Topics

MYSQL Connection Error: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

JTAlert 2.15.10
MySQL 8 (8.0.19 64 bit) on Win 10
Log4OM V2 (2.3.0.0)
WSJT-X v2.1.2

In Setting, i choose log4omV2 for logging with MySQL, the UDP setup and control port are fine, because QSOs are getting logged correctly in log4om v2

However i enter the credentials for MySQL (double and triple checked), and on hitting Test Connection I always get the following error

Test MySQL Server Connection : FAIL
ERROR : Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

At the end of a QSO whilst logging it gives me  the QSO Log Failed dialog with:
LOG4OM V2 MySQL Unable to confirm QSO logged

Obviously because it is unable to connect to MySql.

Happy to help track this down.

73 de k1jbd
bammi

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 14/02/2020 5:34 pm, Jbammi via Groups.Io wrote:
JTAlert 2.15.10
MySQL 8 (8.0.19 64 bit) on Win 10
Log4OM V2 (2.3.0.0)
WSJT-X v2.1.2

In Setting, i choose log4omV2 for logging with MySQL, the UDP setup and control port are fine, because QSOs are getting logged correctly in log4om v2

However i enter the credentials for MySQL (double and triple checked), and on hitting Test Connection I always get the following error

Test MySQL Server Connection : FAIL
ERROR : Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

At the end of a QSO whilst logging it gives me  the QSO Log Failed dialog with:
LOG4OM V2 MySQL Unable to confirm QSO logged

Obviously because it is unable to connect to MySql.

Happy to help track this down.

73 de k1jbd
bammi

Bammi,

In all honesty, I didn't test the JTAlert Log4OMV2 MySQL code against an SSL enabled MySQL server (I need to set one up).

The problem may be in the MySQL code library being used by JTAlert, the connection string used, or the libmysql.dll client file.

I did upgrade the libmysql.dll file (v6.1.10) as part of the Log4OM2 support in JTAlert but that caused problems for JTAlert uses with out-dated or broken VC runtime libraries so I downgraded to the much older file (v5.1.37) used by JTAlert for many years. It may be simply that the libmysql.dll file doesn't support SSL connections.

I have sent you a direct email with a link to a more recent libmysql.dll file. Try replacing the file installed by JTAlert with the new file and let me know if that works (I am not hopeful however).

You may need the SSL libraries.  Install the Win32 Lite package from here (not the Win64 which is for 64-bit executables).

On Friday, February 14, 2020, 02:36:00 AM CST, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:

[...]

de Laurie VK3AMA

chas cartmel

Mike,

On a totally separate issue outside of amateur radio I am also getting this error message (or similar). I will try your solution when I get back to my application.

73 Charlie

G4EST

www.g4est.me.uk

You may need the SSL libraries.  Install the Win32 Lite package from here (not the Win64 which is for 64-bit executables).

de MIke W9MDB

Win32/Win64 OpenSSL Installer for Windows - Shining Light Productions

[...]

For more info visit www.bullguard.com

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 15/02/2020 12:27 am, Michael Black via Groups.Io wrote:
You may need the SSL libraries.  Install the Win32 Lite package from here (not the Win64 which is for 64-bit executables).

de MIke W9MDB

Mike,

Thanks, but no cigar.

The problem is not with SSL libraries.
The problem is with the new Client authentication method introduced with MySQL 8.0.

The JTAlertV2 MySQL support uses a library that wraps the libmysql.dll client file.
Both the library and the dll are old and do not support the new authentication method of MySQL 8.0.
At this time, I have been unable to locate a new library (I don't expect I will).

I was able to workaround this by enabling Legacy Authentication on the server.

I understand this may not be an option for some MySQL Server users, but it is the only fix at this time.

BTW, this change broke many MySQL client applications when first released, including at one time, the official MySQL workbench app.

FWIW, JTAlertV3 will not have this problem as it uses the official Oracle .NET MySQL connector.

de Laurie VK3AMA