locked On-Line Chat

Dwaine Pipe

‘Afternoon Laurie & Others

I am having a problem with the online chat.  I can receive messages, but it appears I cannot send them?

Have tried sending myself messages and although I appear online, I don’t get the message back.

Graphical user interface, application

Description automatically generated

Running JTAlert v2.50.5 & Windoze 10.

There used to be an option where you could test the servers from the config menu but I guess that was pulled with the new chat version and associated updates.

Any suggestions on where I could start looking?  Could it be a port issue within Windows Defender and if so, what port should I be checking?

Many thanks in advance

David

VK7YUM

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 15/08/2021 2:53 pm, Dwaine Pipe wrote:

I am having a problem with the online chat.  I can receive messages, but it appears I cannot send them?

Have tried sending myself messages and although I appear online, I don’t get the message back.

Graphical
            user interface, application

There used to be an option where you could test the servers from the config menu but I guess that was pulled with the new chat version and associated updates.

Any suggestions on where I could start looking?  Could it be a port issue within Windows Defender and if so, what port should I be checking?

Many thanks in advance

David

VK7YUM

You should see a return message within 2 or 3 seconds depending on the latency of your Internet service. Very likely the messages are not getting past your firewall, outgoing or incoming.

The Messaging services running on the HamSpots Server are working and have been since the last Server restart (~ 2 weeks ago).

JTAlert will pick a random port to use when sending a Message or checking for waiting messages. There are 4 TCP ports used for the Messaging service for the 2.50.x builds of JTAlert, 59603, 59604, 59613, 59614.

Just now tested. All working correctly.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Dwaine Pipe

Thanks Laurie

The strange thing is, is if someone sends me a message it appears, just nothing I send appears to be going out.  Off to check the ports are not being blocked.

Cheers

David

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> On Behalf Of HamApps Support (VK3AMA)
Sent: Tuesday, 17 August 2021 7:42 AM
To: Support@HamApps.groups.io
Subject: Re: [HamApps] On-Line Chat

On 15/08/2021 2:53 pm, Dwaine Pipe wrote:

Graphical
            user interface, application

Many thanks in advance

David

VK7YUM

You should see a return message within 2 or 3 seconds depending on the latency of your Internet service. Very likely the messages are not getting past your firewall, outgoing or incoming.

The Messaging services running on the HamSpots Server are working and have been since the last Server restart (~ 2 weeks ago).

JTAlert will pick a random port to use when sending a Message or checking for waiting messages. There are 4 TCP ports used for the Messaging service for the 2.50.x builds of JTAlert, 59603, 59604, 59613, 59614.

Just now tested. All working correctly.

de Laurie VK3AMA

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 17/08/2021 5:29 pm, Dwaine Pipe wrote:

The strange thing is, is if someone sends me a message it appears, just nothing I send appears to be going out.  Off to check the ports are not being blocked.

Cheers

David

If you're receiving you should be sending. Something is not right. I doubt it is a firewall/port issue as sending & receiving are essentially the same operation in terms of the executed code, they both go through the same IP & Port channel to the Server.

When you receive a message, that is your JTAlert going off to the Server and checking for any waiting messages, it is not the message being pushed to you. It acts a bit like email.

Who reliable is your Internet connection? Does it suffer from excessive lag & dropouts?

Please send me off-list your public IP address and I will go through the server logs and see if something is recorded there, perhaps a timeout being hit due to a slow connection.

de Laurie VK3AMA