Topics

locked sticky Resetting Wanted Grid lists for each calendar month : #GRIDCHASE #TIP

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

From the JTAlert Help File, "Tutorials -> ARRL International Grid Chase 2018" topic...

The Wanted Grids Scan Log operation should be performed at the start of each UTC Month. This will reset the Wanted Grid Lists so that all Grids regardless of being worked B4 will produce alerts for the new Month. The Scan can be run multiple times during the month, but ideally this should be done after you have updated your log with the latest LoTW confirmations.

de Laurie, VK3AMA

K6EU

Is it possible to run an scan and NOT reset the month?  IE, I'd prefer that the not needed numbers not be reset but instead reflect the total since 1/1/2018.

Michael Black

That's the whole idea of grid chase...new month is a reset.
What is it you want do?  Work a grid only once for the year?  If so, why have Grid Chase turned on?

de Mike W9MDB

On Monday, February 5, 2018, 12:43:49 PM CST, K6EU <wa4qvq@...> wrote:

Is it possible to run an scan and NOT reset the month?  IE, I'd prefer that the not needed numbers not be reset but instead reflect the total since 1/1/2018.

Jim Cooper

imho, it's a neat idea to try to work as many grids as possible,
but I'm not inclined to wipe out my work every month ... so I am
wanting to do the same thing as K6EU and what I have decided is
not particularly convenient ... but I have N1MM+ set up for the
Grid Chase (which gives a nice page showing all the grids worked
so far -- meaning you can glance at it and see if you've worked that
grid yet) ... unfortunately, JTalert doesn't automatically post to
N1MM+ (and still retain its other functions) so I just keep another
screen open and enter manually the log of each new grid ...

Sure would love to have JTalerts fill in N1MM+ like it does QRZ!

w2jc

<@K6EU> wrote:

Is it possible to run an scan and NOT reset
the month?  IE, I'd prefer that the not needed
numbers not be reset but instead reflect the
total since 1/1/2018.

K6EU

Hi Mike

I want grid chase turned on so that JtAlert does not scan my log prior to 2018.  The first QSO in my log is for 1965.  Don't want it scanning all the way back to then.  OK, grids were not adopted until in the 1980 so I't would not go that far back.

73,

Tom K6EU

On 6/02/2018 3:57 AM, K6EU wrote:
Is it possible to run an scan and NOT reset the month?  IE, I'd prefer that the not needed numbers not be reset but instead reflect the total since 1/1/2018.

OM,

No, it is not possible to prevent the monthly grid reset. It is a requirement of the Grid Chase event. It is a monthly event (not contest) covering the 2018 calendar year.

If you want to only to be alerted on unique grids for 2018 you only option is to start with an empty log or a log that only contains 2018 qsos and NOT enable the Grid Chase. This will work for Grid alerting per your requirements, BUT also affects all other alerts (DXCC, State, etc) which I suspect would not be desirable having previously confirmed DXCCs alerting as an example.

de Laurie VK3AMA

K6EU

Thanks for the reply.

73

Tom K6EU

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 6/02/2018 6:05 AM, Jim Cooper wrote:
unfortunately, JTalert doesn't automatically post to
N1MM+ (and still retain its other functions) so I just keep another
screen open and enter manually the log of each new grid ...

Sure would love to have JTalerts fill in N1MM+ like it does QRZ!

w2jc
Not true,

JTAlert can automatically log each new QSO to N1MM+.

See the JTAlert help file, "Tutorials -> DXPedition Mode with N1MM+ logging" topic.

Ignore the first part of the help topic describing how to setup a new shortcut for the running JTAlert in this mode and look to the instructions on setting up N1MM+ to monitor and log the JTAlert Last QSO Logged UDP broadcast.

From the help file...

Setup N1MM+ to monitor and log the JTAlert Last QSO Logged UDP broadcast.

The latest version of N1MM+ must be used. Open the N1MM+ Configurer window (via the Config -> Configure Ports, Mode Control, Audio, Other ... menu). UDP port must match the port set in JTAlert Settings, Logging -> Last QSO API section.

FYI, This new mode of JTAlert operation was originally created for the recent Mellish Reef DXPedition.

On 6/02/2018 6:05 AM, Jim Cooper wrote:
unfortunately, JTalert doesn't automatically post to
N1MM+ (and still retain its other functions) so I just keep another
screen open and enter manually the log of each new grid ...

Sure would love to have JTalerts fill in N1MM+ like it does QRZ!

w2jc
Not true,

JTAlert can automatically log each new QSO to N1MM+.

See the JTAlert help file, "Tutorials -> DXPedition Mode with N1MM+ logging" topic.

Ignore the first part of the help topic describing how to setup a new shortcut for the running JTAlert in this mode and look to the instructions on setting up N1MM+ to monitor and log the JTAlert Last QSO Logged UDP broadcast.

From the help file...

Setup N1MM+ to monitor and log the JTAlert Last QSO Logged UDP broadcast.

The latest version of N1MM+ must be used. Open the N1MM+ Configurer window (via the Config -> Configure Ports, Mode Control, Audio, Other ... menu). UDP port must match the port set in JTAlert Settings, Logging -> Last QSO API section.

FYI, This new mode of JTAlert operation was originally created for the recent Mellish Reef DXPedition.

de Laurie VK3AMA

JohnB

As a personal goal I too would like to work as many grids in a year, NOT every month.  The Grid Chase as organized by the ARRL is like Groundhog Day, work the same station, same grid, on the same band month after month.  To me that's silly, and I'm guessing a pain for those people who are not in the chase.  Agreed that the Grid Chase is not a contest, so who cares if I'm not following the rules (although I'm sure the ARRL will be selling certificates each month to those people who want wallpaper to document their achievements just like they did for the National Park On The Air non-contest).

Here's what I'm doing.  I'm using JTDX and have configured its logbook file (JTDX.adi) to contain only contacts starting in January 2018. JTDX has several unique notification functions are not available in WSJT-X  that alert me of stations worked before and grids not worked for the year (not necessarily confirmed).  In JTAlert, I've turned OFF Grid Chase 2018 but have enabled alerts for wanted grids. The result is not perfect and sometimes confusing, but at least the combination of JTDX and JTAlert gives me a heads-up of what stations I've worked B4 and what grids I've never worked.

. . . John (WA3CAS)