locked New Install #TIP

k9bo@...

Tried to install the latest version of JT-Alert and couldn't get it to recognize my fresh installation of .NET  After circling the drain for several hours I came to the conclusion that the problem is that if one goes to Microsoft to install it you get the newest version 5.0.11 not 5.0.0.  The 5.0.11 is not recognized by JT-Alert.  Solved the problem by going deeper on the Microsoft download site to old versions and got .NET 5.0.0 and all is now working.  Not sure how difficult it would be to fix this on JT-Alert, but in the meantime, perhaps a warning or tip on the JT-Alert  might be in order.  Love the new version, great job

Bill, K9BO

AB8WD-Willie

No problem here running .11 it saw it and moved on

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-10-12 2:02 PM, k9bo via groups.io wrote:
After circling the drain for several hours I came to the conclusion that the problem is that if one goes to Microsoft to install it you
get the newest version 5.0.11 not 5.0.0. The 5.0.11 is not recognized
by JT-Alert.
More likely you downloaded the wrong version of dotNET 5.0.11. The
Microsoft web site is confusing - you *MUST* download the dotNET
*DESKTOP* Runtime 5.0.11 and not dotNET Runtime 5.0.11.

From the Microsoft website:

The .NET Runtime contains just the components needed to run a
*console* app. Typically, you'd also install either the ASP.NET
Core Runtime or .NET Desktop Runtime.
Here is what Microsoft says about the *DESKTOP* Runtime:

The .NET Desktop Runtime enables you to run existing Windows desktop
applications. *THIS RELEASE INCLUDES THE .NET RUNTIME; YOU DON'T*
*NEED TO INSTALL IT SEPARATELY.*
In other words, dotNET (console) Runtime 5.0.11 lacks certain components
that JTAlert requires in order to operate.

I have downloaded and installed the dotNET *DESKTOP* Runtime 5.0.11 and
JTAlert works properly with the correct version of the Runtime.

73,

... Joe, W4TV