Topics

US State missing after becoming worked B4

Tom NS8K

Just recently started using the Decodes window and today I noticed something odd. After I work a US station and their status goes to B4, their state information disappears in the decodes window.  After checking a bit, it also disappears when I mouse over the call in the main UI.

I have tried restarting WSJT-X and JTAlert and Log4OM and clearing the B4 cache, but no joy.  I can see many other B4 calls and they all show a state.  I have LoTW confirmation for most of those calls that show the state, but not all.  On a lark, I worked one of the stations I had worked before and it was showing a state.  After working them their state no longer showed.  They were a B4 with state before I worked them and became a B4 without state after.

I have noticed this before in the main UI with a mouse over but I dismissed it.  It just became obvious as I started using the decodes window.

WSJT-X ver 2.12  JTAlert 2.16.1 Log4OM 2.4.0 Win 10 1909 build 18363.720

Tom - NS8K

Tom NS8K

A little more info. After I re-work a station that was a B4 but showing their state, not only is the state missing on new decodes but the state has also disappeared from all of the previous decodes that are still in the Decodes Window, even though they had the state information before I re-worked them.

I also tried clearing the decodes display and refreshing it.  That didn't change anything either.

Tom - NS8K

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 23/03/2020 4:57 am, Tom NS8K wrote:
[...]

Do you have a Callsign I can check and use for testing?
It may be a database issue, I'll need to investigate further.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Tom NS8K

Laurie,

I worked KB4REC and W0JRJ as new stations and state disappeared on both.  I then re-worked W3CVD and WB0N.  W3CVD had been previously worked on 15 Nov 2018.  WB0N was worked on 15 Aug 2019.  Both showed their state but after I worked them they both did not.

Hope that helps.  I did update the callsign database to 2020.03.19 before operating today.  Let me know if I can do anything else.

Tom - NS8K

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 23/03/2020 9:37 am, Tom NS8K wrote:
I worked KB4REC and W0JRJ as new stations and state disappeared on both.  I then re-worked W3CVD and WB0N.  W3CVD had been previously worked on 15 Nov 2018.  WB0N was worked on 15 Aug 2019.  Both showed their state but after I worked them they both did not.

Hope that helps.  I did update the callsign database to 2020.03.19 before operating today.  Let me know if I can do anything else.

Tom - NS8K
Tnx Tom,

I find it always best to use the Callsigns that have exhibited problems even when it is unlikely the Callsign is the issue, which based on your description I believe is the case. Once I have a fix I'll send a new build link for you to test, but that may not be today.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Gavin Bennett

Hi Laurie

I have also encountered this as described by Tom.

Regards

Gavin ZL3GAV

Tom NS8K

Hi Laurie

I have also encountered this as described by Tom.

Regards

Gavin ZL3GAV
Gavin,

 Thanks for checking in.  Which logger are you using?  I'm using Log4OM V2.

Tom - NS8K

WB5JJJ - George

Edited

Will it ever be possible to manually enter a callsign/band/mode into the worked B4 database, that for one reason or another does not go away in normal operations?  I usually just work them again and all is good.

This did not seem to be a problem before the V2 database was created and I had to rescan my external log.  WSJTx shows me that I have worked a station, but JTA says that I have not.  When it does occur, it's usually an older contact before V2 db that resurfaces.  And no, I don't have a recent example.

For the 99.99% of contacts, this is not a problem, but does make me do a double take when they conflict.  But now with the timer introduced for reducing the number of announcements, it's much more tolerable.  I love that feature.

I use JTA a bit above it's intended use by manually entering all of my DXCC and States into the FT8 section, by band, as shown in my LoTW.  I do this anytime LoTW Verifies a new one on a new band and any mode.  That way, I have a real time running total of what I need at any given time.  If an ATNO pops up, I know it immediately and give them a try.  If I need specifics such as call/band/mode, I always refer to my logging program and LoTW as it's my final decision maker.  JTA does a great job and "alerts" me for something I need to check on.  I am not trying to get any awards for FT8/FT4, so this is not a problem for me.

Thanks for a great program.
--
73's
George - WB5JJJ

Gavin Bennett

Hi Tom

Logger is Ham Radio Deluxe.

73

Gavin ZL3GAV

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 25/03/2020 2:19 am, WB5JJJ - George wrote:
Will it ever be possible to manually enter a callsign/band/mode into the worked B4 database, that for one reason or another does not go away in normal operations?  I usually just work them again and all is good.

No, very unlikely.

The worked B4
cache database is memory based. It is lost whenever JTAlert is restarted or the cache is explicitly cleared. When the cache database is cleared or empty JTAlert performs inital B4 checks against the enabled logger. If you make changes to your logger QSOs or delete QSOs while JTAlert is running you will need to either clear the B4 cache or restart JTAlert.

Do not confuse this with the B4LogV2.mdb file use by "NO Log" users which acts as a minimal log, it is not the B4 cache database.

de Laurie VK3AMA

John Peck

I recently noticed in my HRD log some US contacts do not have the state code filled in, while most others do. When I double click the entry I find that in every case that I have looked at this happens when there have been two or more contacts with that station. I can get the state back by forcing a QRZ lookup. I suspect this behavior is linked to the original problem described in this thread. BTW, I am using current versions of HRD, WSJT, and JTAlert.