locked UDP Error

KE7AZ

JTAlert 2.50.1 crashes on startup so I went back to JTAlert 2.16.16  which had been running.  But now I get a UDP communication error with the Windows firewall turned off.  How can I fix this?

Error message.....
Unable to communicate with the WSJT-X process.
  UDP Port : 2237
  IP Address : 127.0.0.1
  Values read from WSJT-X config file...
    C:\Users\kz6os\AppData\Local\WSJT-X - FlexA\WSJT-X - FlexA.ini

WSJT-X Detected Instance...
  Process Window Title : WSJT-X - FlexA   v2.3.1   by K1JT, G4WJS, and K9AN
  Process Command Line :

Decode alerts and logging will be unavailable until corrected.

Logan, KE7AZ

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 23/05/2021 5:12 am, KE7AZ wrote:
Error message.....
Unable to communicate with the WSJT-X process.
  UDP Port : 2237
  IP Address : 127.0.0.1
  Values read from WSJT-X config file...
    C:\Users\kz6os\AppData\Local\WSJT-X - FlexA\WSJT-X - FlexA.ini

WSJT-X Detected Instance...
  Process Window Title : WSJT-X - FlexA   v2.3.1   by K1JT, G4WJS, and K9AN
  Process Command Line :

Decode alerts and logging will be unavailable until corrected.

Logan, KE7AZ
This type of error is typically caused when using a unicast setup in WSJT-X (127.0.0.1) and other applications interacting with WSJT-X taking exclusive control of port 2237.

Setup WSJT-X to use Multicast UDP, this will allow multiple applications to operate concurrently working with WSJT-X, provided they have been set to use multicast UDP. JTAlert setup for multicast is automatic except for enabling a single menu entry. Other applications require some work to use multicast, refer to the appropriate support documents for those applications.

See the JTAlert Help file, "WSJT-X UDP Setup" topic on how to setup WSJT-X correctly to use multicast UDP.

de Laurie VK3AMA

KE7AZ

I only have two applications using the UDP port - WSJT-X and JTAlert.  I also tried the multicast set up and it didn't work. 

So I went back to find previous versions to see if I could get something to work.  Here is what I found...
WSJT-X Version     JTAlert version    Result
2.1.2                            2.12.9               OK
2.3.1                            2.15.0               OK
2.3.1                            2.16.17            UDP Error
2.3.1                            2.16.1              AutoIT Crash
2.3.1                            2.16.3              OK
2.3.1                            2.16.6              OK but crashes after settings change
2.3.1                            2.16.11             UDP Error

There was a Windows 10 update just before this appeared.  I tried backing out the update out but one of the updates did not give me the option to undo it.  I did not have a system restore that I could use because of subsequent Windows 10  updates.I suspect that this problem is an unintended consequence of a Windows 10 update.  Entropy is winning!

Logan

KE7AZ

A previous version looked good for a while but didn't stand the test of time. Now, no version of JTAlert will run on my system.  Yet a month ago, everything was fine.  I added no new apps, just Win 10 updates. I've tried everything I could find including system checks with DSIM and SCANNOW.  Only thing left to do is a clean reinstall of Win 10 but I won't be doing that any time soon, too many applications to reload. What a mess!

Looks like I'll have to wait for Ver 3.x to see if JTAlert will run again.

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 29/05/2021 8:06 am, KE7AZ wrote:
A previous version looked good for a while but didn't stand the test of time. Now, no version of JTAlert will run on my system.  Yet a month ago, everything was fine.  I added no new apps, just Win 10 updates. I've tried everything I could find including system checks with DSIM and SCANNOW.  Only thing left to do is a clean reinstall of Win 10 but I won't be doing that any time soon, too many applications to reload. What a mess!

Ignoring the UDP error message, leave JTAlert running for at least 3 minutes then use the "Help" -> "Contact Support" menu, on the main JTAlert window, to send me your JTAlert files for analysis.

de Laurie VK3AMA

David Marcelli

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  I made all of the changes you suggested and still had a few issues.  Much to my surprise, I got an email from Mike, W9MDB.  Mike took the time to give me a call and tweak a few things that got me up and running again.  

