locked Solution: 2.50.5 and net 5.0 incompatibility - no about box, no audio test, random things don't function

jrpascucci@...

Hi,

I sympathize with the person in another thread who said, simply, 'nothing works' - I was also having troubles for a couple of days and had never seen it approaching working until I (a software engineer with 30+ years background) dug down a bit deeply and found the problem.

Symptoms: Title bar says ???m where it should read the band, no Help->About box spawns, literally no audio of any kind plays, many of the windows didn't function (a few did, which made it impossible to understand from someone who has never seen it working), but certainly no interactions with wsjt-x worked in any way.

Description: After following the instructions, I already had the latest released .net, tried wsjt-x version 2.2.2, 2.4.0 and 2.5.0 (which is what I'm running now), set the multicast according to the help instructions.
    NB: the .net check tool at the end of install had never run correctly, but kept pointing me to an indistinct location, where I had followed the instructions and was told I already have the .net, but indeed I had the wrong thing (the console version in x86, I believe).

What needed to happen was that it requires the .NET 5.0 Desktop runtime.
       This is located here.

Root cause: When I ran jtalertv2.manager.exe by hand, I got the following error (which was not reported in any other way)
A fatal error occurred. The required library hostfxr.dll could not be found. If this is a self-contained application, that library should exist in [C:\Program Files (x86)\HamApps\JTAlert\pluginsX\win-x64\].If this is a framework-dependent application, install the runtime in the global location [C:\Program Files\dotnet] or use the DOTNET_ROOT environment variable to specify the runtime location or register the runtime location in [HKLM\SOFTWARE\dotnet\Setup\InstalledVersions\x64\InstallLocation]."
Hostfxr.dll existed in: C:\Program Files (x86)\dotnet\host\fxr\5.0.9, which is the wrong thing, it needs to exist C:\Program Files\dotnet\host\fxr\5.0.9

Recommended User Experience fix: some method of the UI detecting that jtalertv2.manager.exe is not running when started and indicating that the problem lies there might help normal people diagnose what's going on.

Anyway, I look forward to using your software.

Thanks, and
73,

JRP
KC1MNC

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 25/08/2021 9:17 am, jrpascucci via groups.io wrote:
[...]

The several windows not opening and sound test failing is an indication that the JTAlertV2.Manager.exe process, which handles all those, is not running. The cause in 99.99% of cases is an incorrect NET 5 install, specifically not installing the correct "Desktop" Runtime.

The framework check constantly reporting the Desktop Runtime not being installed was behaving correctly, it was doing its job.

This pinned FAQ message https://hamapps.groups.io/g/Support/message/35794 has instructions for installing the correct runtime along with the latest MS down load links.

Sorry, not much more I can do if the non-desktop version of the runtime is incorrectly installed despite the numerous postings to this group and having the framework check report a missing runtime.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Dan Bathker

I too am unable get any issue of JTAlert to work with any version of WSJT-X including latest ver. 2.50.1.

Net Framework is installed on Win10 12 GB machine here and after still another fresh reinstall of both WSJT-X and JTAlert the confirmation popup
continues to indicate it remains "aboard and well".

I have read, reread and reread again everything I can get my eyes on including the Incredible amount traffic generated by this group addressing endless problems.

I have also tried to understand directions given on this group as written by Laurie such as the need to "populate" a log.
But there is no such direction dealing with "populate" a log in any user instructions I can find for JTAlert, only mention of "populate" I have seen was on this group by Laurie.

I am close to throwing in the towel.
6 months effort struggling with fussy software still not operating is too much to ask of anyone, even an 83 year old ham licensed for 68 years.

And yes I well realize Laurie is considered by many as a hero.
Unfortunately with my continued negative results with JTAlert Laurie is not yet my hero.

My considered suggestion:
Give Up adding even more 'bells and whistles' to such Already Complicated software and produce a stripped-down "lite" version that hams can actually get running.

respectfully
K6BLG
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[...]

PO Box 23
La Canada CA 91012

d.bathker@...

On 25/08/2021 11:03 am, Dan Bathker wrote:

Net Framework is installed on Win10

If that statement is accurate, than that is the problem. You need to install the correct .NET 5.0.x Desktop Runtime. <- note there is no "Framework" in that title.

You don't say exactly what doesn't work, except that JTAlert doesn't work with any WSJT-X version.

If you haven't been able to get JTAlert to work after 6 months of trying (that seems like an exaggeration to me), I suggest your next course of action is to find an Elmer who can assist in resolving your broken installation.

Hi Dan,
Will you be around tomorrow we could hook up and see about getting you running?

I'm normally around after 0800 Central time.
I help a lot of people.

Call me 217-960-0233

Mike W9MDB

On Tuesday, August 24, 2021, 08:03:23 PM CDT, Dan Bathker <d.bathker@...> wrote:

[...]

Laurie
My apologies for my previous inaccurate words, "
Net Framework is installed"

What is installed here is "Microsoft Windows Desktop Runtime" - 5.0.6 (x64) - installed since May 22 2021.
Which can be seen as the third item up from bottom of the list in my screen-capture immediately below:

And allow me to Assure you Laurie my HP 12 GB machine and MS W-10 sw are both 64 bit here.

Question #1 (one Q at a time):
Is MSW Desktop Runtime 5.0.6 (x64) good enough for your latest HamApps JTAlert (x64) 2.50.5 as was reinstalled here Again only 2 days ago?

Respectfully,
K6BLG
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 25/08/2021 11:03 am, Dan Bathker wrote:

Net Framework is installed on Win10

If that statement is accurate, than that is the problem. You need to install the correct .NET 5.0.x Desktop Runtime. <- note there is no "Framework" in that title.

You don't say exactly what doesn't work, except that JTAlert doesn't work with any WSJT-X version.

If you haven't been able to get JTAlert to work after 6 months of trying (that seems like an exaggeration to me), I suggest your next course of action is to find an Elmer who can assist in resolving your broken installation.

Dan Bathker
PO Box 23
La Canada CA 91012

d.bathker@...

Dan Bathker

OK Mike W9MDB
Big Thanks in advance

But I need another day or three or four to get organized.

In the past I was pleased enough with Logging as done by WSJT-X.
Operating my little station here with compromised dipole antenna I managed DXCC (20m) and WAS (20 and 40m) on FT8 during last 2 years despite low sunspot numbers.
I felt there was no need for anything fancier. I like "lean and mean".

Then my first mistake was getting greedy for DXCC also on 40m thinking I "needed" JTAlert.

So many recent sw changes here are now even more confusing/complicated by my recent adding
DXKeeper aboard on advice of Laurie to get that logging program.

But DXKeeper also refuses to work.

Mike
I can do screen-captures of anything you ask to see and navigate to anything you want to see on the HD here and quick email to you.
Big Thanks again in advance
I will call you in a couple days or so

Dan K6BLG

On 8/24/2021 8:34 PM, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Michael Black

Lemme know when you want to get together.

On Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 01:27:44 AM CDT, Dan Bathker <d.bathker@...> wrote:

[...]

Gia Fra

Buon giorno
scusate  il problema forse questo

Install the .NET 5 Desktop Runtime choosing the bit version that matches your Windows bit version determined .

It is Important to choose the ".NET Desktop Runtime" NOT the non-desktop ".NET Runtime".