locked Some New Feature Ideas/Requests

Marlo Montanaro - KA2IRQ

I've been using JTAlert for 2 years or so now, almost daily and I thought I'd make a couple of suggestions for new features.

- Decodes Window- settings... currently, highlight signal dB level allows you to set a threshold and below that threshold it will highlight the signal strength.  It would be nice if there was an option to highlight the signal strength above that threshold instead.  In crowded band conditions, I'm not looking for the weak signal, I'm looking for the strong signal.  Also, with my compromised antenna system in the condo, the vast majority of times my QSO partner is stronger than I am.  As a result, I usually wait until signals are -10dB or stronger before I work a station as it is an exercise in futility to do otherwise (most of the time, not always).

- As long as we're talking about signal strength thresholds, it would be nice to have the option to only have an audible alert above the threshold as well.  When a station is -24dB, yes, nice to get an alert to know he's there, but some stations never rise enough in strength to work them- would be cool if the alerts started going off at my chosen threshold, not before.

- Again in the decodes window- would be nice if the time period color scrolled with the time period.  So time period 1 was always color 1, time period 2 was always color 2.  Again, a simple check box to toggle the behavior for those who like the current scheme.

- Band Heat window- again, I'm "threshold happy" but it would be cool to be able to set the thresholds rather than have them fixed.  A simple check box to return them to default status could also be included.

Just some thoughts... do with them as you will!

Thanks for a great program- love JTAlert as it has really brought FT8 alive.

73,
Marlo
KA2IRQ

Jim Cooper

me too !!

On 10 May 2021 at 16:41, Marlo Montanaro - KA2IRQ
wrote:

- Decodes Window- settings...
currently, highlight signal dB level
allows you to set a threshold and
below that threshold it will
highlight the signal strength.  It
would be nice if there was an option
to highlight the signal strength
above that threshold instead.  In
crowded band conditions, I'm not
looking for the weak signal, I'm
looking for the strong signal.
Also, with my compromised antenna
system in the condo, the vast
majority of times my QSO partner is
stronger than I am.  As a result, I
usually wait until signals are -10dB
or stronger before I work a station
as it is an exercise in futility to
do otherwise (most of the time, not
always).

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 11/05/2021 9:41 am, Marlo Montanaro - KA2IRQ wrote:

- Decodes Window- settings... currently, highlight signal dB level allows you to set a threshold and below that threshold it will highlight the signal strength.  It would be nice if there was an option to highlight the signal strength above that threshold instead.  In crowded band conditions, I'm not looking for the weak signal, I'm looking for the strong signal.  Also, with my compromised antenna system in the condo, the vast majority of times my QSO partner is stronger than I am.  As a result, I usually wait until signals are -10dB or stronger before I work a station as it is an exercise in futility to do otherwise (most of the time, not always).

Highlighting high db decodes is already available. Unfortunately it didn't get documented in  the help file when I made the change. After a bit of searching, I found the relevant entry in the Release notes.
2.14.3 (21-AUG-2019)

  Changes:
    - Decodes History DB highlighting is now dual purpose, highlighting either weak
       signals or strong signals. Setting the threshold below 0dB will perform weak
       signal highlighting or setting the threshold above 0dB will perform strong
       signal highlighting.

Set the threshold to say +5dB and all decodes above that threshold will be highlighted.

FYI, the current Decodes window is being re-coded (but not high-priority) using the new GUI creation tools and .NET 5 Runtime, as seen in the new 2.50.0 features. The current implementation is unlikely to receive any enhancements or bug fixes (unless very minor and easily corrected).

de Laurie VK3AMA

Marlo Montanaro - KA2IRQ

Cool... but what if you want to highlight above -10dB?  ("Strong" is relative!)

Marlo
KA2IRQ