locked RTTY RU Worked Before Problem

Jeff Young

I have a problem that occurred during the RTTY Roundup.

I was running N3FJP RTTY Contest Log ver. 3.9, WSJT-X ver. 2.3.1 and JTAlert Ver. 2.50.9 on a WIN10 Pro computer.

My problem was the Worked Before (B4) function did not find/show contacts worked before in the contest if I started on 20m for instance, then changed bands to 40m for a while and then later changed back to the 20m band. B4 worked on the initial start of the both 20m and 40m bands, but when I returned to 20m from 40m a later point, the B4 function did not find/show B4 decoded stations from the first session in the 20m band resulting in me working dupes.

The actual logging of a contact to the N3FJP software worked fine but for some reason, it appears that JTAlert was not reading the entire database log for same band in different sessions during the contest.

I have attached the settings pages below that I thought were need for this to work.

Thanks,
Jeff KB3HF

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 13/01/2022 9:49 am, Jeff Young wrote:

My problem was the Worked Before (B4) function did not find/show contacts worked before in the contest if I started on 20m for instance, then changed bands to 40m for a while and then later changed back to the 20m band. B4 worked on the initial start of the both 20m and 40m bands, but when I returned to 20m from 40m a later point, the B4 function did not find/show B4 decoded stations from the first session in the 20m band resulting in me working dupes.

The actual logging of a contact to the N3FJP software worked fine but for some reason, it appears that JTAlert was not reading the entire database log for same band in different sessions during the contest.

Was there a JTAlert restart between your initial 20m activity and when you went back to 20m after working other bands?

Did JTAlert confirm that the QSO was correctly logged? If you had confirmations turned off, it may be a case of JTAlert not reading the correct log file and you never seeing the warning.

What you describe suggests to me that you don't have the correct logfile selected in the manual configuration, A JTAlert logging confirmation success or failure popup will answer that question for me.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Jeff Young

Laurie,

Yes. I receive a confirmation from JTAert that the contest was logged and the logged QSO shows up immediately in the N3FJP log on my second screen.

Also, there was no restart of JTAlert during the contest. What would happen if the software is restarted?

Thanks
Jeff KB3HF

[...]

In previous email, contest logged should be contact logged. Darn auto correct.
Jeff

On 14/01/2022 8:19 am, Jeff Young wrote:
Yes. I receive a confirmation from JTAert that the contest was logged and the logged QSO shows up immediately in the N3FJP log on my second screen.

Also, there was no restart of JTAlert during the contest. What would happen if the software is restarted?

Thanks
Jeff KB3HF

Jeff,

If JTAlert is confirming the QSO was logged, which involves a direct read of the physical log file, then the B4 checks which are performed against the physical log file should also be accurate. I don't have an explanation at this time why the B4 status is lost on a band change, it appears that something is not working correctly. It may be in the JTAlert code in relation to the changes necessary to utilize one of the N3FJP contest loggers rather than ACLog.

I will need to reinstall my N3FJP software and setup a contest test environment to run some tests and hopefully can replicate the issue. If you don't mind, it would be helpful if I could get a zipped copy of your N3FJP RU contest log. It is best if I can test against real log data rather than artificial data.
Please send it to me direct if you can. to VK3AMA.Ham.Apps [at] gmail.com

Regarding my question about JTAlert restarts, that would only have been an issue if the wrong log file was being referenced and the internal B4 status cache being cleared on restarts. You can ignore the question since you were getting logging confirmations indicating the correct log was set.

de Laurie VK3AMA