locked Not ignoring /MM stations

Patrick St. Jean

I just worked RA0LQ/MM and got a LOTW confirmation overnight. As part of my normal routine, I rebuilt my alert databases. It credited me with Asiatic Russia on 17m thanks to that one. I went in and manually removed the country from the have list for 17m/FT8 and then rebuilt again. It got added back. This is my only 17m contact with an Asiatic Russia prefix, regardless of mode.

I'm running JTAlert 2.50.6 and ACLog 7.0.2.

Are there any further steps I can take to ensure that this doesn't keep happening, and so that I don't have to go in and remove that DXCC entity every time I rebuild the alerts?

Dave Garber

probably not the correct answer, but I stopped working them...  My first /mm was thrilling, until I never got a card, and then was told /MM have no dxcc value, unless they are docked.  is this case they are no longer /mm.   I found no solution, except to remove the country, and if you can, leave it blank, it should not be counted by jtalert, then   I think

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 2:24 PM Patrick St. Jean <stjeanp@...> wrote:
I just worked RA0LQ/MM and got a LOTW confirmation overnight. As part of my normal routine, I rebuilt my alert databases. It credited me with Asiatic Russia on 17m thanks to that one. I went in and manually removed the country from the have list for 17m/FT8 and then rebuilt again. It got added back. This is my only 17m contact with an Asiatic Russia prefix, regardless of mode.

I'm running JTAlert 2.50.6 and ACLog 7.0.2.

Are there any further steps I can take to ensure that this doesn't keep happening, and so that I don't have to go in and remove that DXCC entity every time I rebuild the alerts?

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 19/10/2021 12:34 am, Patrick St. Jean wrote:
I just worked RA0LQ/MM and got a LOTW confirmation overnight. As part of my normal routine, I rebuilt my alert databases. It credited me with Asiatic Russia on 17m thanks to that one. I went in and manually removed the country from the have list for 17m/FT8 and then rebuilt again. It got added back. This is my only 17m contact with an Asiatic Russia prefix, regardless of mode.

I'm running JTAlert 2.50.6 and ACLog 7.0.2.

Are there any further steps I can take to ensure that this doesn't keep happening, and so that I don't have to go in and remove that DXCC entity every time I rebuild the alerts?

Firstly do not perform both manual updating of your wanted dxccs and running the rebuild operation. The rebuild, which uses the content of your log, ignores any manual changes you have applied. Your log should be used to determine what is needed and not needed.

As for RA0LQ/MM, that is not valid for dxcc purposes. The confirmation you received from Lotw would not (or should not) have confirmed Asiatic Russia. All /MM callsigns are not valid for dxcc.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Patrick St. Jean

Thanks,

Unfortunately I can reproduce this. While it shouldn’t count, it does. I only have one Asiatic Russia confirmed, that being on 20m FT8. The /MM on 17m FT8 is giving me credit for Asiatic Russia. I was manually removing it to confirm that JTAlert is incorrectly giving me credit for a /MM confirmation.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Have a 17m FT8 confirmed contact with RA0LQ/MM in ACLog. That being the only confirmed contact with Asiatic Russia on that band, regardless of mode.

2. Rebuild alert database. You will get credit for it.

I'm attaching screenshots showing the following:

1. I do not have any contacts with Asiatic Russia on 17m in my log.

2. The contact with RA0LQ/MM, showing that it is confirmed, and that the country field is blank.

3. The rebuilt alert database showing credit for Asiatic Russia on 17m FT8.

Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong or if you would like more data.

Pat

On Oct 18, 2021, at 19:39, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Reisert AD1C

/MM grids can and do count for the CQ DX Field Award:

https://cq-amateur-radio.com/cq_awards/cq_dx_awards/cq_dx_field_award/cq_dx_field_award.html

Working /MM stations is the *only* way to get some of the fields that
are water-only.

F5MYK/MM does accept Club Log OQRS requests and I received some
confirmations from him recently.

