Topics

locked MD or DC

WB8ASI Herb

Not a big deal, but I decided to chase DC in addition to the 50 states.  Just got an alarm on CCUser that N2NWK is on 80m FT8 from DC.  I am copying his on JTAlert shows as MD thus no alert there.  His QRZ page says DC.  I think DC is kinda part of MD....just wondering where the data comes from?  Low priority with all you have going.  Thanks 73, Herb WB8ASI

WB8ASI Herb

P.S.  He lost me in the QRM, but I logged him temporarily to see what QTH would show, and Log4OMv2 has him as DC.

Michael Black

From the Help...

Inline image

On Thursday, November 26, 2020, 09:14:58 PM CST, WB8ASI Herb <wb8asi@...> wrote:

Not a big deal, but I decided to chase DC in addition to the 50 states.  Just got an alarm on CCUser that N2NWK is on 80m FT8 from DC.  I am copying his on JTAlert shows as MD thus no alert there.  His QRZ page says DC.  I think DC is kinda part of MD....just wondering where the data comes from?  Low priority with all you have going.  Thanks 73, Herb WB8ASI

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 27/11/2020 2:14 pm, WB8ASI Herb wrote:
Not a big deal, but I decided to chase DC in addition to the 50 states.  Just got an alarm on CCUser that N2NWK is on 80m FT8 from DC.  I am copying his on JTAlert shows as MD thus no alert there.  His QRZ page says DC.  I think DC is kinda part of MD....just wondering where the data comes from?  Low priority with all you have going.  Thanks 73, Herb WB8ASI

Herb,

Thanks for the report. It has identified a defect within the Callsigns database. He should be DC but was mapped to MD (as are all other DC callsigns). The mapping of DC to MD should not be happening in the database, but within JTAlert where there is a setting available per the users requirements. It looks like I ran an old version of the database maintenance code that has this mapping hard-coded. Sorry about that. I will get a new database built and published tomorrow sometime.

Regarding N2NWK, I see he is using JTAlert and is currently being flagged as online for Text Message receipt. Perhaps send him a message to see if you got logged or to arrange a sked on a more suitable band.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Joe Subich, W4TV

DC *SHOULD NEVER BE LOGGED AS "STATE=DC". The District of Columbia
*IS NOT A STATE* - it is a Territory ("Federal District"). District
of Columbia is part of Maryland for WAS (ARRL) and count as one of
the three adjacent counties in Maryland for USACA.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2020-11-26 10:14 PM, WB8ASI Herb wrote:
Not a big deal, but I decided to chase DC in addition to the 50 states. Just got an alarm on CCUser that N2NWK is on 80m FT8 from DC.  I am copying his on JTAlert shows as MD thus no alert there.  His QRZ page says DC.  I think DC is kinda part of MD....just wondering where the data comes from?  Low priority with all you have going.  Thanks 73, Herb WB8ASI

Jim N6VH

[...]

Laurie,

In the case of N2NWK, the address listed on QRZ is a PO Box. It is possible that he lives in MD, but has a PO Box in DC. Since the address on QRZ comes from the FCC, it would only list the address he gave to the FCC. In the USA, it is only necessary to give the FCC a mailing address where you can be contacted. It doesn't have to be the address you are operating from. He was on FT4 this morning, sending his grid as FM19, which would put him in MD. DC is in FM18, according to this site:

https://www.levinecentral.com/ham/grid_square.php

73,

Jim N6VH

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

Please keep in mind, the JTAlert "US State Alert" is NOT the "ARRL WAS Alert". It is a generic Alert not tied to any specific Award requirements, as are all the other Alerts (except the Marathon Alert).

Many users in the past requested separate alerting for DC. The default behavior is to automatically consider "DC" as "MD" so if a user wants "DC" alerting they need to make a conscious decision to turn off that setting. This is not a case of JTAlert forcing "DC" onto users, the user decides they want the "DC" alerting behavior.

"DC" is considered as separate from "MD" for some Awards (eg. EQSL), several Contests, different Loggers and even the QRZ XML data. The current "US State Alert" implementation is usable for those users chasing down "DC" contacts. If the Alert was exclusively geared to the "ARRL WAS Award" this would not be possible.

Perhaps I should remove the "US State
Alert" and replace it with a "US Subdivision Alert". Will that make the Purists happy?

I previously discussed this in this posting, reproduced below.

I'll change the name of the Alert from "Wanted US State" to " Wanted US Primary Administrative Subdivision" in line with the ADIF standard, which BTW lists "DC" as one of the valid values in the STATE enumeration. Will that make the complainers happy?

Instead of the "x or 51 States wanted" status, I could change it to "x of 51 subdivisions wanted"

If not "
Wanted US Primary Administrative Subdivision" perhaps "Wanted US PAS" for short.

FWIW, I know DC is technically not a State, but if people are going to "loose their shit" over something as trivial as this, perhaps they should also target eQSL where DC is valid for their 51 State award ,or all the different Loggers that record "DC" rather than "MD" in the State field (I have seen enough logs to know this is not uncommon), or QRZ,com where there XML data allows for "DC" as a State, perhaps they need to change as well, then I wouldn't have to have code in the XML parser to map DC to MD.  While your at it complain to the different Contest organizers that count DC and MD as 2 separate entities.

