locked Unable to log to DXKeeper

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

Subject Line changed to reflect true nature of problem.

On 26/06/2021 7:12 am, Mark Basel wrote:
Hello! if I'm following correctly, im using DX Keeper not HRD so in need to find the correct file for DX keeper to use? Can you tell me which one?  My log file path I see in both JTAlert and DX keeper is C:\DXLab\DXKeeper\Databases\KF0AOC.mdb Sorry for being a knuckle head, not computer savvy

I picked up the HRD log reference in another members signature and incorrectly took it as part of your message.

If JTAlert and DXKeeper are agreeing on the same Log file path, which they should as JTAlert automatically determines the current active DXKeeper log file by examining the same Registry entry that DXKeeper uses to record the Log file path.

Does the QSO actually make it into DXKeeper despite the JTAlert warning popup? Yes or No?
  • If Yes, see the "Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)" help topic. Look for the "Warning about QSO not logged when it is logged" entry. Access via the Main JTAlert window "Help" menu.

• If No, then the comms between JTAlert and DXKeeper are likely being blocked. The most common causes are Protection software interference or running DXKeeper with elevated privileges (Set to Run as Administrator). There is normally no need to run DXKeeper (or DXLab Launcher) elevated if the DXLab suite is installed correctly outside the protected "Program Files (X86)" directory tree.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Mark Basel <mb02731@...>

Hello, yes the QSO makes it to the DX keeper log but does not automatically upload to Lotw which is why Im running this two programs to begin with. I have increased the delay to 20 seconds time to log the QSO, still no luck. Guess I can do them manually but thats a PITA and defeats the reason to use DXKeeper in the first place...

On Jun 25, 2021, at 4:33 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:

Subject Line changed to reflect true nature of problem.

On 26/06/2021 7:12 am, Mark Basel wrote:
Hello! if I'm following correctly, im using DX Keeper not HRD so in need to find the correct file for DX keeper to use? Can you tell me which one?  My log file path I see in both JTAlert and DX keeper is C:\DXLab\DXKeeper\Databases\KF0AOC.mdb Sorry for being a knuckle head, not computer savvy

I picked up the HRD log reference in another members signature and incorrectly took it as part of your message.

If JTAlert and DXKeeper are agreeing on the same Log file path, which they should as JTAlert automatically determines the current active DXKeeper log file by examining the same Registry entry that DXKeeper uses to record the Log file path.

Does the QSO actually make it into DXKeeper despite the JTAlert warning popup? Yes or No?
  • If Yes, see the "Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)" help topic. Look for the "Warning about QSO not logged when it is logged" entry. Access via the Main JTAlert window "Help" menu.

• If No, then the comms between JTAlert and DXKeeper are likely being blocked. The most common causes are Protection software interference or running DXKeeper with elevated privileges (Set to Run as Administrator). There is normally no need to run DXKeeper (or DXLab Launcher) elevated if the DXLab suite is installed correctly outside the protected "Program Files (X86)" directory tree.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Dave AA6YQ

Hello, yes the QSO makes it to the DX keeper log but does not automatically upload to Lotw which is why Im running this two programs to begin with. I have increased the delay to 20 seconds time to log the QSO, still no luck. Guess I can do them manually but thats a PITA and defeats the reason to use DXKeeper in the first place...

+ To determine why the logged QSO is not being submitted to LoTW, please do the following:

1. on the General tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window, check the "Log debugging info" box

2. terminate DXKeeper

3. start DXKeeper

4. log a QSO from JT-Alert

5. on the General tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window, uncheck the "Log debugging info" box

6. attach the errorlog.txt file from your DXKeeper folder to an email message, and send the email message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

Dave, AA6YQ

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 26/06/2021 9:44 am, Mark Basel wrote:
yes the QSO makes it to the DX keeper log but does not automatically upload to Lotw which is why Im running this two programs to begin with. I have increased the delay to 20 seconds time to log the QSO, still no luck. Guess I can do them manually but thats a PITA and defeats the reason to use DXKeeper in the first place...

