Topics

locked Reporting -> UDP Server

Jon Gefaell

Edited

*** Sorry, posted to the wrong group! ***

I'm trying to figure out exactly what specific behavior is provoked by these options, and why someone might use them. I did a search here and found no matches.

They seem 'obvious' on one hand., but the devil is always in the details. The documentation doesn't mention these options, unfortunately.

I had thought that "Notify on accepted UDP request" causes a dialogue to pop up that indicates a UDP request was accepted. Empirical testing seems to show this is not true. So, I assume the notification is happening between the software endpoints? What does this do, why would I want to use it, and why not?
As for 'Accepted UDP request restores window' I have to imagine what window? And why would the window be minimized? I presume 'restores window' means that the window has been minimized? Why? What does this behavior offer a user? Or is this not an on-screen window, but perhaps some internal data element?

At this point, I cannot detect any behavioral change with either on, or off. I'd sleep better knowing. Thanks!

Thanks again!

JoAnn Donaldson

Jon,
   I use he UDP connectivity along with a Python Script to log contacts to N3FJP ACLog. When the popup comes up when you either get or send a RR73 and you click the Log Button, a ADIF packet is broadcasted over the UDP port. The Python Script sees this broadcast, captures it, creates the required N3FJP API commands, and then sends it to ACLog, which logs the contact. Even JTDX does the same thing.

JoAnn
AB8YZ

On Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 1:55:58 PM CST, Jon Gefaell <jon@...> wrote:

[...]

8 Comments