Topics

Saving configs

Jeff Campbell

Is there a way to save configs?  I recently made some changes which had undesirable consequences, and it took some effort to remember what I'd incorrectly changed.  If it was easy to revert to an earlier known good configuration that would be much safer.  Is there a way of doing this?

Jeff - G4IUA

Dave Garber

Not sure if jtalert has a ini file or similar but you could the appears folder before making changes

sent by my LG phone

On Tue, May 19, 2020, 3:47 PM Jeff Campbell, <g4iua@...> wrote:

Is there a way to save configs?  I recently made some changes which had undesirable consequences, and it took some effort to remember what I'd incorrectly changed.  If it was easy to revert to an earlier known good configuration that would be much safer.  Is there a way of doing this?

Jeff - G4IUA

Jeff Campbell

It might be a useful feature for a future release?  It's always good being able to restore setting to an earlier configuration.

Jeff - G4IUA

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 20/05/2020 4:06 am, Jeff Campbell wrote:

Is there a way to save configs?  I recently made some changes which had undesirable consequences, and it took some effort to remember what I'd incorrectly changed.  If it was easy to revert to an earlier known good configuration that would be much safer.  Is there a way of doing this?

Jeff - G4IUA

Config backups are automatically created by JTAlert. The most recent 7 days of backups are retained.
The backup files are located in the same directory as the active config file (config.sqlite), here -->

    %localappdata%\HamApps\<YOUR_CALLSIGN>\config\JTAlertX\

The backup files have the utc data/time of creation as part of the filename.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Jeff Campbell

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 10:00 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
%localappdata%\HamApps\<YOUR_CALLSIGN>\config\JTAlertX\
Thanks Laurie.  I've located the files but I'm not sure how I should revert to one of the earlier configs.  Is it just a matter of selecting the desired one (based on the time and date) and renaming it config.sqlite or is that incorrect?

Jeff - G4IUA

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 21/05/2020 9:52 am, Jeff Campbell wrote:
Thanks Laurie.  I've located the files but I'm not sure how I should revert to one of the earlier configs.  Is it just a matter of selecting the desired one (based on the time and date) and renaming it config.sqlite or is that incorrect?

Jeff - G4IUA
Yes, just rename the backup file to config.sqlite after first stopping JTAlert

BTW, the future JTAlertV3 allows for restoring the config from a backup file while JTAlert is running, but that is not possible within the current code.

de Laurie VK3AMA

John Petrocelli

I do have a simple CMD file that will backup the config file(s).
It simply copies the file(s) to a backup directory and appends the date & time to the file name.
Thus, one can have very many backups thru time as one chooses.

If interested, AND with Laurie's OK I shall be happy to share this very simple CMD file with instructions to set it up.

John R. Petrocelli - WA2HIP
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
Primary Home Page:
   http://wa2hip.com
On 5/21/2020 12:28 AM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
On 21/05/2020 9:52 am, Jeff Campbell wrote:
Thanks Laurie.  I've located the files but I'm not sure how I should revert to one of the earlier configs.  Is it just a matter of selecting the desired one (based on the time and date) and renaming it config.sqlite or is that incorrect?

Jeff - G4IUA
Yes, just rename the backup file to config.sqlite after first stopping JTAlert

BTW, the future JTAlertV3 allows for restoring the config from a backup file while JTAlert is running, but that is not possible within the current code.

Jeff Campbell

Thanks both.  Certainly in the meantime your backup file utility sounds good John.  Laurie: I look forward to the release of v3!

Jeff - G4IUA

John Petrocelli

Hello Jeff & all,

   Here is my simple CMD file with instructions.

  1) Locate your "config" directory for JTAlert.
      In my case it is in "C:\Users\<USERID>\AppData\Local\HamApps\
<Call>\config".  Note to replace <USERID> with your computer's User-ID & "<Call>" with your correct callsign.

  2) Create a NEW directory in the above location with a name of "#Backup".
      Note the result will be "
C:\Users\<USERID>\AppData\Local\HamApps\<Call>\config\#Backup".

  3) Copy the  CMD file text (below) into the directory

"C:\Users\<USERID>\AppData\Local\HamApps\<Call>\config"

     You can  use Notepad to create this file, but be sure it has an extension of "cmd".  You can name the file however you wish.
      In my case I named it "JTAlert_Config_Backup.cmd".
==================Here is the CMD file================================
@Echo Off
For /f "tokens=2-4 delims=/ " %%a in ('date /t') do (set mydate=%%c%%a%%b)
For /f "tokens=1-4 delims=/:. " %%a in ("%TIME%") do (set mytime=%%a%%b%%c)
rem
Echo copy JTAlertX\*.* #Backup\*.*.%mydate%-%mytime%
copy JTAlertX\*.* #Backup\*.*.%mydate%-%mytime%
Pause

John R. Petrocelli - WA2HIP
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
Primary Home Page:
   http://wa2hip.com
On 5/21/2020 3:23 PM, Jeff Campbell wrote:
Thanks both.  Certainly in the meantime your backup file utility sounds good John.  Laurie: I look forward to the release of v3!

Jeff - G4IUA

Jeff Campbell

Great John; thank you for sharing that.  It works a treat and until Laurie is able to release the next version (v3) it will add another level of safety.  I made several changes recently within JTAlert and it no longer worked as it should have, and for the life of me I couldn't remember exactly what I'd changed.  Being able to easily backtrack would have saved me a considerable amount of effort!
Do you have any idea when v3 will be ready for release Laurie (or is that a question you cannot answer yet???).

Thanks again for that very useful utility John.

Jeff - G4IUA

John Petrocelli

Hello Jeff,

   I use a very similar CMD file the the WSJT-X files --  All.txt, INI, & log.
   For the All.txt file the CMD file actually "moves" the file rather than simple make a backup copy.

73
John - WA2HIP
John R. Petrocelli - WA2HIP
Primary Home Page: