Topics

Regarding JTAlert 2.16.5 randomly stopping display of Callsigns

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

This random stopping of Callsigns display has a potential fix. The fix has been sent directly to all those who have reported the behavior either in this group or in a Support Request.

Those direct email contains a simple message and request...
Try this latest build. It may help or it may not.
Please let me know your results.

Of the 15 people sent the new build link only 2 have responded. Several where sent followup emails requesting feedback with only one response bringing the total response to 3 out of 15.

At this time, with this level of feedback (lack of), I am not willing to make this build a public release. I am not confident the changes made offer a complete fix to this problem.

Come on guys, if the problem is severe enough to post a message, how hard can it be to send a single line email saying the new beta build works or it doesn't. Silence doesn't answer that fundamental question.

FWIW, none of the 30+ JTAlert Test team have experience this problem, so I am relying on those who have to provide some feedback.

de Laurie VK3AMA

John, DK9JC / AK9JC

Please allow us some more hours of testing. So far I could not reproduce the bug on the beta. Looking very promising yet.

Will keep you posted. TU for the quick fix.

John, DK9JC / AK9JC

40 QSO in the last 2h and no crash. Seems fixed I would say.
Great work!

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 18/05/2020 7:32 am, John, DK9JC / AK9JC wrote:

Please allow us some more hours of testing. So far I could not reproduce the bug on the beta. Looking very promising yet.

John,

This message thread wasn't target at you as you had just reported the defect. The message was targeted at those who have had access to the new Beta for several days now without a word of feedback!

Tnx for reporting that the Beta is working for you.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Jim - N4ST

Just got hold of the beta an hour ago.

First glance, it is an improvement.

Definitely runs longer than the current non-Beta version.

When I change WSJT-X configurations, such as FT8 to FT4, JTAlert stops reporting decodes.  But, it is not hard frozen like before. 

The band activity still displays and the pop-up works.

Can still open settings and when moving WSJT-X window, JTAlert remains docked. 

Just no decode reporting.

Exiting and restarting JTAlert restores proper operation with the new WSJT-X configuration.

Not ideal, but it is at least usable again.

Jim – N4ST

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> On Behalf Of HamApps Support (VK3AMA)
Sent: Sunday, May 17, 2020 20:07
To: Support@HamApps.groups.io
Subject: Re: [HamApps] Regarding JTAlert 2.16.5 randomly stopping display of Callsigns

On 18/05/2020 7:32 am, John, DK9JC / AK9JC wrote:

John,

This message thread wasn't target at you as you had just reported the defect. The message was targeted at those who have had access to the new Beta for several days now without a word of feedback!

Tnx for reporting that the Beta is working for you.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Botz Care

Edited

I have the same issue. Both on the 32 and 64 bit version.

This morning I reinstalled again (64 bit) and after first test it took 7 minutes till it didn’t showed the callsigns anymore in Jtalert 2.16.5.

Second time after restarting it all it took much longer, about 40 minutes or so.

Hope you can send me the fix too Laurie so I can test that out.

Thanks in advance,

Ivan , PD0AI

---
Report to Laurie:

Just been testing the new beta 4 hours none stop with WSJTX 2.2.0 RC1.
So far all seems okay to me now. All callsigns still being refreshed every cycle.
Logging to QRZ eQSL HRDLOG also no hickups.

Thanks alot for the fix :)

Ivan PD0AI

Bobby Chandler

Laurie, I reported this a while ago, but not lately since it is so intermittent here, but am still having the problem. I would like to try the new build, if possible.

Bobby/N4AU

--
Bobby Chandler
bobbye@...
n4au@...

Jim - N4ST

The link was provided on this forum yesterday.
Here is a cut 'n paste of Laurie's posting.

_________
Jim - N4ST

https://dnl.HamApps.com/Beta/JTAlert.2.16.5.build.0002.Beta.Setup.exe

de Laurie VK3AMA

-----Original Message-----
From: Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bobby Chandler
Sent: Monday, May 18, 2020 06:05
Subject: Re: [HamApps] Regarding JTAlert 2.16.5 randomly stopping display of Callsigns

Laurie, I reported this a while ago, but not lately since it is so
intermittent here, but am still having the problem. I would like to try
the new build, if possible.

Bobby/N4AU

--
Bobby Chandler
bobbye@...
n4au@...

