New Install #TIP - CORRECTED #TIP

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 13/10/2021 5:02 am, k9bo via groups.io wrote:
Tried to install the latest version of JT-Alert and couldn't get it to recognize my fresh installation of .NET  After circling the drain for several hours I came to the conclusion that the problem is that if one goes to Microsoft to install it you get the newest version 5.0.11 not 5.0.0.  The 5.0.11 is not recognized by JT-Alert.  Solved the problem by going deeper on the Microsoft download site to old versions and got .NET 5.0.0 and all is now working.  Not sure how difficult it would be to fix this on JT-Alert, but in the meantime, perhaps a warning or tip on the JT-Alert  might be in order.  Love the new version, great job

Bill, K9BO

Sorry Bill, you're incorrect. JTAlert works fine with the .NET 5.0.11 Desktop Runtime. There is no specific version required by JTAlert except that is 5.0.0 or later.

I have the 5.0.11 Desktop Runtime on all my PCs, JTAlert installed on the Ham dedicated PC and the JTAlert development PC both behave correctly with the latest .NET 5.0.11 Desktop Runtime.

Your issue with the new install of JTAlert not recognizing your .NET install would be due to installing the non-desktop version (the console version). You have to install the Desktop Runtime. JTAlert is a Desktop app, not a Console app, it requires the Desktop Runtime

5.0.11 is a security update so Windows will be automatically installing it for as part of its automated updates process.

de Laurie VK3AMA

k9bo@...

Laurie, my bad as I spent over 3 hours trying to get the new version to run properly.  At age 78 three hours of wasted time are getting close to being a great loss.  I simply thought that following the “click here” buttons on the links you provided and downloaded what Microsoft gave me.  I do pretty well with the hardware end of things but I don’t have to get very far under the bonnet to get lost pretty quickly.  The main reason for my post was to warn others of what can be an issue. I agree with your comments relative to the Console vs. the Desktop version.  I was thinking that for the rest of my unwashed brethren out there some kind of caution or admonishment might be in order as one starts to follow the link over to Microsoft.  By the way in playing with the new version it truly was worth the three hours...

Thanks for listening to this old goat who is still into valves, tubes and high SWRs.

73,

Bill, K9BO