FWIW, hear in VK we have several States and 2 Territories (not officially constituted States). They are all referred to a "States" by most Government agencies, the Postal Service refers to them all as States without the type of complaint that I have seen by the "DC" versus "MD" crowd.
Perhaps I should produce 2 builds of JTAlert, one for the US and one for the rest of the World.

On 28/11/2020 12:35 am, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
DC *SHOULD NEVER BE LOGGED AS "STATE=DC"

I disagree!

Most Loggers follow the ADIF specs. "DC" is included in the Primary Subdivision enumeration of the ADIF specs. The Primary Subdivision gets recorded in the ADIf <STATE> field.

From the specs...

Recording "DC" in the "State" field is correct. Recording "MD" for a Station operating from "DC" would be incorrect.

The <STATE> field is NOT for US States only, its serves many Countries allowing for recording of their "Primary Administrative Subdivision". It is a universal field, not a US only field. If it were US only then recording of States only (no DC) would be appropriate.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Jim N6VH

[...]

There is something I should have mentioned in my previous e-mail. N2NWK uses APRS, and has an APRS DigiGate in Baltimore, MD. Shortly after he stopped operating FT-4 today, his vehicle had left from that location. Therefore, I think it is very possible that he operates (and probably lives) in MD, but has a mailing address in DC, as I said in my previous e-mail.

73,

Jim N6VH

Ron W3RJW

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 01:00 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
Perhaps I should remove the "US State Alert" and replace it with a "US Subdivision Alert". Will that make the Purists happy?
It's not a matter of being a purist.  The USA has 50 states.  DC or District of Columbia is not one of them..  IT is not a state.  DC was carved out of mostly MD and a small chunk of VA many decades ago.  It is a federal district containing the city of Washington.

In the old days of contests, before grid squares, we had ARRL sections.  it was MD-DC section.

I thought we put this to bed about a year ago..

Ron, W3RJW

WB8ASI Herb

Yikes.  Sorry Laurie.  I got WAS.  Was just looking for something else to chase, and DC seemed appropriate.  Just saw that some lookups showed MD rather than DC.  Thus everyone, it's a software search question, rather than a political one.  Good DX All.  Back to CQ WW CW Contest.....73, Herb WB8ASI

Carl - WC4H

I agree with Joe and Ron.

DC is not a state and is not considered as such by anyone.
If one wants to keep track of stations worked in DC, many logging programs can do this with a search or a script.  I know that DXKeeper can do it with a script.

The fact that ADIF may use the same field for DC as it does for states, does not confer statehood unto DC.

If eQSL uses it for some award, certainly is not for WAS unless it is for MD.  Working DC counts as MD for WAS.  I don't know what eQSL award (other than using it for MD for WAS) would accept DC as some entity.  Well, I suppose if they have one for country capitals it could be.

73.
Carl - WC4H

Larry Banks

Many contests treat DC as a multiplier.  It must be kept separate.  And in the future it might be a state, along with PR.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 2020 1:17
Subject: Re: [HamApps] MD or DC

I agree with Joe and Ron.

DC is not a state and is not considered as such by anyone.
If one wants to keep track of stations worked in DC, many logging programs can do this with a search or a script.  I know that DXKeeper can do it with a script.

The fact that ADIF may use the same field for DC as it does for states, does not confer statehood unto DC.

If eQSL uses it for some award, certainly is not for WAS unless it is for MD.  Working DC counts as MD for WAS.  I don't know what eQSL award (other than using it for MD for WAS) would accept DC as some entity.  Well, I suppose if they have one for country capitals it could be.

73.
Carl - WC4H

Rob Kivell

Just having my cup of coffee trying to figure out what all the fuss is about. I was born in DC and enjoy having the ability to track and seek contacts from the District. That is MY choice. If you want to track it as part of MD  VA or even PA that is YOUR choice. Those of you that might disagree with me. I would suggest you develop your own program. Thank you. Laurie for enhancing my enjoyment of Ham radio

Rob kk4eun

Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 2020 1:17

I agree with Joe and Ron.

DC is not a state and is not considered as such by anyone.
If one wants to keep track of stations worked in DC, many logging programs can do this with a search or a script.  I know that DXKeeper can do it with a script.

The fact that ADIF may use the same field for DC as it does for states, does not confer statehood unto DC.

If eQSL uses it for some award, certainly is not for WAS unless it is for MD.  Working DC counts as MD for WAS.  I don't know what eQSL award (other than using it for MD for WAS) would accept DC as some entity.  Well, I suppose if they have one for country capitals it could be.

73.
Carl - WC4H

neil_zampella

Time to close this topic.

Herschel Hall

I agree people need to get a life, it’s a hobby & The developers are volunteers & I am thankful for them for a great  program.
Herschel
WA9KIA

On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 7:28 AM neil_zampella <neilz@...> wrote:
Time to close this topic.

WB8ASI Herb

I started this thread, but it has veered off topic.  The orginal issue was with the Alert.  QRZ was showing a station as DC.  Log4OM was logging it as DC.  JTAlert was showing it as MD, and thus no DC alert.  Laurie is aware, and knows the cure.  73, Herb WB8ASI