Topics

New install on laptop won't run

Phil Zminda

 I just started using a new HP Windows 10 laptop with I5 processor, 256 Gb SSD and 8 Gb memory. When I try to start JT Alert 2.14.13, I get a message "Insufficient resources to complete this service". If I try again a couple times it appears to have disappeared from the Apps. I had no problems running JT Alert on an older Windows 10 laptop or a Dell desktop. I have not seen this with any other software. What could be going wrong?

Thanks,

Phil N3ZP

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 9/09/2019 10:30 pm, Phil Zminda wrote:
 I just started using a new HP Windows 10 laptop with I5 processor, 256 Gb SSD and 8 Gb memory. When I try to start JT Alert 2.14.13, I get a message "Insufficient resources to complete this service". If I try again a couple times it appears to have disappeared from the Apps. I had no problems running JT Alert on an older Windows 10 laptop or a Dell desktop. I have not seen this with any other software. What could be going wrong?

Thanks,

Phil N3ZP

Phil,

On a new Windows install with your laptop specs, it wont be a lack of resources to run JTAlert. That message is a generic catch-all message from Windows that embraces a number of error conditions.

The disappearance of the JTAlert application suggests that it is your virus/malware protection that is the root cause.

If your using Windows Defender and still running the default settings that come with a new Window install, check the "Controlled folder access" setting, under the "Ransomware protection" section. This has been know to cause problems for many Ham applications, not just JTAlert.

Let us know how you get on.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Phil Zminda

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for getting back to me. Windows Defender does seem to be the problem. I have tried various settings under "Controlled Folder Access" but nothing seems to resolve the problem. Windows Defender is deleting the JTAleret.exe file. This is with the Folder as a protected folder and JTAlert as protected app.

The laptop does have McAfee Antivirus also but not using it yet. Does McAfee have settings that might allow running JTAlert?

Thanks,

Phil N3ZP

Michael Black

Just google "McAfee exclusions"

If I were you I'd uninstall McAfee....they give it to you for free so you can pay later.

Defender and Malwarebytes(free) will do you fine....and don't click on weblinks that you don't recognize and expect...that's where 90+% of infections come from.

de Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 07:15:32 AM CDT, Phil Zminda <phil-z@...> wrote:

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for getting back to me. Windows Defender does seem to be the problem. I have tried various settings under "Controlled Folder Access" but nothing seems to resolve the problem. Windows Defender is deleting the JTAleret.exe file. This is with the Folder as a protected folder and JTAlert as protected app.

The laptop does have McAfee Antivirus also but not using it yet. Does McAfee have settings that might allow running JTAlert?

Thanks,

Phil N3ZP

John Petrocelli

Just adding my 2 cents ....

Yes infections are the problem.

I one is running Windows and using the Chrome browser my 2 favorite "Extensions" for Chrome are:
     AddBlockPlus
          &
     ScriptSafe

With ScriptSafe you need to "train" it to permit scrips on each page that you frequently visit.  "Training" is simple and easy and it can help with avoiding infections from scripts.

Thanks for letting me add my 2 cents.
John R. Petrocelli - WA2HIP
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
Primary Home Page:
   http://wa2hip.com
On 9/11/2019 12:36 PM, Michael Black via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

I will probably uninstall McAfee. I do use Malware Bytes. I still need to figure out how to get Windows Defender to allow JTAlert.

Phil N3ZP

Michael Black

Virus & Threat protection
Virus & Threat protection settings -- Manage settings
Scroll down to "Exclusions" and "Add or remove exclusions"
Add the directories for all you ham related programs include directories under %LOCALAPPDATA% or %APPDATA% or elsewhere

de Mike W9MDB