Topics

locked The DXCC of A6050Y and A6050Y/#

Björn SM7IUN

are wrongly identified by JTAlert.

Björn SM7IUN

Paul

RE: The DXCC of A6050Y
Yes correct. WSJT-X Band activity window correctly showing UAE but JTAlert showing Bhutan .DXCC.
I have emailed his QSL manager EA7FTR this afternoon.....
He was calling CQ on 30M FT8 for well over thirty minutes and seemed to work nothing with many callers.
 Paul G4YKQ.

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 17/10/2020 3:24 am, Björn SM7IUN wrote:
are wrongly identified by JTAlert.

Björn SM7IUN

What is wrong with the A6050Y identification?

JTAlert correctly identifies A6050Y as being in the United Arab Emirates.

Double-checking against an independent source (DXLab DXView) that uses a database different from JTAlert I get the same results.

If your getting something different than check your log for an old QSO with that station that has different location data recorded.

On 17/10/2020 5:43 am, Paul via groups.io wrote:
Yes correct. WSJT-X Band activity window correctly showing UAE but JTAlert showing Bhutan .DXCC.
I have emailed his QSL manager EA7FTR this afternoon.....
He was calling CQ on 30M FT8 for well over thirty minutes and seemed to work nothing with many callers.
 Paul G4YKQ
If your getting Bhutan, check your log for an old QSO with that Entity for this Callsign as that is likely the source of the incorrect data.
If that is the case you need to log your new QSO with the correct Entity data set in the JTAlert Log Fields area which will cause futures decodes to show UAE.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Dave Garber

my JTA showed UAE

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 2:43 PM Paul via groups.io <g4ykq=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
RE: The DXCC of A6050Y
Yes correct. WSJT-X Band activity window correctly showing UAE but JTAlert showing Bhutan .DXCC.
I have emailed his QSL manager EA7FTR this afternoon.....
He was calling CQ on 30M FT8 for well over thirty minutes and seemed to work nothing with many callers.
 Paul G4YKQ.

Paul

Thanks for the reply Laurie,
I checked all my A6...UAE contacts in my log and all was well as was all my Bhutan entries.No problems.
No previous A60 calls logged.....A61...A65 all OK.
Yes re Dxview It shows UAE
I have just checked my WSJT-X Test files and noticed he was calling...CQ A6050Y/5
I did not work A6050Y/5.
I agree everything points to UAE but it showed up DXCC needed In JTAlert
My log is showing many A61..A65 contacts confirmed LOTW and EQSL.
All mysterious .
Kind Regards Paul G4YKQ .

Paul

I should have mentioned he called CQ without a grid just......CQ A6050Y/5.
Paul G4YKQ.

Dave Garber

if he signed as /5, does that mean the same as A5, then he may be portable in Bhutan....   is he on qrz?? with the /5 call

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 4:44 PM Paul via groups.io <g4ykq=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
I should have mentioned he called CQ without a grid just......CQ A6050Y/5.
Paul G4YKQ.

Dave Garber

  A6050Y   -- Op. EARS Station; QSL via EA7FTR
      A6050Y/1 -- Op. Obaid/A61M; QSL via A61BK
      A6050Y/2 -- Op. Abdullah/A61Q; QSL via EA7FTR
      A6050Y/3 -- Op. Fahed/A61FK; QSL via A61BK
      A6050Y/4 -- Op. Khalid/A61BK; QSL via A61BK
      A6050Y/5 -- Op. Ali/A61DD; QSL via A61BK
      A6050Y/6 -- Op. Obaid/A61QQ; QSL via A61BK
      A6050Y/7 -- Op. Ali/A61AY; QSL via direct
      A6050Y/8 -- Op. Ismail/A61DL; QSL via A61BK
      A6050Y/9 -- Op. Juan/A65GC; QSL via direct

all show as UAE, on ohio dx bulletin for a 50th year thingy, but not sure why the /#    must be a zone of some sort.

so maybe JTA is taking the /5 as A5???

