locked Second sound card recommendaiton

Jim Cary

My computer (Dell Optiflex 7010) has only one sound card and I would like to add either a second internal one, or an external one in order to receive sound alerts.  I'd appreciate any recommendations anyone might have.

Thanks,
Jim
W2SM
JimLCary@...

John

If you have a spare USB port, one of those USB sound cards just may be the ticket for you, check Amazon for USB sound card, should be about 2 to 5 bux.

John
VE7KKQ

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 11:47 AM Jim Cary <JimLCary@...> wrote:
My computer (Dell Optiflex 7010) has only one sound card and I would like to add either a second internal one, or an external one in order to receive sound alerts.  I'd appreciate any recommendations anyone might have.

Thanks,
Jim
W2SM
JimLCary@...

Jim Brown

This is a report I first prepared 7 years ago, and have updated several times since.  The Tascam US100 is still my primary audio interface. AG6EE uses one of the ASUS units for his extensive grid expeditions on VHF FT8 and MSK144.

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 11:47 AM Jim Cary <JimLCary@...> wrote:
My computer (Dell Optiflex 7010) has only one sound card and I would like to add either a second internal one, or an external one in order to receive sound alerts.  I'd appreciate any recommendations anyone might have.

Thanks,
Jim
W2SM
JimLCary@...

John

I think the poster was looking for a way to hear the JtAlert alerts, not to use for data transmissions.

John
VE7KKQ

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 12:11 PM Jim Brown <k9yc01@...> wrote:
This is a report I first prepared 7 years ago, and have updated several times since.  The Tascam US100 is still my primary audio interface. AG6EE uses one of the ASUS units for his extensive grid expeditions on VHF FT8 and MSK144.

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 11:47 AM Jim Cary <JimLCary@...> wrote:
My computer (Dell Optiflex 7010) has only one sound card and I would like to add either a second internal one, or an external one in order to receive sound alerts.  I'd appreciate any recommendations anyone might have.

Thanks,
Jim
W2SM
JimLCary@...

Jim Cary

John,

Thanks.

Can't go wrong at that price!

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-10-22 3:30 PM, John wrote:
I think the poster was looking for a way to hear the JtAlert alerts, not to use for data transmissions.
Use the built in sound card for the alerts (Windows Default Device)
and the external sound card for WSJTX.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

http://k9yc.com/USB_Interfaces.pdf

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 11:47 AM Jim Cary <JimLCary@gmail.com> wrote:

My computer (Dell Optiflex 7010) has only one sound card and I would like
to add either a second internal one, or an external one in order to receive
sound alerts. I'd appreciate any recommendations anyone might have.

Thanks,
Jim
W2SM
JimLCary@gmail.com

Micky Corrow

I have used inexpensive USB sound interfaces with both laptops as well as desktop systems.
They are commonly available on eBay for a couple dollars.
(you may need audio cables to connect, depending on your system...)

Micky K1XH

Hasan Schiers N0AN

Use the internal sound card for your Windows Sounds (including JTAlert notifications) and use the add-on USB Dongle (about $5.00 on Amazon) for your digital apps. Or buy two dongles, use one for JTAlert and the 2nd for digital apps.

There is no advantage to spending a bunch of money for a fancy sound card for the digital modes. They don't need it, and you gain nothing. I'm using at least 4 of them on assorted computers and they are plug and play, no issues. The little dongles have in and out (audio) and are automatically recognized by Windows as a C-Media device.

No issues at all. They have 3.5 mm stereo in and out.

73, N0AN
Hasan

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 1:47 PM Jim Cary <JimLCary@...> wrote:
My computer (Dell Optiflex 7010) has only one sound card and I would like to add either a second internal one, or an external one in order to receive sound alerts.  I'd appreciate any recommendations anyone might have.

Thanks,
Jim
W2SM
JimLCary@...

K0GU

For alerts I use a cheap USB dongle sound card driving a pair of cheap powered PC speakers. The dongle actually does a OK job as the PC sound input from a receiver for digi.  .
--
73,  Jay  K0GU

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-10-23 1:44 PM, Hasan Schiers N0AN wrote:
There is no advantage to spending a bunch of money for a fancy sound
card for the digital modes. They don't need it, and you gain nothing.
This is only true when speaking about 16bit CODECs running off a 3.3
or 5V supply. If the sound card has a 24 bit ADC with a higher
voltage reference you can obtain several dB more dynamic range if
the receiver and sound card preamp are well designed (low noise).

This does rule out most of the JA rigs and commodity sound cards but
saying the 24 bit sound cards are of no value is certainly an over-
simplification.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 1:47 PM Jim Cary <JimLCary@gmail.com <mailto:JimLCary@gmail.com>> wrote:
My computer (Dell Optiflex 7010) has only one sound card and I would
like to add either a second internal one, or an external one in
order to receive sound alerts.  I'd appreciate any recommendations
anyone might have.
Thanks,
Jim
W2SM
JimLCary@gmail.com <mailto:JimLCary@gmail.com>

Hasan Schiers N0AN

Hi Joe,

Some very extensive tests were run with Direwolf software looking at decoding efficiency vs. Soundcard quality. At that time they provided test files, so you could verify the results yourself.

They could find no improvement in decode efficiency with higher end sound cards vs. a 5 dollar USB dongle (1200 baud packet)

The testers concluded there was little or nothing to gain spending the extra money, as it did not produce enhanced results.

That was quite a few years ago, maybe things have changed, but I doubt it.

73, N0AN

On 2021-10-23 1:44 PM, Hasan Schiers N0AN wrote:
> Use the internal sound card for your Windows Sounds (including JTAlert
> notifications) and use the add-on USB Dongle (about $5.00 on Amazon) for
> your digital apps. Or buy two dongles, use one for JTAlert and the 2nd
> for digital apps.
>
> There is no advantage to spending a bunch of money for a fancy sound
> card for the digital modes. They don't need it, and you gain nothing.
> I'm using at least 4 of them on assorted computers and they are plug and
> play, no issues. The little dongles have in and out (audio) and are
> automatically recognized by Windows as a C-Media device.
>
> No issues at all. They have 3.5 mm stereo in and out.
>
> 73, N0AN
> Hasan
>

> On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 1:47 PM Jim Cary <JimLCary@...
> <mailto:JimLCary@...>> wrote:
>
>     My computer (Dell Optiflex 7010) has only one sound card and I would
>     like to add either a second internal one, or an external one in
>     order to receive sound alerts.  I'd appreciate any recommendations
>     anyone might have.
>
>     Thanks,
>     Jim
>     W2SM
>     JimLCary@... <mailto:JimLCary@...>

Joe Subich, W4TV

Some very extensive tests were run with Direwolf software looking at
decoding efficiency vs. Soundcard quality. At that time they provided
test files, so you could verify the results yourself.
Direwolf is an AX.25 package. It did not perform any testing with
standard RTTY, or any of the "Joe Taylor modes". I can assure you
that I can copy many more stations with a good high reference 24 bit
ADC and low internal noise receiver than I can with the same receiver
and a "commodity" 16 bit ADC like those found in the common USB dongle,
SignaLink or even the internal 16-bit USB CODEC/ADC in many of the
current transceivers.

73,

... Joe, W4TV