If 20 seconds is insufficient time for DXKeeper to write the QSO to its log file that suggests to me that DXKeeper is hanging while it tries to upload the QSO to LoTW. My understanding is that DXKeeper doesn't write the QSO to the physical log gile until after it has completed any online uploads .

See this response from Dave AA6YQ the DXLab author to help isolate the cause of LoTW upload failing.

Until your LoTW upload failings are resolved, turn off the LoTW upload setting in JTAlert, under the Settings window, "Logging -> DXLab DXKeeper" section. This will stop the "Unable to Confirm" popups. Once your LoTW uploads failures are resolved, do a bulk upload of un-submitted to LoTW QSOs from within DXKeeper.

FWIW, I never upload to LoTW (via DXKeeper) with each logged QSO. I simply do a bulk upload at the end-of0the-day, sometimes only once a week. I personally don't understand why some feel the need to upload each QSO in real-time, unless your QSO partner is doing the same, there will not be that instant gratification, you still need to wait for them to upload.

de Laurie VK3AMA

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 26/06/2021 9:44 am, Mark Basel wrote:
yes the QSO makes it to the DX keeper log but does not automatically upload to Lotw which is why Im running this two programs to begin with. I have increased the delay to 20 seconds time to log the QSO, still no luck. Guess I can do them manually but thats a PITA and defeats the reason to use DXKeeper in the first place...

If 20 seconds is insufficient time for DXKeeper to write the QSO to its log file that suggests to me that DXKeeper is hanging while it tries to upload the QSO to LoTW. My understanding is that DXKeeper doesn't write the QSO to the physical log file until after it has completed any online uploads .

See this response from Dave AA6YQ the DXLab author to help isolate the cause of LoTW upload failing.

Until your LoTW upload failings are resolved, turn off the LoTW upload setting in JTAlert, under the Settings window, "Logging -> DXLab DXKeeper" section. This will stop the "Unable to Confirm" popups. Once your LoTW uploads failures are resolved, do a bulk upload of un-submitted to LoTW QSOs from within DXKeeper.

FWIW, I never upload to LoTW (via DXKeeper) with each logged QSO. I simply do a bulk upload at the end-of0the-day, sometimes only once a week. I personally don't understand why some feel the need to upload each QSO in real-time, unless your QSO partner is doing the same, there will not be that instant gratification, you still need to wait for them to upload.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Robert Lorenzini

If I have an internet and upload failure I go to dxkeeper and  upload the contact again. NP
I prefer it that way, it's satisfying to put it where it won't go away.
Bob - wd6dod

On 6/25/2021 5:53 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
My understanding is that DXKeeper doesn't write the QSO to the physical log file until after it has completed any online uploads .

de Laurie VK3AMA

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

yes the QSO makes it to the DX keeper log but does not automatically upload to Lotw which is why Im running this two
programs to begin with. I have increased the delay to 20 seconds time to log the QSO, still no luck. Guess I can do them manually
but thats a PITA and defeats the reason to use DXKeeper in the first place...

If 20 seconds is insufficient time for DXKeeper to write the QSO to its log file that suggests to me that DXKeeper is hanging while
it tries to upload the QSO to LoTW. My understanding is that DXKeeper doesn't write the QSO to the physical log gile until after it
has completed any online uploads .

+ Not correct; DXKeeper first logs the QSO, and then performs the uploads.

See this response <https://hamapps.groups.io/g/Support/message/35796> from Dave AA6YQ the DXLab author to help isolate the cause of
LoTW upload failing.

+ Mark sent me the errorlog.txt file I created, which revealed that the component DXKeeper employs to upload and download files via
the internet is not properly registered with Windows. This was signified by the presence of the words "See DXKeeper Errorlog.txt" in
the title bar of DXKeeper's Main window.

+ If DXKeeper was unable to register the component because of interference from Windows' access control mechanism, the instructions
I sent Mark should overcome that problem. We'll see...

