Topics

Recurring JTAlert crash

gksmith_1

Good afternoon,

I have a bit of a mystery that I have not been able to solve.

This may not be the proper place for this query, but since it is JTAlert that I can no longer make run, I thought that I would start here.

I have used WSJT-X, JTAlert and DX Keeper for a number of years now without any issues at all.

Now, however, I have a situation that I have NOT, using all of the search features of the forum, been able to discover a cure for.

I had been using WSJTX-2.3.0-rc2 along with JTAlert 2.16.17 and things were operating very well.

I updated WSJT-X to version 2.3.0-rc3 and everything stopped working at that point.

By that I mean that I did as normal, and started JTAlert which, though the auto-start feature starts WSJT-X and DX Keeper, as it always has, but this time JTAlert appeared on the screen, and after about 3 seconds, JTAlert vanished off the screen.

I still had the WSJT-X window and waterfall and the JTAlert Decodes window which had opened on my desktop, but without any functionality of JTAlert.

I can shutdown WSJT-X and DX Keeper and the JTAlert Decodes window and try the start process again and again, always failing in the same manner.

Also the computer has been rebooted probably a dozen times during my attempts to get this fixed, including several shutdown, remove power from the computer, hold the power button to drain the capacitors, in other words, everything that I could think to do to remove residual bad information before the next attempt.

I checked Task Manager, and no listing for JTAlert. Only JTAlertV2Manager.exe was listed, and it was in the Background Processes area.

When JTAlert tries to start, the title line of JTAlert shows as follows

Then, for just a split second before it vanishes I get the following title bar:

If I am quick enough on the mouse, and can click on the Settings drop down menu, I can get the Manage Settings dialog to open. At this point the JTAlert window will be locked to my desktop until I close the Settings Window.

If I go, in the Settings Window to the Program Updates, it will say "Error downloading data"  for each of the 3 programs.

After closing the Settings Window, JTAlert vanishes.

I have a much longer description that I could have sent, but figured that I would start with something smaller to see if I could get a solution with less bandwidth.

As a point of information, my radio is on before I start WSJT-X, JTAlert and DX Keeper.

I have a Core i7 computer running at 3.2 GHz with 16 GB of RAM, and a solid state 100 GB drive with 12.5 GB of free space and my operating system is Windows 10 Pro, so I don't believe that it is for lack of horsepower that this is happening.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give me.

73 de WA3ZSC - Jerry

Tom Job

Just a thought….uninstall the rc-3 and go back to rc-2. There’s obviously some kind of bad interaction between it and JTAlert.  I would also send the same email to the WSJT-X group.  With beta software there are always bound to be problems.  The developer(s) would surely like your report.

73….GL

Tom VE3II

[...]

Avast logo

On 9/01/2021 7:27 am, gksmith_1 wrote:
[...]

Jerry,

The WSJT-X update to rc3 should have no effect.

If JTAlert is not presenting an error window, than it is unlikely it is closing due to a code failure, more likely it is being deliberately closed (killed). My guess is your Protection software (what do you use?) may be interfering. With the Decodes.exe and JTAlertV2.Manager.exe still running that indicates that JTAlert is being forcibly closed either due to error or by a 3rd party. Both will need to be killed off before trying to start JTAlert again.

A possibility is that WSJT-X is set to run as Administrator (for which there is no normal need) and your Protection software is killing JTAlert due to its interaction with an elevated process due to a permissions mismatch. Check the properties of the wsjtx.exe file to see if you have set it to run with elevated privileges (set to run as administrator), if it is turn that off.

Worth trying is disabling the auto-starting of WSJT-X by JTAlert and manually starting WSJT-X before starting JTAlert. If you can't get into the JTAlert Settings window before it closes to disable your auto-starts, you can disable the autostart operation by using the "/noautostarts" command line parameter (without the quotes) when starting JTAlert, you will need to create a copy of your JTAlert shortcut and add that parameter. eg.

Does JTAlert remain running if it is not auto-starting WSJT-X?

Let us know how you get on with this.

de Laurie VK3AMA

gksmith_1

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I neglected to mention however, that I have already tried that, in fact I uninstalled rc-3 and went back and installed version 2.2.2 of WSJT-X and also backed up to version 2.16.14 of JTAlert, to no avail.

Appreciate the suggestion to send it to the WSJT-X Forum as well,

I will do that.

Thanks,

73 de WA3ZSC - Jerry

gksmith_1

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 12:58 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
[...]

Hi Laurie,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I will try to answer your questions. If I miss something, remind me again to jog my memory.

1.Sometimes JTAlert will present an "Undeclared Variable" error, which I know from other posts that you have replied to is an impossibility, other times, no error message at all, it just vanishes.

2. I tried starting JTAlert without starting WSJT-X and it will sit there waiting for WSJT-X for at least 5 minutes, and does not crash, just patiently waits fore me to start WSJT-X.

3. I did check the Compatibility tab of the Properties of both WSJTX.exe and JTAlert.exe (both the EXE file in File Explorer, and the shortcut on my desktop) and none of them are set for "Run as Administrator"

4. My protection software is ESET Internet Security and I have tried to run WSJT-X and JTAlert with ESET disabled, at least as disabled as I am able to determine from its dashboard controls.

