locked updating computer

deni

Hello All.

I am very soon upgrading my computer used for radio collective of programs.  I need to know specifically which files I need to move over from old to new so the changeover is painless.
Thanks
deni, WBØTAX

Michael Black

Help/FAQ

Mike W9MDB
Inline image

On Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 08:59:16 AM CDT, deni <deni@...> wrote:

Hello All.

I am very soon upgrading my computer used for radio collective of
programs.  I need to know specifically which files I need to move over
from old to new so the changeover is painless.
Thanks
deni, WBØTAX

deni

Thanks Mike,
Sure looks easy enough
deni - wb0tax

On 5/12/2021 9:18 AM, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
Help/FAQ

Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 08:59:16 AM CDT, deni <deni@...> wrote:

Hello All.

I am very soon upgrading my computer used for radio collective of
programs.  I need to know specifically which files I need to move over
from old to new so the changeover is painless.
Thanks
deni, WBØTAX

chas cartmel

You say you are updating the computer. Does this include new Drives, perhaps HDD to SSD? When I upgrade my computers, I run 2 main ones, I either use the same disks in the new one or clone old to new. The only thing I need to do other than this is ensure the correct motherboard drivers are installed. If you are changing the computer as a whole you can still clone the drives, or connect old drives into the new computer either physically or remotely by running both on the network, WiFi or cabled.

73 Charlie
G4EST
www.g4est.me.uk
Stay safe out there

I am very soon upgrading my computer used for radio collective of
programs.? I need to know specifically which files I need to move over
from old to new so the changeover is painless.
Thanks
deni, WB?TAX

For more info visit www.bullguard.com

Donald Hellen

Deni,

Regarding which programs/files to keep, I'd like to mention this. If you have any paid-for programs, ham or not, back them up first, then uninstall them. Uninstalling them will give you your activation back (with most programs). If the program has an export/import function, you won't need to back up the program, just the data, and a flash drive might be a good chose for that, or use an external hard drive.

Before uninstalling, you could use something like Aomei backup, Easus Todo backup, or another free backup program and back up to an external hard drive. When you've reinstalled your programs, you can use the backup program to restore the folders of the programs to make them like they were before.

Don't forget that some programs use the apps/data folder to store some things instead of putting them in the program files folder. I wish Windows hadn't separated program files into two areas, but they have. Some programs let you avoid this, like my email program. For my email, I copy everything to a flash drive then restore to the root folder (C:\). This came in handy when I added my email program to a new laptop.

Don't forget the usual things to back up, like your data folders, and if you need to have your browser's bookmarks, either export them then later import them, or back up your browser's folders (including the apps/data folder).

As for how to drill down to the apps/data folder, I'll leave that for someone else to explain if you need that information.

Donald
AD8DY