locked New JTAlert 2.50 Release

Chip Harleman

Been navigating my way around the new release and report no issues running  for extended hours over the last several days.  Just one enhancement request I would use regularly is a "JTDX reply" like the "WSJTX reply" for not needing to use the JTDX "decoded text window" to select a callsign.  Liked that feature while using WSJTX but switched to JTDX.  FT8 would not be as enjoyable without the use of JTAlert.

Thomas, W6TWH

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 16/04/2021 9:07 am, Chip Harleman wrote:
Been navigating my way around the new release and report no issues running  for extended hours over the last several days.  Just one enhancement request I would use regularly is a "JTDX reply" like the "WSJTX reply" for not needing to use the JTDX "decoded text window" to select a callsign.  Liked that feature while using WSJTX but switched to JTDX.  FT8 would not be as enjoyable without the use of JTAlert.

Thomas, W6TWH

What do you mean by "JTDX reply"? Are you referring to JTDX responding to a Callsign click in JTAlert? That is supported. But, the JTDX people in their wisdom changed the single checkbox setting used by WSJT-X and replaced it with multiple check-boxes in different locations, some under the menu system and others in its Settings window.

And before you ask, decode coloring of JTDX decodes by JTAlert does not work like with WSJT-X. That functionality was stripped by the JTDX coders. Why, I don't know.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Stephen Mitchell

I have a question.  When I run JT-Alert, I see two instances of it running in the Taskbar...

Inline image

When I hover over the first one it shows this..

Inline image

But clicking on it brings up WSJT-X and JT-Alert while clicking on the second one only brings up JT-Alert.  Is this expected behavior?  Also, before the update, there would be a notification at the top of the JT-Alert application letting us know if there were any updates...will there still be notifications for this in the new JT-Alert?  How does one access all the different settings and configuration items that used to be under Settings at the top of the old JT-Alert?

I apologize if this has been covered already.

K7CB

On 16/04/2021 9:19 am, Stephen Mitchell via groups.io wrote:
I have a question.  When I run JT-Alert, I see two instances of it running in the Taskbar...

When I hover over the first one it shows this..

But clicking on it brings up WSJT-X and JT-Alert while clicking on the second one only brings up JT-Alert.  Is this expected behavior?  Also, before the update, there would be a notification at the top of the JT-Alert application letting us know if there were any updates...will there still be notifications for this in the new JT-Alert?  How does one access all the different settings and configuration items that used to be under Settings at the top of the old JT-Alert?

I apologize if this has been covered already.

K7CB

I have 4 entries in my taskbar. Those additional entries are for the new 2.50.0 windows, like Callsigns, Messaging, Activity & Band Heat.

You can turn off the appearance of these windows in the taskbar via their Options popup (click the gear icon) for the windows you want to not-show. If you do choose to hide the  taskbar view, I suggest enabling the "Follow JTAlert window" setting, by doing this if you loose the window behind another, not uncommon for single-screen setups, you can bring the window into view by simply clicking the main JTAlert window bringing it into view.

As for the menus of the old JTAlert window, they are still there. They will slowly get removed as more features move over to the new .NET code-base introduced with 2.50.0

The Updates message will still appear in the titlebar of the main JTAlert window for the foreseeable future. The main (old) JTAlert window is not optional, it is the JTAlert program, behind that window is all the Alerting logic and logging code.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Stephen Mitchell

What I can't figure out is how to bring up the Band Activity and Band Heat windows.  I reviewed the Help section but can't figure out how to make those windows display.

On Thursday, April 15, 2021, 4:43:35 PM MST, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:

[...]

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 16/04/2021 10:15 am, Stephen Mitchell via groups.io wrote:
What I can't figure out is how to bring up the Band Activity and Band Heat windows.  I reviewed the Help section but can't figure out how to make those windows display.

The release notes had all the hotkey assignments for opening the different windows. Also, you can go old-school and use the View menu of the main JTAlert window. Look for the "stared" menu entries.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Stephen Mitchell

I don't see that on my PC and that's what I'm trying to get to.

On Thursday, April 15, 2021, 5:23:27 PM MST, Laurie, VK3AMA <hamapps.support@...> wrote:

On 16/04/2021 10:15 am, Stephen Mitchell via groups.io wrote:
What I can't figure out is how to bring up the Band Activity and Band Heat windows.  I reviewed the Help section but can't figure out how to make those windows display.

The release notes had all the hotkey assignments for opening the different windows. Also, you can go old-school and use the View menu of the main JTAlert window. Look for the "stared" menu entries.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Stephen Mitchell

Disregard my last...I found it.  Somehow that "bar" ended up at the bottom of my desktop and was "hiding" behind the taskbar.

On 16/04/2021 10:27 am, Stephen Mitchell via groups.io wrote:
I don't see that on my PC and that's what I'm trying to get to.

The View menu is on the main JTAlert window, NOT the Callsigns window.

I neglected to describe where in JTDX to find the settings which control the Callsign Click from JTAlert behaviour.

Main JTAlert window, "Misc -> Accept UDP Reply Messages" menu.
JTDX Settings window, "Accept UDP Requests" checkbox on the "Reporting" tab.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Stephen Mitchell

I appreciate the assistance.  It got "docked" to the bottom of WSJT-X, which I usually run at the lower half of my display - so it put the "window" with the Alerts, Settings, View, etc behind the taskbar where I couldn't see it.  I've undocked it and moved it to the top of my display where it used to be.  So far I'm liking the look.

On 16/04/2021 10:37 am, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
Main JTAlert window, "Misc -> Accept UDP Reply Messages" menu.
JTDX Settings window, "Accept UDP Requests" checkbox on the "Reporting" tab.

Correction

JTDX Main window, "Misc -> Accept UDP Reply Messages" menu.
JTDX Settings window, "Accept UDP Requests" checkbox on the "Reporting" tab.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Chip Harleman

Thanks for your reply.  I would hope the JTDX team would provide you in kind support to enhance their great application with JTAlert as it's a must have to enhance the digital experience ... IMHO.

Thomas, W6TWH

Chip Harleman

I forgot to mention thanks for the JTDX settings to enable the double click in your call sign window.

Cheers, Thomas  W6TWH