locked Multiple operator using separate Windows user login - problems

Rory Davis, N7CR

Edited

Has anyone had luck with setting up a separate Windows user account for a 2nd operator? The XYL really wants to get active on FT8 but I'm having trouble making it all work together.

Using Win4YaesuSuite, Log4OM2 with Omni-Rig, W WSJT-X and JTAlert.

The setup still works with my Windows user account.

The first account all these apps are shut down and logged out of the account before attempting the second account.

In the second account, the sound devices do not appear in the Sound ON |  Sound Output Device > dropdown list. Nor does JTAlert appear in the Windows Volume Mixer.  Under the Manage Settings window, both the rig sound device and the speakers are available as options, so the Speakers selection is set in the Settings window.

It appears that JTAlert is not communicating with WSJT-X either, though the settings are the same for both user accounts.

Also JTAlert and WSJT-X are not communicating with Log4OM2 but omni-rig is working OK.

Is there another/better way to add a second operator with the above combination of software?

Michael Black

Hi Rory,

If you're around tomorrow perhaps we can link up and take a look.

I've set up a 2nd account like that before.

What's a good time to call you and what's your #?  I'm usually available after 0800 Central time.

Mike W9MDB

On Friday, June 18, 2021, 06:39:45 PM CDT, Rory Davis, N7CR <n7cr@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

Hi Michael,

I'd be interested in knowing if you got this to work with JTAlert 2.50.X because I have 3 PCs that I can not get version 2.50.X to work the JTAlert.manager.exe won't stay running looks like it tries to start but stops/crashes then does this repeatedly. 2.16.17 works fine for me with multiple Windows Accounts. I've spoken to Laurie about the problems I'm he told me to send him the diagnostics from the affected account, which I did, then he told me that majority of the diagnostic files were not sent & that I have JTAlert install problem. I find it hard to believe that 3 different PCs all have the exactly the same problem. I have 2 videos, had to split due to Youtube restraints, that shows exactly what is happening with these 3 PCs located at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URnIFyZKrD4 & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np72JDDcj4Q. Not mention that with JTAlert 2.50.X experiencing the same issues that Rory is speaking of.

73,
Todd (N3PKJ)

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 19/06/2021 8:42 am, Rory Davis, N7CR wrote:

[...]

FYI, There is a newly discovered design flaw in JTAlert 2.50.x that prevents correct operation from an alternate WIndows user account. This has bee corrected for the next release.

Its a design flaw in the unique (single) instance detection for the Manager process.

Until the release, the only option is to run JTAlert from the same Windows user account (the working account) and set the "/callsign=XYL" command line parameter for a JTAlert shortcut.

On 19/06/2021 11:24 pm, Todd (N3PKJ) wrote:
[...]

You can also run JTAlert as Administrator and it works on multiple accounts.

Mike W9MDB

On Saturday, June 19, 2021, 05:14:11 PM CDT, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:

[...]

de Laurie VK3AMA

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 20/06/2021 8:15 am, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
You can also run JTAlert as Administrator and it works on multiple accounts.

Yes, but I NEVER recommend elevating JTAlert as a permanent fix. It is common for users who go down this path having to then elevate other applications either to get them to work with JTAlert or WSJT-X or in some cases just elevate every application on their system just to be safe!

I do hope that any users you have helped in this way that you return to them at a later date, when JTAlert has been updated, to ensure they are no longer running elevated.

Elevating JTAlert or any other normal application should only be done for testing IMO, NOT to be used as the normal method of operation as is the need for some badly designed Ham software I have encountered .

FWIW, the running as Administrator is overriding the security permissions applied to the lock file used by the Manager process to enforce its single instance (per JTAlert instance) operation.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 20/06/2021 8:15 am, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
You can also run JTAlert as Administrator and it works on multiple accounts.

Mike W9MDB
A BETTER option and much safer than elevated applications is to simply start JTAlert from a suitable shortcut with a callsign override in the startup parameters. This would need to be done under the Windows login for which JTAlert is running correctly.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Rory Davis, N7CR

Thanks for the feedback Laurie.  Mike W9MDB helped me offline and he got us up and running. He also cleared up some issues with LOTW, Log4OM and WSJT-X as well. The XYL is so happy and she's blasting away on 17M as we speak.  A great big THANKS, Mike!

Now it looks like I'll have to fight her over the rig... :D

73/Rory N7CR and Harolyn KE6SVR

Robert Lorenzini

Mike is a great resource for the community.

Bob - wd6dod