That unsolicited gesture of kindness is what amateur radio is all about.  I also admire your passion for the hobby and your dedication to keeping it going strong.  Thanks again. 

Dave
N4CQ

-----Original Message-----
To: Support@HamApps.groups.io
Sent: Fri, May 28, 2021 6:21 pm
Subject: Re: [HamApps] UDP Error

Ignoring the UDP error message, leave JTAlert running for at least 3 minutes then use the "Help" -> "Contact Support" menu, on the main JTAlert window, to send me your JTAlert files for analysis.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Michael Black

One thing that apparently happened was Dave had the 32-bit .Net installation and the 64-bit JTAlert which said that the 32-bit .Net was OK.

Laurie -- you might want to check that the correct 32/64 is being checked.

Also had some bad entries in Log4OM that was swallowing the UDP data.

Mike W9MDB

On Friday, May 28, 2021, 07:29:25 PM CDT, David Marcelli via groups.io <dgmarcelli@...> wrote:

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  I made all of the changes you suggested and still had a few issues.  Much to my surprise, I got an email from Mike, W9MDB.  Mike took the time to give me a call and tweak a few things that got me up and running again.  

That unsolicited gesture of kindness is what amateur radio is all about.  I also admire your passion for the hobby and your dedication to keeping it going strong.  Thanks again. 

Dave
N4CQ

-----Original Message-----
To: Support@HamApps.groups.io
Sent: Fri, May 28, 2021 6:21 pm
Subject: Re: [HamApps] UDP Error

de Laurie VK3AMA

KE7AZ

Email sent.  Thank you for looking into this.  It has been a challenge, one day it works, next day it doesn't.
Logan

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 30/05/2021 4:48 am, KE7AZ wrote:
Email sent.  Thank you for looking into this.  It has been a challenge, one day it works, next day it doesn't.
Logan

Nothing received.

Make sure you using the Contact Support link from JTAlert 2.50.1, and leave JTAlert running for at least 3 minutes before sending the request.

de Laurie VK3AMA

KE7AZ

2.50.1 does not run.  It crashes right after the "loading data" window closes.

The email that I tried to send was for 2.16.17.  It runs with the UDP error.  However when I used the support link I got this email.

"Sorry, JTAlert support is currently only available by posting a message to the support forum at https://hamapps.groups.io/

This is an automated message, do not reply."

Logan

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 30/05/2021 12:10 pm, KE7AZ wrote:
2.50.1 does not run.  It crashes right after the "loading data" window closes.

The email that I tried to send was for 2.16.17.  It runs with the UDP error.  However when I used the support link I got this email.

"Sorry, JTAlert support is currently only available by posting a message to the support forum at https://hamapps.groups.io/

This is an automated message, do not reply."

Logan

OK.

I went onto the server and was able to recover your support request files before the daily file cleanup removed them.

I note several issues.
  1. You have WSJT-X set to run with elevated privileges (Run as administrator). There is never any need to do this and is likely one of the causes of the UDP error.

2. You have the UDP Server port set in WSJT-X to 7825. This is an unusual number, It looks like one of the HRD port numbers. Are you running HRD? If not, that port may be getting used by some other app on your PC. I suggest changing it back to the default 2237.

3. I note that none (zero) of the several files that get created by the JTAlertV2.Manager.exe process are present, indicating that this process was never run. It is automatically launched by JTAlert. It would appear that what ever is the cause of the JTAlert shutdown is occurring before it has been able to launch the Manager process.

4. Since JTAlert is closing without presenting an error window it is unlikely an internal code error is the cause of the JTAlert shutdown. Most likely your PC protection software is interfering, especially if there is a privileges mismatch between JTAlert and WSJT-X. What protection software do you use?

5.  I note JTAlert is installed under D:\Program Files (x86)\. That is not normally a problem as JTAlert is coded to work under the Windows protected "Program Files..." directory trees, but given the privileges problems, perhaps your Protection software is also disliking this install location. Try installing JTAlert in a dedicated directory out side of the protected directories.

de Laurie VK3AMA