Topics

locked unsuccessful contacts with 7q7ru

Joe - W9RF

Good afternoon group.

Since yesterday evening 7q7ru has heard my call and called me down to his frequency (Fox/Hound) 9 times with out a successfully confirmation.

After a few back and forth with the signal report (which has been very good reports) they throw me up to a higher frequency and leave me there and go on calling other calls or calling CQ.

Are they running a different software that is not compatible with JTAlert/WSJT-X?
or is it possible a setting has been changed with my software?

I tested my software by making other contacts (not Fox/Hound) so unless the problem id something with Fox/Hound my software is working..

Thanks for any help..

73,

W9RF - Joe

Roger M

It is normal for the Fox to push you up to a higher offset frequency, between 500 - 1000 Hz, if he has not successfully decoded you after 3 cycles in the 0 - 500 Hz frequency slot. At that point, your QSO is in limbo. Your best course of action is to start over by calling him with a TX1 above 1000 Hz.
The SW on your end is working as it should.

Roger
AC6BW

Joe - W9RF

Roger,

I understand that but with signal reports +4 to him and -01 to me, I know he doesn't have a problem hearing me.

Now, why can't he decode me (maybe that should be my question)

6 times in a row last evening he pushed me to a higher 500-1000 freq and after a minute or so I went back above 1000 and called him again, after he called a few more calls I was called back down to his freq again.

This went on for over an hour and finally he went qrt.

On Sunday, November 15, 2020, 3:12:09 PM CST, Roger M via groups.io <ac6bw@...> wrote:

It is normal for the Fox to push you up to a higher offset frequency, between 500 - 1000 Hz, if he has not successfully decoded you after 3 cycles in the 0 - 500 Hz frequency slot. At that point, your QSO is in limbo. Your best course of action is to start over by calling him with a TX1 above 1000 Hz.
The SW on your end is working as it should.

Roger
AC6BW

Björn SM7IUN

Likely since LIDS are repeatedly calling him below 1000Hz.
The Fox will not respond to them, they just QRM.

Björn SM7IUN

Den sön 15 nov. 2020 kl 22:05 skrev ray cathode via groups.io <ray_cathode1=yahoo.com@groups.io>:

Good afternoon group.

Since yesterday evening 7q7ru has heard my call and called me down to his frequency (Fox/Hound) 9 times with out a successfully confirmation.

After a few back and forth with the signal report (which has been very good reports) they throw me up to a higher frequency and leave me there and go on calling other calls or calling CQ.

Are they running a different software that is not compatible with JTAlert/WSJT-X?
or is it possible a setting has been changed with my software?

I tested my software by making other contacts (not Fox/Hound) so unless the problem id something with Fox/Hound my software is working..

Thanks for any help..

73,

W9RF - Joe

Joe - W9RF

Bjorn,

I fail to see what that has to do with my situation, I always call above 1000 and don't hear anyone from 500-1000 except for the ones they throw up there, and that's only for a couple of passes.

So how does that explain my problem?

On Sunday, November 15, 2020, 3:39:50 PM CST, Björn SM7IUN <bjorn@...> wrote:

[...]

Joe,
Like Bjorn said, the LIDS who don't know how to operate F/H mode see you working (or attempting to work) the DX in the 0 - 500 Hz slot, after the Fox has pushed you down in frequency. Then, they decide to call him in that same frequency slot, which creates QRM. After 3 tries, the Fox gives up.You say that you got dropped 6 times, so this may be a long shot answer, but it's certainly something to consider. I see these kinds of problems occur in every F/H operation. It can become a big mess.

I assume that your time is set accurately. I was working 7Q7RU today, and his time looked accurate on my end.
Roger
AC6BW

Joe - W9RF

Roger,

it seems very strange that they would call at the 0-500 slot when I do.
That doesn't explain why other calls are verified.

9 Times total 6 last night and 3 so far today, that's not coincidence

My time is set every 30 minutes with D4, always well withing .2 seconds, besides I don't think they would call me if they couldn't decode me above 1000.

73,

W9RF - Joe

On Sunday, November 15, 2020, 4:00:52 PM CST, Roger M via groups.io <ac6bw@...> wrote:

Joe,
Like Bjorn said, the LIDS who don't know how to operate F/H mode see you working (or attempting to work) the DX in the 0 - 500 Hz slot, after the Fox has pushed you down in frequency. Then, they decide to call him in that same frequency slot, which creates QRM. After 3 tries, the Fox gives up.You say that you got dropped 6 times, so this may be a long shot answer, but it's certainly something to consider. I see these kinds of problems occur in every F/H operation. It can become a big mess.

I assume that your time is set accurately. I was working 7Q7RU today, and his time looked accurate on my end.
Roger
AC6BW

Michael Aust

Worked them on CW on 40m and 20m
Mike
WB6DJI

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

On Sunday, November 15, 2020, ray cathode via groups.io <ray_cathode1@...> wrote:

[...]

