Topics

QSO History has stopped working

RCURTIS60@...

I have lost the ability to have the QSO History display previous contacts.

Background:

I've been running a fairly old version of JTAlertX for quite some time (did not note the specific version, but I know it was several versions back.)  About a week ago I got the huge Windows 10 x64 July update.  All seemed to go well with that.  Next time I tried to use JTAlertX I noticed that I could not close it...I had to right-click it in tray and force close it.  That is what led me to start looking and then discover that I was several versions behind, so I installed 2.14.1.  At the same time I realized that I was a bit behind on WSJT-X, so I upgraded to 2.1.0 for that.

QSO History window still does not display anything.

More info:  This probably has no bearing on the issue...but who knows!  I had been using the full HRD suite and as such, needed QSORelay as the glue to get contacts logged.  A couple of months back I switched to the WIN4Yaesu suite (really nice!).  I disabled QSORelay since WSJTX now seems to log directly to the HRD logbook (I was getting double entries until I disabled QSORelay.)

Any ideas what I've screwed up?

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 11/08/2019 1:23 am:
[...]

OM,

Is the Decodes History status record count incrementing after each decode period?

Is there an active filter being applied ("Filtered" in the status window)?

What is the Database Version? Check via the "Help -> About" menu.

Please report back the answer to these questions.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Bill Snyder

Yes, I am facing the same problem, the QSO History window never updates. Closed everything out still no joy, checked for updates none. Checked settings can not see anything wrong with the setup, the QSO is being logged from what I can tell, it is just not updating the QSO History window. FT8 QSO History seems to be working fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, 73

Bill – K3ABE

On 14/08/2019 12:58 pm, Bill Snyder wrote:

Yes, I am facing the same problem, the QSO History window never updates. Closed everything out still no joy, checked for updates none. Checked settings can not see anything wrong with the setup, the QSO is being logged from what I can tell, it is just not updating the QSO History window. FT8 QSO History seems to be working fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, 73

Bill – K3ABE

Bill,

Since the original poster to this thread never bothered to reply and answer the questions I posted, I don't know if what your experiencing is the same.

Are you referring to the Decodes History or the Callsign QSO History?
What mode?
What logger are you using with JTAlert?
What version of JTAlert (don't say the latest, pse give the version number)?

de Laurie VK3AMA

Bill Snyder

[...]

Laurie thanks, I am referring to QSO History, Qso History seems to work fine in every mode except FT4. When using FT4 the QSO History window will show the call sign I am calling, but will never show the QSO worked. I am using WSJT-X V2.1.0 64 bit version, HRD Logbook 6.6.0.237 and JTAlert 2.14.2 . When an FT4 QSO is completed and logged, JTAlert will not show this callsign as worked B4, even though  get a successful prompt.

Not sure what is happening, thanks

de Bill - K3ABE

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 14/08/2019 6:44 pm, Bill Snyder wrote:

Laurie thanks, I am referring to QSO History, Qso History seems to work fine in every mode except FT4. When using FT4 the QSO History window will show the call sign I am calling, but will never show the QSO worked. I am using WSJT-X V2.1.0 64 bit version, HRD Logbook 6.6.0.237 and JTAlert 2.14.2 . When an FT4 QSO is completed and logged, JTAlert will not show this callsign as worked B4, even though  get a successful prompt.

Not sure what is happening, thanks

de Bill - K3ABE

Bill,

Thanks for the detail update.
I don't have HRD here so cannot test it. I note the original poster was also using HRD, so perhaps that is the problem. I know that HRD has had significant issues with FT4 logging & upload to Lotw with some very bad advice on how to workaround their logbook limitations with respect to the new adif specs for FT4 that made things worse.

For a callsign you know you have worked previously on FT4, check HRDLogbook for QSOs with that Callsign and examine the mode recorded, is it FT4 or MFSK?

In the interim, I will run some tests against the other loggers to determine if it is a JTAlert problem with the recent changes made to accommodate FT4.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Bill Snyder

[...]

