RTTY RU Worked Before Problem - Fault Found

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

Jeff,

I received your RU log, thanks.

Without any testing done yet, I have located the cause of the inconsistent B4 reporting. It is due to the mode logged as "DG" rather than "FT4". JTAlert would never find FT4 worked B4 QSOs which are logged as "DG". That is not a mode JTAlert is looking for. I note that you have a mixture of "FT4" and "DG" logged for the contest.

This looks like a N3FJP setup issue to me.

If "DG" is an acceptable mode for the N3FJP contest loggers then I will have to extend JTAlert to look for that mode when doing B4 checks. I am reluctant to do that at this time since your log has a mix of modes which may be a setup issue or a problem within the logger. I will wait and see.

Would that be RTTY perhaps?

Mike W9MDB

On Friday, January 14, 2022, 05:11:02 PM CST, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:

Jeff,

I received your RU log, thanks.

Without any testing done yet, I have located the cause of the inconsistent B4 reporting. It is due to the mode logged as "DG" rather than "FT4". JTAlert would never find FT4 worked B4 QSOs which are logged as "DG". That is not a mode JTAlert is looking for. I note that you have a mixture of "FT4" and "DG" logged for the contest.

This looks like a N3FJP setup issue to me.

If "DG" is an acceptable mode for the N3FJP contest loggers then I will have to extend JTAlert to look for that mode when doing B4 checks. I am reluctant to do that at this time since your log has a mix of modes which may be a setup issue or a problem within the logger. I will wait and see.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Jeff Young

Laurie,
I changed the mode to DG because the ARRL RTTY RU  rules said RTTY QSOs were to be logged as "RY" and Digital  modes were to be logged as "DG". The one FT4 you found was because I forgot to change the mode. This apparently is a new feature in N3FJPs software to comply with the rules.
73
JEFF KB3HF

Without any testing done yet, I have located the cause of the inconsistent B4 reporting. It is due to the mode logged as "DG" rather than "FT4". JTAlert would never find FT4 worked B4 QSOs which are logged as "DG". That is not a mode JTAlert is looking for. I note that you have a mixture of "FT4" and "DG" logged for the contest.

This looks like a N3FJP setup issue to me.

If "DG" is an acceptable mode for the N3FJP contest loggers then I will have to extend JTAlert to look for that mode when doing B4 checks. I am reluctant to do that at this time since your log has a mix of modes which may be a setup issue or a problem within the logger. I will wait and see.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Jim Cooper

On 15 Jan 2022 at 10:10, HamApps Support (VK3AMA)
wrote:

Without any testing done yet, I have
located the cause of the
inconsistent B4 reporting. It is due
to the mode logged as "DG" rather than
"FT4". JTAlert would never find FT4
worked B4 QSOs which are logged as
"DG". That is not a mode JTAlert is
looking for. I note that you have a
mixture of "FT4" and "DG" logged for
the contest.
FYI, I can note for you that the RU contest
Cabrillo file submission wants RY for RTTY
contacts and DG for all other digital contacts.

2.4 In the Cabrillo formatted log, RTTY contacts use RY and
all other digital modes use the DG
mode abbreviations.

I don't know if these get put into the ADIF log file,
but that's basically where the DG comes from.

w2jc

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 15/01/2022 10:16 am, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
Would that be RTTY perhaps?

Mike W9MDB

Don't know. If it is the case than the JTAlert B4 options need to be set to "ignore mode" in order to avoid dupes when a previous QSO was logged as DG and JTAlert not picking them up when the mode is FT4.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Jeff Young

Will Cabrillo convert an FT4 to DG from a log that logged a QSO as FT4? If so, that's were I went wrong because I used the option in N3FJP'S RTTY RU to log contacts as DG immediately in the log during the contest.
Jeff KB3HF

wrote:

> Without any testing done yet, I have
> located the cause of the
> inconsistent B4 reporting. It is due
> to the mode logged as "DG" rather than
> "FT4". JTAlert would never find FT4
> worked B4 QSOs which are logged as
> "DG". That is not a mode JTAlert is
> looking for. I note that you have a
> mixture of "FT4" and "DG" logged for
> the contest.