OK, fair enough. Yes, it does seem strange.
All I can suggest is keep trying. Are you using WSJT-X, or JTDX? I recently switched over to JTDX, because it has better decode sensitivity, as well as some other features that I like. If you have both programs installed, perhaps you can try one or the other in F/H mode, and see if that makes a difference.
Also, it's possible that something is not configured correctly on the Fox end, but I wouldn't know exactly what. There are a lot of settings that the Fox can enable.
Roger
AC6BW

Joe - W9RF

Roger,

I'm using WSJT-X, always have and have never had a problem with F/H mode.

It's not a huge problem, I already have 7Q confirmed on 6 bands, it's just very strange I can't get a confirmation when they have called me down 9 times with very good signal reports.

Was going to try tonight but I see there are no spots other than some say power outage and other say software problems.

73's es tnx fer the help..

W9RF - Joe

On Sunday, November 15, 2020, 6:52:45 PM CST, Roger M via groups.io <ac6bw@...> wrote:

Joe,
OK, fair enough. Yes, it does seem strange.
All I can suggest is keep trying. Are you using WSJT-X, or JTDX? I recently switched over to JTDX, because it has better decode sensitivity, as well as some other features that I like. If you have both programs installed, perhaps you can try one or the other in F/H mode, and see if that makes a difference.
Also, it's possible that something is not configured correctly on the Fox end, but I wouldn't know exactly what. There are a lot of settings that the Fox can enable.
Roger
AC6BW

Joe - W9RF

Mike,

working them is not a problem, I have them worked on 15 cw, 20 cw, 40 cw and 20 ssb, it's just FT8 F/H that doesn't work for me.

73,

W9RF - Joe

On Sunday, November 15, 2020, 6:37:04 PM CST, Michael Aust via groups.io <ava622@...> wrote:

[...]

I finally worked him just now on 10.131 but I was NOT in f/h mode, although he is in f/h mode, unless he switched on the fly, go figure??

Called him at 1500 and he did not call me to his freq but we exchanged reports and got a RR73 from him..

73,

W9RF - Joe

On Sunday, November 15, 2020, 6:52:45 PM CST, Roger M via groups.io <ac6bw@...> wrote:

Joe,
OK, fair enough. Yes, it does seem strange.
All I can suggest is keep trying. Are you using WSJT-X, or JTDX? I recently switched over to JTDX, because it has better decode sensitivity, as well as some other features that I like. If you have both programs installed, perhaps you can try one or the other in F/H mode, and see if that makes a difference.
Also, it's possible that something is not configured correctly on the Fox end, but I wouldn't know exactly what. There are a lot of settings that the Fox can enable.
Roger
AC6BW

Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

Hi,
I find getting a new one for the log, even rare ones, like shooting fish in a barrel. Here is how I do it.
First, I use JTDX and would advise using it, but not just for its better coding ability.
Second, one HAS to work split all the time, I do. Joe, there is no need for calling to a freq.
Finally, there is no such thing as 'tail gating' in any JT mode or any similarly timed mode. I only mention this as this way of working DX was mentioned by somebody held in high regard in the JT community and indeed by me. How can there be such a thing when everybody TXs at exactly the same time? It is logistically impossible.
Working split is the key as I think the majority calls the DX stn on their TX freq making it difficult for the DX to tell who is calling. I park my TX freq in a silent part of the band. I stop TXing now and then to check if the freq I am using is still silent. I just keep my call going and get a hit before my 6min WD stops the TX. JTDX has a feature where the RMB click will place the TX freq on the graph and a LMB click will place the RX freq. The latter is not needed much but the RMB functionality is indispensable.
This is particularly useful for UK stations working FT8 as we only have the first 10MHz of the FT8 band.
--
73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

Joe - W9RF

Roger,

For what it's worth here is another update on my unsuccessful confirmation with 7q7ru in F/H mode.

Yesterday evening the problem on 30 meters F/H mode was remedied buy switching out of F/H mode.

Same thing happened to me today.

While calling them at 18.095 F/H mode I was answered with a +1 report both ways and after a few exchanges I was thrown up to the 500+ slot and they began calling other calls.

I took Jtalert/WSJT-X out of F/H mode and called again with plain FT8 at 1325, third try they answered me, did NOT pull me down to their freq, and after 2 exchanges they gave me a confirmation (RR73)

SO, if anyone is having the same problem I have been experiencing I would suggest giving a plain FT8 a try.

I feel the only answer is software incompatibility at some level.

and before anyone asks, this is what I understand to be F/H  mode.

182145 Tx 1325 ~ 7Q7RU W9RF EM57

182200 1 0.1 286 ~ K4PX RR73; NB2P <7Q7RU> -10

182200 1 0.1 346 ~ W9RF 7Q7RU +01

182215 Tx 1325 ~ 7Q7RU W9RF R+01

182230 1 0.1 346 ~ W9RF 7Q7RU +01

182245 Tx 1325 ~ 7Q7RU W9RF R+01

182300 6 0.1 286 ~ W9RF RR73; W1KG <7Q7RU> -04

On Sunday, November 15, 2020, 9:07:50 PM CST, ray cathode via groups.io <ray_cathode1@...> wrote:

[...]

