locked Upgrade from 2-16-15 #FT8

David Gould

I can only see the release notes  back to 2.50.1.  Is there anything between 2.16.15 and 2.16.17 that I need to be aware of before jumping to 2.50.7?

Is it possible to view the JTAlert 2.50 features document before I install it, the release notes say to read it, which I would like to do before I commit to updating.

I am still using W7 home premium 64.   Is there any up to date advice about installing .NET 5 (desktop version) on W7 other than just trying it and see what happens?

73,
Dave G3UEG

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 8/11/2021 5:03 am, David Gould wrote:
I can only see the release notes  back to 2.50.1.  Is there anything between 2.16.15 and 2.16.17 that I need to be aware of before jumping to 2.50.7?

Is it possible to view the JTAlert 2.50 features document before I install it, the release notes say to read it, which I would like to do before I commit to updating.

I am still using W7 home premium 64.   Is there any up to date advice about installing .NET 5 (desktop version) on W7 other than just trying it and see what happens?

73,
Dave G3UEG

Dave,

JTAlert provides for painless upgrading and downgrading between versions. To upgrade or downgrade is a simple matter of running the installer for the version you which to switch to. There is no need to uninstall first and no special tasks to perform except to not have JTAlert running. If you install 2.50.7 and decide you don't like it then you only need to run an old 2.16.x installer. Nothing else needs to be done.

As for the NET 5 Desktop Runtime and Win7, despite Microsoft officially not supporting Win7, I have not encountered anyone running Win7 who was unable to install the runtime and have JTAlert 2.50.x work correctly. It appears that the MS is not enforcing the Win7 requirements in the NET 5 installer. I suspect that will change eventually.

As for past release notes beyond those on the HamApps website, they are provided within the main JTAlert Help file (file 1.) but that is only available after installing JTAlert. The 2 help files included with JTAlert installer have been uploaded to HamApps.com, they can be downloaded from here...

  1. Main JTAlert help file which covers all the old functionality that is not include in the new 2.50.x series code-base. Download

  2. JTAlert 2.50 Features Help file. Download

Note: The above two files will likely not show any content due to Windows security and the help files being sourced from the Internet. You will need to open the properties of each file via a right-click menu and tick the "Unblock" checkbox. This only needs to be done once per file and is not needed if the files were installed by the Installer

de Laurie VK3AMA

David Gould

Thanks Laurie.

Thanks for the reassurance re .NET 5 and W7.    I will study the V2.50 help file, there is certainly a lot of changes.

73,
Dave G3UEG