locked Signal report - Assumptions are important

TomK

To bug reporter:  I think you’ve made a few incorrect assumptions.

If you see the QSO in question in YOUR OWN log, then JTA is uploading correctly.

I go to their page on QRZ.COM and check their log to see if was good contact and no it's not there."

Ok, so you’re saying you don’t see YOUR CALL in the log of ANOTHER QRZ user with whom you had a QSO?

I assume you mean in the “Logbook” widget of the other party’s QRZ profile lookup page?

To see your call in another QRZ user’s log, then (at least) the following conditions must be met:
Forgive me if some are painfully obvious. I just want to be logically complete.

1. You & They (obviously) need to be QRZ members who are maintaining active logs.
  2. You & They must BOTH have uploaded the QSO sometime earlier (Nothing is immediate).
  3. The QSO needs to fit in the short time window of the “Logbook” widget (it’s only 15 entries).
    Active AROs log many calls in short periods so a QSO can fall outside the short widget in minutes.
    Adding to time (say) 15-60 mins to allow all DB updates, then your QSO may never show in that widget.
    To wit: If the other ARO is active and logs many QSOs, then by the time the system updates,
    you are already past the bottom of the time window.

Re advice that “QRZ not a reliable source”.

That was meant to say “AROs do not necessarily upload to QRZ in real-time.”

As a result, inspecting the other party’s log on QRZ is “is not a reliable source” to verify your QSO upload.

Why would you even want to do that? Your QSO upload is all that matters.

If you see your QSO uploaded,  then everything is working as intended.

What happens with the other party’s upload has nothing to do with JT-Alert or QRZ.

All-in-all, QRZ has an outstanding record for database availability when compared to other web logs.

LoTW and the others often have outages on a daily basis. QRZ’s DB has fared much better.

Many perceived JTA and/or QRZ issues are often related to other things like LoTW on the back end.

Hope that helps clarify the issue.

TomK / KT1TK / 73

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> On Behalf Of HamApps Support (VK3AMA)
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2021 6:14 PM
To: Support@HamApps.groups.io
Subject: Re: [HamApps] Signal report

On 26/06/2021 7:53 am, Bob wrote:

I'm using wsjt-x windows 10 .Not using any contest mode. When I say gong to their page I mean I go to their page on QRZ.COM and check their log to see if was good contact and no it's not there. ALT + Q Will take you there. When I get pop-up to confirm QSO There isn't any signal report for me just the report I gave him/her and the time for Sent and received is the same it looks like not enough time. Is there a setting for increasing time for contact  to complete. Let me know your thoughts. Thank you kb1yxn 

Not everyone uploads their QSOs to QRZ, either manually or in real-time. QRZ is not a reliable source in this regard.
I personally never upload to QRZ.

As for missing signal report and QSO start/stop times, JTAlert will only log what it has received from WSJT-X when you log the QSO. You should check the "Log QSO" window fields before hitting the OK button and adjust any incorrect or missing data.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Jim Cooper

On 26 Jun 2021 at 1:14, TomK wrote:

Active AROs
would you mind defining 'ARO'?

use of acronyms without first defining them
can put many readers at a disadvantage for
understanding your post.

w2jc

[I'm GUESSING it means Amateur Radio Operator]

TomK

Apologies. I'm not immune to occasionally using acronyms w/o thoroughly weighing their recognizability in a given venue.

ARO … Amateur Radio Operator.

It's an older, literal variant, TLA that avoids the demeaning, less intuitive, but more recognizable moniker of "HAM".

By less intuitive, I don’t mean less recognizable.  To wit, “ARO” at least makes literal sense whereas “HAM” does not.

<laugh> In case you are asking, "TLA" is the old well-known recursive acronym meaning "Three Letter Acronym".

It is mostly used in jocular wry interchanges making fun of the use of acronyms. Hence the recursive attribution.

Hope that answers your question.

TomK 73

-----Original Message-----
From: Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Cooper
Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2021 1:41 AM
To: TomK <QSO@...>
Cc: Support@HamApps.groups.io
Subject: Re: [HamApps] Signal report - Assumptions are important

On 26 Jun 2021 at 1:14, TomK wrote:

> Active AROs

use of acronyms without first defining them can put many readers at a disadvantage for understanding your post.

w2jc

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 26/06/2021 3:40 pm, Jim Cooper wrote:

understanding your post.

w2jc

AROs to me suggests it is coming from some Government department bureaucratic licensing document.

At my local club we are all HAMs, not AROs, which coincidentally has the same number of characters ;-)

While I am proud to call myself a HAM, I do use the phrase "Amateur Radio Operator" when communicating with non-Hams, especially when trying to explain the meaning of my Car registration plates, "VKDXER". I have to explain about Ham (Amateur) Radio, what the "VK" stands for in relation to the thousands of like-minded individuals around the world, and what is "DX" and why I call myself a "DXer". I never have to explain the meaning to another Ham, except for the occasional newly-minted Ham.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Mark Basel <mb02731@...>

Lived the acronyms world of a 2G logistics planner in the AF, It was nuts. Ive seen SIPRnet message traffic that was almost nothing but🤪 glad I XB3'd most of them🥸

On Jun 26, 2021, at 1:45 AM, Laurie, VK3AMA <hamapps.support@vkdxer.com> wrote:

On 26/06/2021 3:40 pm, Jim Cooper wrote:

understanding your post.

w2jc

AROs to me suggests it is coming from some Government department bureaucratic licensing document.

At my local club we are all HAMs, not AROs, which coincidentally has the same number of characters ;-)

While I am proud to call myself a HAM, I do use the phrase "Amateur Radio Operator" when communicating with non-Hams, especially when trying to explain the meaning of my Car registration plates, "VKDXER". I have to explain about Ham (Amateur) Radio, what the "VK" stands for in relation to the thousands of like-minded individuals around the world, and what is "DX" and why I call myself a "DXer". I never have to explain the meaning to another Ham, except for the occasional newly-minted Ham.

de Laurie VK3AMA

K8TS

GM Laurie;
Thank you for all you fine, and diligent work. Although I have not been active in the FTx modes of late, I know you are still there producing a great product for the ham community, with awesome support.
Dale K8TS