there is a critical failure. Since it is quietly closing, I am suspicious that your PC protection software may be interfering, what do you use?

Try downgrading JTAlert to an earlier version, try 2.16.16 or 2.16.15. Both are available on the JTAlert download page @ https://hamapps.com/JTAlert/
Just run the setup, no need to uninstall first. Your configuration is safe and will not be altered or deleted.

de Laurie VK3AMA

DM1TS Torsten

Hi Laurie,
I have now downgraded to two versions back, disabled the virus scanner and also started JTAlert as administrator for testing. The behavior remains the same, it crashes abruptly and without a message after the entry of the QSO in the HRD logbook.

I am absolutely at a loss, it worked great with the old PC.

73 de Torsten
DM1TS, JO61OB

Am 05.02.2021 um 22:11 schrieb Laurie, VK3AMA:

[...]

an additionell information: at the new PC I use a other Username like on the old system. I found an issue in WSJT-X with the path to the %appdata% directory. From the backup it was the wrong username but now I correct this to the new user in the "audio tab" of WSJTX (Save Directory).

But there is no impact of the issue but I feel that the new username could be the cause. But I check the settings serveral times and can't find other wrong parameter in the paths :-(

[...]

Ron W3RJW

Torsten,

Also look at the path to HRD AppData, Roaming, HRDLLC ....   and the path to the HRD log.
Ron, W3RJW

DM1TS Torsten

Hi Ron,

thanks for the tip with the path, I suspect the error there. However, I have already searched repeatedly and fear that I will not find all the settings where I have to change the path. All installations were fresh and starting from scratch. The backups must have entered the wrong paths. The easiest thing would be to change all the corresponding ini files by hand and adjust the path variable. I just have to find out which files are relevant for this.

73 de Torsten
DM1TS, JO61OB

Am 06.02.2021 um 19:20 schrieb Ron W3RJW via groups.io:

Torsten,
Also look at the path to HRD AppData, Roaming, HRDLLC ....   and the path to the HRD log.
Ron, W3RJW

DM1TS Torsten

Hi Laurie,
I have experimented a lot and in the end just started from scratch: new hard disk in the PC, fresh Windows up to the current patch level 20H2 on it, all drivers for the hardware new and then first a fresh SmartSDR for the Flex, a new WSJT-X, a fresh HRD and also a fresh JTAlert in the respective latest versions. After that I did not restore the existing settings of the old system, but set everything new. Only the HRD logbook and the all.txt and the wsjtx_log.adi I have imported.
After that it worked in principle again, JTAlert no longer crashes abruptly and without message. Remaining is a problem in the interaction between WSJT-X and JTAlert, but I describe that in a separate mail.