Botz Care

Just been testing the new beta 4 hours none stop with WSJTX 2.2.0 RC1.
So far all seems okay to me now. All callsigns still being refreshed every cycle.
Logging to QRZ eQSL HRDLOG also no hickups.

Thanks alot for the fix :)

Ivan PD0AI

WB5JJJ - George

I think I send you an email response directly, but if I didn't, the new beta seems to have corrected the problem.  I've run it now since you sent it to me and have not noticed any loss of communications between WSJTx and JTA.  I did have to do a reboot of the computer after installing both latest versions as it was not working until after the reboot.  Something must have hung around after both updates processed.  Several W10 updates later now and all is still good. 
--
73's
George - WB5JJJ

Jim - N4ST

Has anyone else seen the decoding stop working when changing WSJT-X configurations (FT8-FT4)?

Has anyone seen any differences between running WSJT-X 32-bit vs 64-bit?

Jim – N4ST

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> On Behalf Of WB5JJJ - George
Sent: Monday, May 18, 2020 09:46

I think I send you an email response directly, but if I didn't, the new beta seems to have corrected the problem.  I've run it now since you sent it to me and have not noticed any loss of communications between WSJTx and JTA.  I did have to do a reboot of the computer after installing both latest versions as it was not working until after the reboot.  Something must have hung around after both updates processed.  Several W10 updates later now and all is still good. 
--
73's
George - WB5JJJ

Tom Job

I have noticed that WSJT-X will "skip" a decode cycle on both FT-4 and FT-8 and then work fine for the next.  Of course, if WSJT-X doesn't decode anything then JTA will display the previous decode, not the current.  For me, it's a random event and I can duplicate it but it always seems to happen at the worst time , usually when a -22 DX station is supposed to send RR73!  :)  This will happen anytime and sometimes twice in one minute and then not for another 8 hours.  Completely random!

But, for the price, I can live with it!! :)

73....Tom

Bobby Chandler

Worked all day OK here with the beta version Laurie.

Bobby/N4AU

--
Bobby Chandler
bobbye@...
n4au@...

Jim Reisert AD1C

I don't know what the exact problem is, but if it's the callsigns all
disappearing when you start transmitting, I'd be happy to test. I
just saw the problem a few minutes ago. It's not consistent, I've
only seen it once in the last half hour or so.

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert@...>, http://www.ad1c.us

William Thomas

Jim, I have also seen this happen a few times...  seems pretty random,, and not very often.

73 Bill WT0DX

afa1yy

I also experience this problem.  My cure has been to shut down JTAlert and restart it.  I'm sure Laurie will have this fixed with the next update,
--
Art  K0AY

Hasan Schiers N0AN

I downloaded the Beta and have not seen the problem since then. It's been three days, using different configurations and different bands (in WSJT-X)

I think the Beta fixes it, at least it did for me.

73, N0AN
Hasan

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 9:59 AM afa1yy <arthur@...> wrote:
I also experience this problem.  My cure has been to shut down JTAlert and restart it.  I'm sure Laurie will have this fixed with the next update,
--
Art  K0AY

Jim - N4ST

The Beta runs for hours without issue for me, until I do a WSJT-X configuration change.

Then I have to restart JTAlert and then it runs for hours again.

Jim – N4ST

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> On Behalf Of Hasan Schiers N0AN
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 11:13
To: Support <Support@hamapps.groups.io>

I downloaded the Beta and have not seen the problem since then. It's been three days, using different configurations and different bands (in WSJT-X)

73, N0AN

Hasan

--
Art  K0AY

Hasan Schiers N0AN

I did do one configuration change from my FT8 Config to my MSK144 Config (I use separate configs for each mode), and it continued to work. Will do some more config changes to confirm that it holds.
73, N0AN
Hasan

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 10:45 AM Jim - N4ST <newsgroup@...> wrote:

The Beta runs for hours without issue for me, until I do a WSJT-X configuration change.

Then I have to restart JTAlert and then it runs for hours again.

Jim – N4ST

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> On Behalf Of Hasan Schiers N0AN
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 11:13
To: Support <Support@hamapps.groups.io>

73, N0AN

Hasan

--
Art  K0AY

k2wj@...

Please add me to the list of users having this problem of decodes randomly stopping. Since the problem was reported and was identified as a problem I felt no need to speak out until now "re: level of feedback."  Running windows 7 SP1 - 64 bit here. No problems until this release. I chose to revert back to 2.6.14 until resolved. Please announce when update is again available with the fix. Thanks for your fine program Laurie

de John K2WJ