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On 17/10/2020 9:16 am, Dave Garber wrote:
  A6050Y   -- Op. EARS Station; QSL via EA7FTR
      A6050Y/1 -- Op. Obaid/A61M; QSL via A61BK
      A6050Y/2 -- Op. Abdullah/A61Q; QSL via EA7FTR
      A6050Y/3 -- Op. Fahed/A61FK; QSL via A61BK
      A6050Y/4 -- Op. Khalid/A61BK; QSL via A61BK
      A6050Y/5 -- Op. Ali/A61DD; QSL via A61BK
      A6050Y/6 -- Op. Obaid/A61QQ; QSL via A61BK
      A6050Y/7 -- Op. Ali/A61AY; QSL via direct
      A6050Y/8 -- Op. Ismail/A61DL; QSL via A61BK
      A6050Y/9 -- Op. Juan/A65GC; QSL via direct

all show as UAE, on ohio dx bulletin for a 50th year thingy, but not sure why the /#    must be a zone of some sort.

so maybe JTA is taking the /5 as A5???

Dave Garber

Tnx Dave,

Yes JTAlert is interpreting the A6 signing /5 as meaning A5, bhutan.
There will be similar results for all these other nonsensical /1,/2,/3/ ... /9 etc signings of A6050Y. What is their purpose/significance?

Honestly, I am becoming tired of all the arbitrary prefixes being assigned to callsigns, seemingly at the whim of operators. There is the large group of FST4 operators signing /30. /60,/ 120. /300, etc. There are now 4X stations signing /64, /69 & /71. What do they mean? Luckily they wont trigger unwanted dxcc re-assignment.

JTAlert dropped any attempts of meaningful dxcc identification of Callsigns based on the structure and naming of a callsign long ago due to the now very common use or special event callsigns (and not so special events) with lengths of up to 12 characters. Sometimes I wonder if the ops were doing this as some sort of "one-ups·man·ship" rather than being a true special event (except in their own minds). These same ops would then complain that they can't use FT8 properly because of their "Stupid" (my words) callsign.

As part of the dumbing-down of the callsign validation/dxcc-determination in JTAlert I will extend that to ignoring any /numeric signing of callsigns in the next JTAlert release.

Sorry (not really) for the rant.

On 17/10/2020 7:44 am, Paul via groups.io wrote:
I should have mentioned he called CQ without a grid just......CQ A6050Y/5.
Paul G4YKQ.

Its not the lack of a Grid that is the problem. It is the signing /5 being interpreted as the A6 is operating portable from A5 (Bhutan).
See my message here ... https://hamapps.groups.io/g/Support/message/31902

de Laurie VK3AMA

Dave Garber

same issue happens here when ve3 uses portable 8, when then go to michigan, instead of /w8.   the /8 says we are in NWT, not mich....

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 7:13 PM HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:
On 17/10/2020 7:44 am, Paul via groups.io wrote:
I should have mentioned he called CQ without a grid just......CQ A6050Y/5.
Paul G4YKQ.

Its not the lack of a Grid that is the problem. It is the signing /5 being interpreted as the A6 is operating portable from A5 (Bhutan).
See my message here ... https://hamapps.groups.io/g/Support/message/31902

de Laurie VK3AMA

Paul

Thanks Laurie,
                         All understood.Yes a pain! I thought that the transmitting no grid would not make a difference,I thought I should mention it and it was a good probability that it was /5  A5 Bhutan.
 Thanks again for all you had work and as I have said before you are a "Star".
Also thanks for your Hamspot early morning spotting which is very helpful.
Kind Regards and Cheers Paul G4YKQ......

Björn SM7IUN

If JTAlert considers an A6xxx/5 station Bhutan that is still wrong. It should consider it an A65xxx station.

It's like considering SM7IUN/2 an S2 station.

But I fully understand your frustration with the widespread lack of respect for callsign conventions.

Björn SM7IUN