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, https://www.ad1c.us

Dave Garber

maybe the ra0lq/mm was docked on land at the time, so it was accepted..  check his grid, and maybe email him to confirm

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 9:26 PM Patrick St. Jean <stjeanp@...> wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case this time. I’ve got a confirmed grid square in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. :)

Pat

On 19/10/2021 12:26 pm, Patrick St. Jean wrote:

[...]

Pat,

If ACLog is not showing a country in its log for RA0LQ/MM, than the JTAlert rebuild should not be crediting you with AS Russia for that callsign. Something is not right. I will need to check the JTAlert code and see if I can reproduce the problem.

Please send me via direct email (vk3ama.ham.apps [at] gmail.com) a zipped copy of your ACLog log file so I can examine it for potential clues as to the cause.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Joe Subich, W4TV

Check your confirmation on LotW *carefully*. It probably *DOES NOT*
specify "Asiatic Russia" but only confirms the grid. It is possible
for /MM stations to get certificates that specify no country in order
to provide grid confirmations.

If that's the case, your logging program has a significant bug!

73,

... Joe, W4TV

<vk3ama.ham.apps@gmail.com> <mailto:vk3ama.ham.apps@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Jim N6VH

On 10/18/2021 7:11 PM, Dave Garber wrote:
maybe the ra0lq/mm was docked on land at the time, so it was accepted..  check his grid, and maybe email him to confirm

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

Even it was docked, it doesn't count for DXCC under most circumstances. This is from the DXCC rules:

8.  All stations contacted must be "land stations." Contacts with ships and boats, anchored or underway, and airborne aircraft, cannot be counted.  Exception: Permanently docked exhibition ships, such as the Queen Mary and other historic ships will be considered land based.

73,

Jim N6VH

Patrick St. Jean

Yep, but it can count for other things, like CQ's DX area award, grid worked (VUCC comes to mind), ITU Zone, CQ Zone, etc.

I received a beta with a fix in it, and that cleaned up my alerts. Turns out a 15m /MM station had mistakenly given me credit for France as well. Thankfully there was an opening yesterday and now I have a real France confirmation. :)

Pat, K0OOK

On 10/21/21 12:26 PM, Jim N6VH wrote:

On 10/18/2021 7:11 PM, Dave Garber wrote:
maybe the ra0lq/mm was docked on land at the time, so it was accepted..  check his grid, and maybe email him to confirm

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

Even it was docked, it doesn't count for DXCC under most circumstances. This is from the DXCC rules:

8.  All stations contacted must be "land stations." Contacts with ships and boats, anchored or underway, and airborne aircraft, cannot be counted.  Exception: Permanently docked exhibition ships, such as the Queen Mary and other historic ships will be considered land based.

73,

Jim N6VH

--
Pat in Lewisville            '19 FLSB            '97 XLH 883 (Rocinante)
BS#140                       K0OOK                   EKIII rides with me

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 22/10/2021 4:26 am, Jim N6VH wrote:

Even it was docked, it doesn't count for DXCC under most circumstances. This is from the DXCC rules:

8.  All stations contacted must be "land stations." Contacts with ships and boats, anchored or underway, and airborne aircraft, cannot be counted.  Exception: Permanently docked exhibition ships, such as the Queen Mary and other historic ships will be considered land based.

73,

Jim N6VH

Tnx Jim,

That was my understanding, thanks for confirming.

For a long time now, JTAlert has never alerted the dxcc on /MM decodes and never logged a dxcc number.

With the next JTAlert release, any /MM log entries encountered during the alert database rebuild will be ignored for the dxcc rebuild.

On 22/10/2021 6:59 am, Patrick St. Jean wrote:
Yep, but it can count for other things, like CQ's DX area award, grid worked (VUCC comes to mind), ITU Zone, CQ Zone, etc.

I received a beta with a fix in it, and that cleaned up my alerts. Turns out a 15m /MM station had mistakenly given me credit for France as well. Thankfully there was an opening yesterday and now I have a real France confirmation. :)

Pat, K0OOK

Only dxcc numbers are ignored for /MM log enties encountered during the alert database rebuild. Other location data, like grids and zones will still be considered for the relevant Alert type. Though I would question if zones recorded are accurate, but that is up to the end user to manage whenevr they log a /MM station.

de Laurie VK3AMA