Topics

The "Decodes Window" will not clear...

Bob Stothfang

I have been using the Decodes Window for about two months.
I have used "File>Settings" to customize the display and eliminated unwanted columns of info.
The number of records is still set to the default 100.
The "Startup Options" are set to "Delete Old Records"
The Row Colors & Height are set to "Time period" and alternating between gray and white.
I then saved these settings and it comes up with these settings when I open the Decodes Window.
When I first installed it all worked OK.

After using for the "Decodes Window" for several weeks I am now encountering an issue,,.
Now when the window opens the previous sessions decodes are still displayed and I am also unable to to use the "View">"Clear Display" selection to remove the old information. It worked properly when it was first installed.
I have tried reloading a fresh install of both JTAlert and WSJT-X and the problem still persists.
Restoring the Decodes Window back to the default settings does not fix the problem either.

To summarize---The Decodes Window displays the current received data properly,
I just cannot clear the data in the window either automatically on initial startup or with the "Clear Display" selection.

Any ideas would be appreciated?

Windows10
WSJT-X Version 2.1.2
JTAlert Version 2.16.5
Decodes Window 2.16.5

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 22/05/2020 6:37 am:
[...]

OM,

Try deleting the decodes database. The easiest way to do that is to use the Decodes Settings, under the "Startup Options" enable the "Delete All Records" setting then close and reopen the Decodes window. It should now start up with a clean slate. Now go back into the Settings and re-select your previous  startup option.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Don Roden

Bob,

Deleting WSJTX doesn't delete settings.
WSJTX doesn't keep it's settings in it's own directory.
Why ??? Good Question.

Re-install, and you really haven't changed much.

Don W4DNR

Quoting Bob Stothfang <bobstothfang@...>:

[...]

Thanks Laurie

That did the trick. I think I will just keep it on the Startup Options>"Delete All Records" for now.

If they are not set to delete at startup does the file just get too big reach a size where the View>"Clear Display" eventually won't work again?

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 22/05/2020 9:00 am, Bob Stothfang wrote:
If they are not set to delete at startup does the file just get too big reach a size where the View>"Clear Display" eventually won't work again?

Yes, the database will continue to grow if there is no automated deletion setting selected.

An overly large database will (should) not produce any noticeable performance degradation. The type of disk where the database file is stored will have a minimal impact on performance.

The inability to clear the old entries is not related to the database size. There is something unusual happening that I have been unable to isolate.

FWIW, my latest Decodes stress testing had the database reach 4 million entries with no noticeable delays in populating the display or loss of decodes. This was with 10 simulated JTAlert instances sending 50 FT8 decodes per period to the Decodes Window. That was 500 decodes every 15 seconds.

de Laurie VK3AMA