locked Started new JTAlert on new PC

Glen Jenkins WB4KTF

I have a new PC and installed JTAlert.  I also use HRD LogBook but moved my whole logbook of 9000+ contacts to the new PC.
I then performed a 'REBUILD Alert Database'.  Does JTAlert now have my HRD logbook QSOs in its data files and knows all of my QSOs for grids, call, DXCC, etc?
--
Glen, WB4KTF, Austin, TX

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 21/03/2021 2:24 am, Glen Jenkins WB4KTF wrote:
have a new PC and installed JTAlert.  I also use HRD LogBook but moved my whole logbook of 9000+ contacts to the new PC.
I then performed a 'REBUILD Alert Database'.  Does JTAlert now have my HRD logbook QSOs in its data files and knows all of my QSOs for grids, call, DXCC, etc?
--
Glen, WB4KTF, Austin, TX

No, JTAlert does not have you HRD log QSOs in its data files.

The Alert database is used for the purposes of fast lookup and alerting, something that is impractical if the log file had to be accessed for every decode to determine what alerts are triggered. The Alert Database Rebuild scans your log and represents a snapshot of you log, with respect to the Alerts, at that point in time, it does not record Callsigns or Dates & Times. You cannot use the Alert Satabase to rebuild a lost HRD log file, if that is what your asking.

With respect to the rebuild, you only need to run that after your HRD log has been updated with new QSOs from external sources (ie not from JTAlert) and when you have had new QSLs received (eg eqsl, lotw & card). Most users tend to run the rebuild after they have updated their primary log after a sync with Lotw or Eqsl. In my case, I typically run the rebuild once a week.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Glen Jenkins WB4KTF

Hello Laurie
Thank you for the answer.  I am not sure that you my questions were understood.  I'll restate it.
I have Installed XSJT-X, JTAlert and HRD (and HRD Logbook) onto my new PC.  I do have my 9000+ QSOs in HRD on my new PC (I copied the data file and restored it onto my new PC).   I have JTAlert using/logging my WSJT-X QSOs to my HRD Logbook.  I did a "Rebuild Alert Database" on JTAlert.  My HRD Logbook does have Conformed QSOs of LoTW and QSLs recorded in it
Question #1: Does JTAlert now know which Countries, grids, states, etc that I have confirmed?
Question #2: Do I need to move and use the OLD PC's WSJT-X log to my new PC?
Glen, WB4KTF, Austin, TX

neil_zampella

#1:  If you did the rebuild, JT-Alert has all the updated from your logger (as long as JT-Alert is using the local HRD log program)

..and while not a JT-Alert question:

#2:  If you want WSJT-X to display the colors for the various alerts setup on its COLOR's tab, yes you do.   JT-Alert doesn't care.

Neil, KN3ILZ

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 22/03/2021 12:39 am, Glen Jenkins WB4KTF wrote:
Thank you for the answer.  I am not sure that you my questions were understood. I'll restate it.
I have Installed XSJT-X, JTAlert and HRD (and HRD Logbook) onto my new PC.  I do have my 9000+ QSOs in HRD on my new PC (I copied the data file and restored it onto my new PC).   I have JTAlert using/logging my WSJT-X QSOs to my HRD Logbook.  I did a "Rebuild Alert Database" on JTAlert.  My HRD Logbook does have Conformed QSOs of LoTW and QSLs recorded in it
Question #1: Does JTAlert now know which Countries, grids, states, etc that I have confirmed?
Question #2: Do I need to move and use the OLD PC's WSJT-X log to my new PC?
Glen, WB4KTF, Austin, TX
#1, Yes. After a JTAlert Alert database rebuild, JTAlert knows all there is to know about what alert-able entities (countries, states, zones, etc) you have. The rebuild needs to be rerun when your master log gets updated with QSL confirmations (eg. after an LoTW sync).

#2. No. You don't need to move your old wsjt-x log. JTAlert doesn't care about it and never looks at it. It could be empty and it would not affect JTAlert. JTAlert does all its log access against your HRD log.

de Laurie VK3AMA