I think I may have figured out my some of the problem of the QSO History not working. So, I generally use JTDX and JTAlert and HRD Logbook, the other day I thought  would install WSJT-X and make some FT4 contacts, never used FT4 mode. Well, as I begin to look at this problem I notice JTDX and WSJT-X use different .adi files, in different directory locations, so if you look at the file structure you find WSJT ADI file at c:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\WSJT-X\wsjtx_log.adi and the JTDX ADI file at c:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\JTDX\wsjtx_log.adi. So, as I sit here and try to figure out this problem it comes to me out of nowhere, how could the QSO History ever work using the WSJT-X program, this is the first run of this program, hhmmmm. So I went ahead and opened up the JTDX ADI file and copied it to the WSJT-X ADI file and yep the QSO History window begins to show some life! Of course it would never show any FT4 contacts, there aren’t any yet, yep no FT4 QSO History. The only puzzling issue I seem to have now is after an FT4 QSO the QSO History window never returns the word “Worked” . As far as FT4 is concerned, the QSO History window only shows the call sign that I am transmitting to, it almost seems like the program does not have permission to write to the file, no visible error. I went ahead made the WSJT-X and JTDX programs run with admin privilege, as far as I could tell it made no difference. Color coding for FT4 between WSJT-X and JTAlert does not seem to work either for me, after an FT4  QSO the color coding does not change either. Everything other mode seems to work properly but FT4, hhmmmmm.

I do receive an error when JTAlert pushes QSO info to HRD Logbook, but it still writes to the logbook, as an MSFK QSO, to answer your question, I then go into HRD Logbook and change MSFK to FT4 and upload to LoTW, remember TQSL must be updated for HRD Logbook to send FT4 into LoTW, otherwise you will receive a failure notice.

Not sure any of this will help, thanks for everything you do !!!!!

73,

Bill – K3ABE

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 15/08/2019 7:15 pm, Bill Snyder wrote:

[...]

  • JTAlert never uses the WSJT-X or JTDX adi log files, it doesn't read them or write to them.
  • The JTAlert Callsign QSO History is populated with data from a query run against the logger you have enabled in JTAlert, in your case HRDLogbook (assuming you still have it enabled)
  • If the HRD log is getting FT4 QSOs logged as MSFK that is the reason the QSO History never shows FT4 Band status for previous QSOs, it couldn't find any FT4 QSOs.
  • JTAlert colour coding is independent of WSJT-X color coding unless you make a conscious effort to make the colors match, but that cannot be 100% because of how WSJT-X sets its colors, JTAlert considers Band and Mode, while WSJT-X only considers Band.
  • If JTAlert is logging FT4 as MSFK, that can only happen if you have explicitly set JTAlert to log FT4 using the compliant adif "<MODE:4>MSFK<SUBMODE:3>FT4". HRD is not adif compliant with respect to FT4 and will log as MSFK. Turn that option off (Settings Window, Logging section, scroll down to the last checkbox).
  • If JTAlert is not performing the actual logging, but HRD is using the QSO ADIF broadcast direct from WSJT-X, MFSK will be logged for the same reasons as mentioned in the previous bullet point. WSJT-X is adif compliant while HRD is not with respect to FT4.

What was the actual error shown by JTAlert after it logs a QSO to HRDLogbook (post a screen-capture).

In order to get FT4 logging to HRD correctly and for JTAlert to properly show the QSO History, JTAlert should be used for logging, don't use the WSJT-X adif broadcast technique that HRD introduced a couple of versions back. With JTAlert doing the logging, the QSO will correctly be logged as FT4 allowing you to upload to LoTW without needing to edit the QSO first.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Bill Snyder

[...]

Laurie, thank you for the wonderful response, what a great email, yes I remember checking the box to log FT4 using the compliant adif "<MODE:4>MSFK<SUBMODE:3>FT4". I went in and unchecked and no more logging errors and QSO’s are now being logged as FT4’s. Therefore I will not be able to send a screen shot of the error. Unless you would like me to recheck the box and create the error and take a screenshot, let me know.

Thanks for the wonderful job you are doing, thumbs up!!!!!!!!!!

73,

Bill – K3ABE