locked Spotting on Wrong Band

RIchard Thorne

I may have missed a thread on this.

I'm working guys on 80m FT8. I've been spotted on 40m and 160m, as well as the correct band of 80m.

I'm on 3.573 and have been spotted on 1.840, 3.573 and 7.074.

Any idea why other stations would be spotting me on the wrong band?

Rich - N5ZC

Robie - AJ4F

Rich,

This happens to me routinely. There was a post about the cause some weeks ago. I’m sure someone will revive it.

Robie AJ4F

On Dec 7, 2021, at 17:55, RIchard Thorne <rthorne@rthorne.net> wrote:

I may have missed a thread on this.

I'm working guys on 80m FT8. I've been spotted on 40m and 160m, as well as the correct band of 80m.

I'm on 3.573 and have been spotted on 1.840, 3.573 and 7.074.

Any idea why other stations would be spotting me on the wrong band?

Rich - N5ZC

Bill Barrett

Ron & Robie-

Some ops are not using CAT control so the WSJT-X could be on a different band than the radio band.
I see this a lot on 6M.
There are software traps in Hamspots to catch this and stop receiving posts from those stations.

Not sure if PSKReporter has this feature.

Hope this helps.

Bill W2PKY

On Tue, Dec 7, 2021 at 7:08 PM Robie - AJ4F <ruler55@...> wrote:
Rich,

This happens to me routinely.  There was a post about the cause some weeks ago. I’m sure someone will revive it.

Robie AJ4F

> On Dec 7, 2021, at 17:55, RIchard Thorne <rthorne@...> wrote:
>
> I may have missed a thread on this.
>
> I'm working guys on 80m FT8.  I've been spotted on 40m and 160m, as well as the correct band of 80m.
>
> I'm on 3.573 and have been spotted on 1.840, 3.573 and 7.074.
>
> Any idea why other stations would be spotting me on the wrong band?
>
> Rich - N5ZC

Robie - AJ4F

Bill,

Thanks for the feedback!

Robie AJ4F

On Tue, Dec 7, 2021 at 6:33 PM Bill Barrett <billbarrett174@...> wrote:
Ron & Robie-

Some ops are not using CAT control so the WSJT-X could be on a different band than the radio band.
I see this a lot on 6M.
There are software traps in Hamspots to catch this and stop receiving posts from those stations.

Not sure if PSKReporter has this feature.

Hope this helps.

Bill W2PKY

On Tue, Dec 7, 2021 at 7:08 PM Robie - AJ4F <ruler55@...> wrote:
Rich,

This happens to me routinely.  There was a post about the cause some weeks ago. I’m sure someone will revive it.

Robie AJ4F

> On Dec 7, 2021, at 17:55, RIchard Thorne <rthorne@...> wrote:
>
> I may have missed a thread on this.
>
> I'm working guys on 80m FT8.  I've been spotted on 40m and 160m, as well as the correct band of 80m.
>
> I'm on 3.573 and have been spotted on 1.840, 3.573 and 7.074.
>
> Any idea why other stations would be spotting me on the wrong band?
>
> Rich - N5ZC

RIchard Thorne

Thanks Bill,

Makes perfect sense.

Rich - N5ZC

<mailto:rthorne@rthorne.net>> wrote:

> I may have missed a thread on this.
>
> I'm working guys on 80m FT8.  I've been spotted on 40m and 160m,
as well as the correct band of 80m.

> I'm on 3.573 and have been spotted on 1.840, 3.573 and 7.074.
>
> Any idea why other stations would be spotting me on the wrong band?
>
> Rich - N5ZC

Don Birzer

It can happen when the receiving station switches bands some time during the decode, too.  I've made a habit of hitting stop and waiting a bit before changing bands to hopefully prevent this from happening.

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 9/12/2021 9:22 am, Don Birzer via groups.io wrote:
It can happen when the receiving station switches bands some time during the decode, too.  I've made a habit of hitting stop and waiting a bit before changing bands to hopefully prevent this from happening.

This is a problem with the PSKReporter spotting in WSJTX. WSJTX will send the spots when the Band has been changed making no attempt at validating the Band to determine if the decodes are from the previous Band or the new Band, it will send them as the new Band regardless. This has been discussed a number of times over the years but never got corrected by the WSJTX team. JTAlert on the other hand simply discards any spotted decodes (for HamSpots) when there has been a Band change. Since WSJTX does not include Band information in the decodes there is no reliable way to know the originating Band, so JTAlert simply ignores all decodes for a full Mode period.

de Laurie VK3AMA