+ DXKeeper users: if the words "See DXKeeper Errorlog.txt" appear in the title bar of DXKeeper's Main window, then examine the
Configuration window's General tab to see if the "log debugging information" box has been checked; if so, uncheck it, and restart
DXKeeper. If not, then please attach the errorlog.txt file from your DXKeeper folder to an email message, and send the message to me
via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

+ No "pre-approval" from me is required.

Dave, AA6YQ

Mark Basel <mb02731@...>

The "log debugging information" box is not checked and restarted DXKeeper just to make sure. I still have the see "DXKeeper Errorlog.txt" message in the title bar.

On Jun 25, 2021, at 11:53 PM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

yes the QSO makes it to the DX keeper log but does not automatically upload to Lotw which is why Im running this two
programs to begin with. I have increased the delay to 20 seconds time to log the QSO, still no luck. Guess I can do them manually
but thats a PITA and defeats the reason to use DXKeeper in the first place...

If 20 seconds is insufficient time for DXKeeper to write the QSO to its log file that suggests to me that DXKeeper is hanging while
it tries to upload the QSO to LoTW. My understanding is that DXKeeper doesn't write the QSO to the physical log gile until after it
has completed any online uploads .

See this response <https://hamapps.groups.io/g/Support/message/35796> from Dave AA6YQ the DXLab author to help isolate the cause of
LoTW upload failing.

+ Mark sent me the errorlog.txt file I created, which revealed that the component DXKeeper employs to upload and download files via
the internet is not properly registered with Windows. This was signified by the presence of the words "See DXKeeper Errorlog.txt" in
the title bar of DXKeeper's Main window.

+ If DXKeeper was unable to register the component because of interference from Windows' access control mechanism, the instructions
I sent Mark should overcome that problem. We'll see...

+ DXKeeper users: if the words "See DXKeeper Errorlog.txt" appear in the title bar of DXKeeper's Main window, then examine the
Configuration window's General tab to see if the "log debugging information" box has been checked; if so, uncheck it, and restart
DXKeeper. If not, then please attach the errorlog.txt file from your DXKeeper folder to an email message, and send the message to me
via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

+ No "pre-approval" from me is required.

Dave, AA6YQ

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 26/06/2021 2:53 pm, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

Thanks for the clarification Dave.

Is there some pre-logging event that may account for the excessive delay in writing the QSO to the log file? Perhaps an XML lookup?

de Laurie VK3AMA

Dave AA6YQ

The "log debugging information" box is not checked and restarted DXKeeper just to make sure. I still have the see "DXKeeper Errorlog.txt" message in the title bar.

+ I sent you specific instructions in response to the email message you sent me. Did you follow those instructions?

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

# more AA6YQ comments below

Thanks for the clarification Dave.

Is there some pre-logging event that may account for the excessive delay in writing the QSO to the log file? Perhaps an XML lookup?

# When DXKeeper receives a TCP message bearing a "Log" directive, it places that directive in a first-in first-out queue. Assuming
nothing precedes that directive in the queue, it will be processed 250 ms later. An empty new QSO is created in the log database,
and populated with information from the ADIF record contained in the "Log" directive; there are no callbook or database updates;
that's the responsibility of the application that assembled the ADIF record.

# The most typical reason for slow performance is interference from an incompetent or incorrectly configured anti-malware
application, but other applications are known to interfere, as described in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ApplicationInteference

# Just last week, a DXLab user was bitten by interference from nVidia's GEFORCE EXPERIENCE application with its IN-GAME OVERLAY
option enabled

# In Mark's case, the problem with not uploading to LoTW was caused by DXKeeper being prevented from registering the Microsoft
component it uses to send and receive information via the internet (MSWINSCK.OCX). The cause of that remains to be determined.

# Database performance is sensitive to many parameters, including the amount of free RAM, the time since Windows was last rebooted,
the computational load on the system, and the system's virtual memory configuration. There are many books and online articles on
this topic.

Dave, AA6YQ