FYI, I can note for you that the RU contest
Cabrillo file submission wants RY for RTTY
contacts and DG for all other digital contacts.

2.4 In the Cabrillo formatted log, RTTY contacts use RY and
all other digital modes use the DG
mode abbreviations.

I don't know if these get put into the ADIF log file,
but that's basically where the DG comes from.

w2jc

Jeff Young

That's the solution when using log software that is specific to the contest and is a unique log compared to your main log that is used everyday. I didn't notice that option because how JTAert reads the file for B4 wasn't obvious to me

Jeff KB3HF

On 15/01/2022 10:36 am, Jeff Young wrote:
I changed the mode to DG because the ARRL RTTY RU  rules said RTTY QSOs were to be logged as "RY" and Digital  modes were to be logged as "DG". The one FT4 you found was because I forgot to change the mode. This apparently is a new feature in N3FJPs software to comply with the rules.
73
JEFF KB3HF

FYI, I counted over 70 QSOs logged as FT4 , not one. Regardless, "DG" is not a mode that JTAlert looks for when doing its B4 checks.

Since the N3FJP logger is remapping the mode during the logging, you need to set the "Alerts -> Worked B4" to ignore the mode.

On 15/01/2022 10:40 am, Jim Cooper wrote:
FYI, I can note for you that the RU contest
Cabrillo file submission wants RY for RTTY
contacts and DG for all other digital contacts.

2.4 In the Cabrillo formatted log, RTTY contacts use RY and
all other digital modes use the DG
mode abbreviations.

I don't know if these get put into the ADIF log file,
but that's basically where the DG comes from.

w2jc

It looks like a bad design decision by N3FJP, IMHO. changing the logged mode to meet the requirements of a Cabrillo log submission. If it was me, I would log the mode correctly, as used on-air, then change the mode as part of the Cabrillo file generation.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Joe Subich, W4TV

Without checking the N3FJP software ... it *should* record the QSO with
the mode that was used on the air and *export* FT4/FT8 QSOs as DG for
the Cabrillo file. ADIF exports should use <MODE:3>FT8 for FT8 and
<MODE:4>MFSK<SUBMODE:3>FT4 for LotW. In any case the log should have
the correct mode *NOT* DG/RY.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

wrote:

> Without any testing done yet, I have
> located the cause of the
> inconsistent B4 reporting. It is due
> to the mode logged as "DG" rather than
> "FT4". JTAlert would never find FT4
> worked B4 QSOs which are logged as
> "DG". That is not a mode JTAlert is
> looking for. I note that you have a
> mixture of "FT4" and "DG" logged for
> the contest.
FYI, I can note for you that the RU contest
Cabrillo file submission wants RY for RTTY
contacts and DG for all other digital contacts.
2.4 In the Cabrillo formatted log, RTTY contacts use RY and
all other digital modes use the DG
mode abbreviations.
I don't know if these get put into the ADIF log file,
but that's basically where the DG comes from.
w2jc

Jeff Young

I edited a copy of my log and changed the mode from DG back to FT4. Wrote out the cabillio file and it converted FT4 to DG.

So, my error was using the mode change function to log contacts as DG during the contest.

73
Jeff

On 2022-01-14 6:48 PM, Jeff Young wrote:
> Will Cabrillo convert an FT4 to DG from a log that logged a QSO as FT4?
> If so, that's were I went wrong because I used the option in N3FJP'S
> RTTY RU to log contacts as DG immediately in the log during the contest.
> Jeff KB3HF

neil_zampella

If one uses the WSJT-X built-in Cabrillo log, it will properly use DG for any FTx contact.

Neil, KN3ILZ