Topics

Text Message stops working

K9MK

Greetings to the group,

   I have been using JTAlert for several years now.  I do enjoy the text messaging option.

    For the occasional SMS from another station “online” it really is sweet.

    What I have observed is that if I choose to chat with a friend using this window after a seemingly random and limited number of messages, the screen will first open and then close as you start typing the message.  After several attempts the F5 key does nothing.  About 10% of the time instead of the open and closes behavior it simply does not open.

    I close and restart JTALERT and it works again, for a while, but if I have a series of exchanges with the same station it is only a matter of time before it locks out the input screen and/or simply will not open the input screen.  I can continue to receive after the text message window starts acting up.

    I lightly scanned the group emails but did not see this pop up.

    Is there a setting that addresses my anomalous observations?  Other??

Thanks in advance for assistance.

73  Mike   K9MK

System: W10 64bit Home, i7 PC, DXlab suite, SmartSDR 3.x and FRStack, and WSJT-X 222

Dwight Bosselman

On 1/10/2021 10:16 AM, K9MK wrote:

Greetings to the group,

   I have been using JTAlert for several years now.  I do enjoy the text messaging option.

    For the occasional SMS from another station “online” it really is sweet.

I agree and I wish the default was that is would be turned on. Too many don't or can't read the docs and they don't know it exists!

    What I have observed is that if I choose to chat with a friend using this window after a seemingly random and limited number of messages, the screen will first open and then close as you start typing the message.  After several attempts the F5 key does nothing.  About 10% of the time instead of the open and closes behavior it simply does not open.

For a long time, years, I have found that problem.

I wish there was an easily accessable button to push to open that window and not the F5 Button that eventually fails, and other then clicking view, then the F5 link, which always works!!!

Good Luck 73 Dwight NS9I

    I close and restart JTALERT and it works again, for a while, but if I have a series of exchanges with the same station it is only a matter of time before it locks out the input screen and/or simply will not open the input screen.  I can continue to receive after the text message window starts acting up.

    I lightly scanned the group emails but did not see this pop up.

    Is there a setting that addresses my anomalous observations?  Other??

Thanks in advance for assistance.

73  Mike   K9MK

System: W10 64bit Home, i7 PC, DXlab suite, SmartSDR 3.x and FRStack, and WSJT-X 222

Marv Olnes

Dwight, I experience the exact same thing.  I simply get out of JTAlert and then bring it back up.  Doesn’t take long to fix but it is a bit of a nuisance.

Marv

Marvin Olnes Jr

ARS N0MHL

[...]

WB8ASI Herb

If I get into a "conversation" rather than just a simple hello, I find it useful to just open the Text Message Window and keep it open, via Settings>Window>Text Message.  I've never ran into the problem you are seeing.   Perhaps keeping the window open will prevent the F5 problem?  73 Herb, WB8ASI

Keith Carter, KF4BI

F5 has never worked on any of my installations. Been using JTAlert for years.

K9MK

I see keeping the text message window from Windows as a work around, not unlike rebooting the APP.
I'm wondering is this on the bug list?

Mike K9MK

Mike KA2JAI

Is it possible you have a window active for something else when you press F5? JTAlert has to be the active window for F5 to work. I had the same problem until I realized I was making a windows mistake.

For example,  I would select a call sign in JTA, then go to WSJT-X to adjust power. At that point WSJT-X's window becomes active and JTA's F5 won't work without reactivating the window.

I'm assuming you are using a PC with Windows.

Once I click on the JTA window, if it's not already active, I find it's easier just to continue with a few more mouse clicks than to use F5.

I like the text feature.  I'm enjoying exchanging brief messages after making a contact.

W6SA

I have had the reported issue with the text window for a long time and the best solution appears to be, as suggested above, to disable the option for the text message window to close automatically.  This allows you to carry on an extended conversation without F5 failing in the middle of it requiring you to exit and restart JTAlert.  Sure seems like a bug.  I really don't care to block other items on my screen by keeping the window open.

Walt, W6SA

K9MK

All good tips Mike, but no, the F5 is while I'm in the JTAlert window.
You can see it flash open and then simply closes.
At that point only a reboot of the APP restores the text messaging "entry window".

73  Mike K9MK

K9MK

Walt,

   Thanks for clarifying, I missed the option to keep it open, I will check that.  But like many both 27" monitors are full of windows.  I really liked the pop it open when you need it operations.

73's  Mike K9MK