locked Suggestion for Sound - add filter for minimum RX dB theshold

Scott Straw

Laurie,

I love your program and use the sound app to call me to the radio from elsewhere in the house when a DX I need is announced.  I have learned that my receiver works better than my transmitter in that I can often decode stations at -20 to -24, but realistically my odds of working those stations are are slim and none (and slim is on his horse headed out of town).
I'm wondering if you might consider adding a filter so that the audio alerts only trigger when the received dB level is above a preset threshold.  I have no concept of the programming complexity involved with my idea, but I am putting it in the suggestion box all the same.

Thanks for a great product!

73,

Scott

Scott Straw, KB4KBS
Roswell, Georgia USA
(EM74tb)

Glenn Jensen

Hey Scott,

Not a bad idea - the simple solution would be to allow the list of stations to be sorted by signal strength (I use another tool that allows me to do that).

You could stack-rank very easily, and also observe any relative changes in the band as it happens (assuming you play close attention to the stack and changing signal levels).

73's,

Glenn

On Sat, Oct 2, 2021 at 8:02 AM Scott Straw <kb4kbs@...> wrote:

[...]

Larry Banks

Hi Scott,

Remember that this number is the signal-to-noise ratio at the receiving station and is only indirectly related to the actual receive level.  Your QSO partner may have a very low noise level and can hear really weak signals.

Have you played with reducing your RF gain to see if this gives you the same effect?  (I have not tried this, so it may have no effect.)

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Saturday, October 02, 2021 11:02
Subject: [HamApps] Suggestion for Sound - add filter for minimum RX dB theshold

[...]

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#37301) | Reply To Group | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [larrybw1dyj@...]

__,_._,_

Larry Banks

Hi Scott,

Sorry – I had this backward.  YOU may have a very low noise level and can hear really weak signals, and they may not have a low noise level and cannot hear you.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Saturday, October 02, 2021 11:02

[...]

Ron W3RJW

Edited

Scott,

Won't this do about what you want ?

Edit:  Seems like it would work but could not see any results.  Perhaps I don't understand how it's suppose to work.
Edit 2:  You have to select 'SNR Strong decodes' or 'SNR Weak Decodes' (I was using "all decodes") in the 'Panels'.  The "threshold" you select picks the dividing point.
Ron, W3RJW

FTdx-5000, Timewave Navigator, WSJT-x 2.5.0, JTAlert 2.50.6, HRD Deluxe v6.7.0.357
FTdx-3000, SignaLink USB

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 3/10/2021 1:02 am, Scott Straw wrote:
I love your program and use the sound app to call me to the radio from elsewhere in the house when a DX I need is announced.  I have learned that my receiver works better than my transmitter in that I can often decode stations at -20 to -24, but realistically my odds of working those stations are are slim and none (and slim is on his horse headed out of town).
I'm wondering if you might consider adding a filter so that the audio alerts only trigger when the received dB level is above a preset threshold.  I have no concept of the programming complexity involved with my idea, but I am putting it in the suggestion box all the same.

Thanks for a great product!

73,

Scott

Scott,

A good idea, but not a trivial implementation. The easiest solution would be to add a global SNR Sound setting that applied to all Alerting. This however would not be suitable for most users, myself included. I could see having sounds disabled for decodes below a SNR value, but only for trivial Alerts like prefixes, grids, Zones etc. But for high-value Alerts, like the DXCC Alert, I would hate to have no sound notification when a new one was decoded and missing out on trying to get them in the log.

A more practical implementation of a SNR Sound setting, that allowed for the differing needs of users, would be to have this available on a per-Alert type basis. That is each Alert type would have their own independent SNR Sound setting. This would be the implementation type I would go with, but is starting to become a lot of work when you factor in all the Setting GUI changes that will need to be implemented on top of the actual alerting code logic, all of which would need to be done within the old AutoIT code base, which I am trying to avoid making significant changes to as I migrate over to the new NET 5 based code.

My preference would be to code this feature into the new NET 5 code-base from day one as the old code-base is migrated, rather than tacking it onto the old code as a means of getting it implemented sooner.

While I can see the merit in this feature, it is now on my todo list, it may not be implemented any time soon.

On 3/10/2021 1:10 am, Glenn Jensen wrote:
the simple solution would be to allow the list of stations to be sorted by signal strength

SNR ordered display of decodes is already available with the two SNR, weak and strong, views of the Callsigns window. The sorting of the decodes can also be set to ascending or descending depending on user preference.

de Laurie VK3AMA