It's not the DX that pulls you down in frequency. It's the logic in your WSJT-X just following the F/H protocol.

The fact that you succeeded just meant they could decode you correctly and has nothing to do with F/H or not.
Or software compatibility for that matter.

If there are lots of LIDS using plain FT8 calling on or around the DX' frequency, you will struggle
to make QSO with F/H since the frequency you move to (i.e. the carrier of the responding stream)
is clobbered. If you are unlucky, the secondary (random but below 1000Hz) frequency the software
moves you to after three failed attempts may still be that of a LID.

Björn SM7IUN

On Sunday, November 15, 2020, 6:52:45 PM CST, Roger M via groups.io <ac6bw=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Joe,
OK, fair enough. Yes, it does seem strange.
All I can suggest is keep trying. Are you using WSJT-X, or JTDX? I recently switched over to JTDX, because it has better decode sensitivity, as well as some other features that I like. If you have both programs installed, perhaps you can try one or the other in F/H mode, and see if that makes a difference.
Also, it's possible that something is not configured correctly on the Fox end, but I wouldn't know exactly what. There are a lot of settings that the Fox can enable.
Roger
AC6BW

Joe - W9RF

Bjorn,

There might be some validity in your reasoning BUT I will stick with the PLAIN FT8 (at least for 7q7ru)

9 times of making contact then getting put up to the 500_ slot is not coincidence.

I just made another qso on 20 meters with 7q7ru in PLAIN FT8 mode (4'th call) fairly bad signal reports.

213430 -10 0.1 289 ~ CQ 7Q7RU KH67

213445 Tx 1325 ~ 7Q7RU W9RF EM57

213500 -15 0.1 348 ~ W9RF 7Q7RU -06

213515 Tx 1325 ~ 7Q7RU W9RF R-15

213530 -16 0.1 348 ~ W9RF 7Q7RU -06

213545 Tx 1325 ~ 7Q7RU W9RF R-16

213600 -11 0.1 288 ~ W9RF RR73; K8SIX <7Q7RU> -04

213615 Tx 1325 ~ 7Q7RU W9RF R-16

213630 -11 0.1 289 ~ W9RF 7Q7RU RR73

213646 Tx 1325 ~ 7Q7RU W9RF 73

73,

W9RF - Joe

On Monday, November 16, 2020, 3:24:37 PM CST, Björn SM7IUN <bjorn@...> wrote:

[...]

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 17/11/2020 8:49 am, ray cathode via groups.io wrote:
There might be some validity in your reasoning BUT I will stick with the PLAIN FT8 (at least for 7q7ru)

9 times of making contact then getting put up to the 500_ slot is not coincidence.

I just made another qso on 20 meters with 7q7ru in PLAIN FT8 mode (4'th call) fairly bad signal reports.

Could it be your very old WSJT-X version?
2.1.2 is rather dated.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Joe - W9RF

Laurie,

I suppose it could be but did the parameters for F/H change since 2.1.2?

I'll upgrade and see what happens

73,

W9RF - Joe

On Monday, November 16, 2020, 4:05:42 PM CST, Laurie, VK3AMA <hamapps.support@...> wrote:

On 17/11/2020 8:49 am, ray cathode via groups.io wrote:
> There might be some validity in your reasoning BUT I will stick with
> the PLAIN FT8 (at least for 7q7ru)
>
> 9 times of making contact then getting put up to the 500_ slot is not
> coincidence.
>

> I just made another qso on 20 meters with 7q7ru in PLAIN FT8 mode
> (4'th call) fairly bad signal reports.

Could it be your very old WSJT-X version?
2.1.2 is rather dated.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Joe Subich, W4TV

Joe,

Are you sure 7q7ru is using WSJTX and not a [garbage] clone like MSHV
or JTDX?

Some of the clones do not implement the F/H protocol correctly but
do allow for multiple simultaneous QSOs. It may be that 7q7ru is
using one of the incompatible software packages and using the
*NON F/H* mode in WSJTX is the correct way to operate!

73,

... Joe, W4TV

Laurie,
On Monday, November 16, 2020, 4:05:42 PM CST, Laurie, VK3AMA <hamapps.support@vkdxer.com> wrote:
On 17/11/2020 8:49 am, ray cathode via groups.io wrote:
There might be some validity in your reasoning BUT I will stick with
the PLAIN FT8 (at least for 7q7ru)

9 times of making contact then getting put up to the 500_ slot is not
coincidence.

I just made another qso on 20 meters with 7q7ru in PLAIN FT8 mode
(4'th call) fairly bad signal reports.

Could it be your very old WSJT-X version?
2.1.2 is rather dated.
de Laurie VK3AMA

wc3w

I definitely believe what you are saying is true—I cannot get my band activity screen to scroll when changing to F/H….I can hear the signals coming in but it refuses to decode!

Mark
WC3W