Topics

locked Two different setup for JTAlert

Greg - Gmail

Hi
I am new to this group and wonder if there is a preferred method to set up two shortcuts to JTAlert.

Let me explain the problem.  I want to be able to select two different radios: a FTDX101D and a Genesis G59 SDR.  The G59 requires that JTAlert loads the software application via the Settings>Applications>Auto-Start function which I have been able to implement and get working.  Both of the radios need to log to the same logging program which is Log4OM. I have seen other posts that seem to achieve this using a different callsign but I need the same callsign (at least at the moment).

I have created a WSXJT-X for the FTDX101D and also the G59 and can get them working using the shortcuts .  I have also created shortcuts for both using the following targets with appropriate changes in the General Tab to identify each one:

C:\WSJT\wsjtx\bin\wsjtx.exe --rig-name=G59
C:\WSJT\wsjtx\bin\wsjtx.exe --rig-name=FTDX101D

I have also created similar changes for the shortcuts to Log4OM:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\IW3HMH\Log4OM NextGen\L4ONG.exe" --rig-name=FTDX101D
"C:\Program Files (x86)\IW3HMH\Log4OM NextGen\L4ONG.exe" --rig-name=G59

My intent in doing this was to allow either to automatically select the correct radio using Omnirig.  The FTDX101D is Omnirig 1 and the G59 is Omnirig 2.

I have also tried to set up two shortcut to JTAlert using the following

"C:\Program Files (x86)\HamApps\JTAlert\JTAlert.exe" /wsjtx --rig-name=FTDX101D
"C:\Program Files (x86)\HamApps\JTAlert\JTAlert.exe" /wsjtx --rig-name=G59

Unfortunately this does not appear to create separate .ini files to keep the two radios separate.

Is there a radio setting that can be used?

Or have I gone about this completely the wrong way.

What is the preferred method to do this?

Any advise would be appreciated

Regards

Greg
VK4GRM

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 16/01/2021 9:39 pm, Greg - Gmail wrote:
[...]

Greg,

Unfortunately, JTAlert does not support multiple configs per Callsign. The Config used is explicitly linked to the Callsign and the auto-start entries are stored in the Callsign specific config.

All is not lost. Rather than having JTAlert start the G59, create a batch file that first starts the G59 and then start JTAlert and execute that batch file from a shortcut. When you don't want the G59, simply execute a normal JTAlert shortcut. The only downside is that the G59 will not automatically close when the copy of JTAlert started by the batch file is closed.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Greg - Gmail

Thanks Laurie
You flagged the key issues that I did not know which was the fact that JTAlert does not support multiple configs per Callsign.  (Or did you mean radio here?).

That said I created the following shortcut which seems to work OK:
@ECHO OFF
Start "" "C:\GSDR\Genesis.exe"
TIMEOUT /t 20
Start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\HamApps\JTAlert\JTAlert.exe" /wsjtx
TIMEOUT /t 40
Start "" "C:\WSJT\wsjtx\bin\wsjtx.exe" --rig-name=FTDX101D
TIMEOUT /t 40
Start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\HamApps\JTAlert\JTAlert.exe" /wsjtx

ECHO Congratulation! Your first batch file executed successfully.
PAUSE
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I had to play around with the timing delays to make sure that each program loads correctly but I can get both up on my screens.

I will try FT8 and see how I go on both radios.

Thanks for your help

73  Greg  VK4GRM

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 17/01/2021 4:14 pm, Greg - Gmail wrote:
Thanks Laurie
You flagged the key issues that I did not know which was the fact that JTAlert does not support multiple configs per Callsign.  (Or did you mean radio here?).

I meant multiple configs. JTAlert has no concept of Rigs or Rig control, that is the job of WSJT-X. JTAlert is simply monitoring the UDP traffic from WSJT-X, it doesn't need to know what rig was involved in the generation of that data.

Regarding your batch file, if you only intend to have one rig (and its associated WSJT-X instance) active at any time, you could extend the batch file to prompt you for which Rig you want to run and branch to executing the relevant programs, then at the end start JTAlert.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Greg - Gmail

Thanks for your help Laurie

The batch file seems to be working fine and I can change radios by using the Omnirig selector in LOG4OM or simply clicking on the relevant WSJTX application.
The added benefit of the two radios connected to two antennas is that I can compare performance of each antenna on FT8 (or WSPR - haven't tried this one yet).

I was quite interesting this morning having a look at the antenna performance on 20m.  Some signals were about the same, some significantly different and some where no signal recorded at all.  Also SNR values for all.

Do you know if it is possible to get a dump of all of the signals received by WSJT-X to allow post processing?  The answer may be to simply use WSPR where I can down load the logs?

Thanks again

73
Greg VK4GRM