5. Yes, I have disabled the auto-start part of JTAlert and it does not make any difference.

6. I did try to manually start WSJT-X and waited until it had made a connection to my radio so that there was a CAT connection that worked, and this has always been the case.

As a point of interest, the inability of JTAlert to be able to check on program updates when it tries to start would kind of suggest to me that there is a permission problem between JTAlert and the communications (networking) part of my computer. I am sure that this is not the fault of your program, but at the same time it is not something that I would know how to check.

Just about the time that I filed the first request I tried to update my Meinberg software for time keeping and the computer refused to let me do that. So after some internet searching I found something that told me that something was corrupted in my user profile with permissions, so I changed my password for Windows 10 and restarted the computer, after which I was able to update the Meinberg software.  (Lots of computer reboots here again today)

But still, when trying to start JTAlert, I still get about 3 seconds of the JTAlert window, and then Poof, it vanishes.....

And another question, I have almost no experience with replying to the forum, so for this message I highlighted the previous message's text before pressing Reply. Is this the correct way to do it or am I missing something.  I have not found good instructions in this matter.

Thanks for all your help.

73 de WA3ZSC- Jerry

gksmith_1

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 01:58 PM, gksmith_1 wrote:
[...]

Hi again Laurie,

For what it is worth, here is the listing from the help file About JTAlert

JTAlert Instance      : #1
JTAlert Start Params  : /wsjtx
WSJT-X Window Title   : WSJT-X   v2.2.2   by K1JT, G4WJS, and K9AN
WSJT-X Command Line   : "C:\WSJT\wsjtx\bin\wsjtx.exe"
WSJT-X   --rig-name   :
WSJT-X Config File    : C:\Users\gksmi\AppData\Local\WSJT-X\WSJT-X.ini

UDP Ports used
JTAlert.exe           : 63575 64553
JTAlertV2.Manager.exe : 54301 54302
JTAlertV2.Decodes.exe :

JTAlertV2.Manager (2.16.14.0) status
(2021-01-09 00:52:08 utc)
NET Framework    : .NET Framework 4.8.4300.0
CLR Version      : 4.0.30319.42000
UDP Router       : Initialized : NO
Audio            : Initialized : NO
BandData         : Initialized : NO
Text Msgs        : Initialized : NO
HamSpots         : Initialized : NO
QRZ Xml          : Initialized : NO
HamQth Xml       : Initialized : NO
QRZ Log          : Initialized : NO
HamQth Log       : Initialized : NO
ClubLog Log      : Initialized : NO
Eqsl Log         : Initialized : NO
HrdLog Log       : Initialized : NO
DXLab DDE        : Initialized : NO
User Alert       : Initialized : NO
Updates Chk      : Initialized : NO
Maintenance      : Initialized : NO

And also, here is an error that popped up this time:

I know  that the error message is a mistake, probably by Windows, but maybe the About information will give you a hint.

Thanks again,

73 de WA3ZSC - Jerry

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 9/01/2021 12:05 pm, gksmith_1 wrote:

[...]

Still sounds to me like Protection software interference.

Not all Protection software behaves as you expect, often disabling the software simple turns off real-time scanning but other functions remain active despite the "turned off" setting. I believe (but I stand to be corrected) ESET behaves like this, not being able to be fully disabled, or requiring less-intuitive settings to be fully disabled. Perhaps there is someone in the group who is familiar with ESET and its operation

What do the logs of ESET say, is there any indication it is blocking JTAlert?

de Laurie VK3AMA

gksmith_1

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 01:21 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply.

I went through the ESET Internet Security as thoroughly as I could figure out how to and there was an area that said about blocked processes, but none of them was JTAlert or WSJT-X.

I went through the ESET program and turned things off, one by one until the dashboard of it said that all the protection was disabled, then I went into Windows Security and disabled Windows Defender in every way that I could.

Still JTAlert would just vanish from my screen....

It was at this point, after following what you had suggested, as well as having done all the other things that I had been able to try from previous posters on the forum, that I threw up my hands.  This was not going to be a problem that we could reasonably solve in this lifetime.

So, having said that, I set about to repair the only thing that had not yet been worked on...... the installation of Windows 10 itself..

So I started to do a "Reset" repair of the installation.   All my files, although backed up, were still where I had left them, the only task ahead of me was to reinstall all the software and see if things would work.

After installing the ESET Internet Security, I reinstalled WSJT-X ver 2.2.2,  JTAlert 2.16.14, and DXKeeper 15.9.6.

After going through the setup of each, they connected right up, everything works...  just have to get DXKeeper re-setup with eQSL and LOTW and I am back in business.

I have since upgraded both WSJT-X to ver 2.3.0-rc3 and JTAlert to 2.16.17 and everything is working just fine.

I have taken time to make a couple of contacts on FT8 and all is well.

So, it appears that there had developed a glitch in Windows 10, and the re-install seems to have fixed the problem.

Still lots of work to do, and a lot more software to reinstall,  but I am happy that JTAlert it is working again.

Sorry that I put you through all of this, but, in all honesty, I never gave it a thought that the problem was with the Windows 10 installation on my computer.

Many thanks for your wonderful program and all of your personal time you spend helping folks like me.

73 de WA3ZSC -  Jerry