Topics

LOTW data is often wrong

Torsten - DL9GTB

Hi,

unfortunately for a long time I have had to find out again and again that the LOTW data is often incorrect or not up-to-date. How can I improve this?

73 de Torsten - DL9GTB

Michael Black

You're going to have to give some examples of what's "wrong".

LOTW doesn't use many fields.

Mike W9MDB

On Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 11:17:39 AM CST, Torsten - DL9GTB <torsten-ernst@...> wrote:

Hi,

unfortunately for a long time I have had to find out again and again that the LOTW data is often incorrect or not up-to-date. How can I improve this?

73 de Torsten - DL9GTB

Ross Lambert

LOTW is only as good as the info it's given.  Often the times for the QSO that each operator, or their logging software,  provides will be different, especially if they are using FT-8 or other digital modes where the "completion" times may be very different  The times  may be minutes apart.

Ross
W2TT

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 12:31 PM Michael Black via groups.io <mdblack98=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
You're going to have to give some examples of what's "wrong".

LOTW doesn't use many fields.

Mike W9MDB

On Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 11:17:39 AM CST, Torsten - DL9GTB <torsten-ernst@...> wrote:

Hi,

unfortunately for a long time I have had to find out again and again that the LOTW data is often incorrect or not up-to-date. How can I improve this?

73 de Torsten - DL9GTB

Torsten - DL9GTB

Stations with LOTW membership are often marked even though they are not registered with LOTW, or vice versa. I see this repeatedly and have been doing so for a long time. Now I noticed that in particular because I was running the grid tracker at the same time and can quickly recognize the different data. I will continue to observe this and note a few examples.

73 de Torsten - DL9GTB

Michael Black

Just one example of a wrong one?  Namely one that's NOT LOTW being marked as such?

Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 02:07:41 PM CST, Torsten - DL9GTB <torsten-ernst@...> wrote:

Stations with LOTW membership are often marked even though they are not registered with LOTW, or vice versa. I see this repeatedly and have been doing so for a long time. Now I noticed that in particular because I was running the grid tracker at the same time and can quickly recognize the different data. I will continue to observe this and note a few examples.

73 de Torsten - DL9GTB

Ron W3RJW

Edited

Once you use LOTW, you are on the ARRL list of LOTW users for life. The list is never purged.  VP8LP comes to mind, but he is just one of many.  Used to be the go to station for Falklands LOTW. Got angry at something long ago and stopped using LOTW.  He still shows as a user.

WSJT-X allows selecting a time limit (in months) from the last upload which helps some.  Still no guarantee there will be another upload and when. JTA allows a time limit filter in years.
Ron, W3RJW

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

Stations with LOTW membership are often marked even though they are not registered with LOTW, or vice versa. I see this repeatedly and have been doing so for a long time. Now I noticed that in particular because I was running the grid tracker at the same time and can quickly recognize the different data. I will continue to observe this and note a few examples.

+ The ARRL provides an API that returns a list of LoTW users with "date of last upload" for each. Since it first became available, I've not seen an example nor received a report of it being inaccurate.

<https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/developer-query-lotw-users/>

+ If you know of a callsign that erroneously appears (or doesn’t' appear) on this list, please send it my way, and I will engage with the appropriate ARRL personnel.

73,

Dave, AA6YQ

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 19/11/2020 7:07 am, Torsten - DL9GTB wrote:
Stations with LOTW membership are often marked even though they are not registered with LOTW, or vice versa.

73 de Torsten - DL9GTB
Examples? Even just one Callsign is enough to start an investigation.

Claiming errors without providing any supporting evidence is worthless.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Gordon Brown

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 08:27 AM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
Claiming errors without providing any supporting evidence is worthless.
SOunds like the situation with the USA at the moment, Hi Hi

Russ Ravella

:-) !!!!!!

On Nov 18, 2020, at 4:13 PM, Gordon Brown <mr.hot.saab@...> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 08:27 AM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
Claiming errors without providing any supporting evidence is worthless.
SOunds like the situation with the USA at the moment, Hi Hi

n3nz Noel

On Nov 18, 2020, at 6:13 PM, Gordon Brown <mr.hot.saab@...> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 08:27 AM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
Claiming errors without providing any supporting evidence is worthless.
SOunds like the situation with the USA at the moment, Hi Hi

neil_zampella

Lets keep the politics OFF THE LIST ...

Neil, KN3iLZ

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 18/11/2020 4:17 am, Torsten - DL9GTB wrote:
unfortunately for a long time I have had to find out again and again that the LOTW data is often incorrect or not up-to-date. How can I improve this?

73 de Torsten - DL9GTB
Torsetn,

Do you still what me to look into this for you? If so, I will need an example Callsign (one is enough) that is being reported incorrectly from JTAlert. I can't do any investigation without a problem callsign to examine and trace through the different source files and the scripts used to generate the Callsigns database.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Gordon Brown

When is this problem going to be fixed?

Michael Black

When are you going to give an example of a bad one?

You did see where old LOTW calls will still be in the file, right?  They may not be active anymore but were at one time.

Mike W9MDB

On Monday, November 23, 2020, 08:38:55 PM CST, Gordon Brown <mr.hot.saab@...> wrote:

When is this problem going to be fixed?

Neil Foster

VP8LP does NOT show as a user of LoTW, and has not for a long time in my system. However he responds quickly to a QSL card request.
Neil   N4FN

Torsten - DL9GTB

Sorry that I have not commented on this topic. I was on a business trip and unfortunately had little time. I have now taken a close look at it. The mistake is on my side, JTAlert is doing everything right. I trusted the data from QRZ.com. For example there is no LOTW with the callsigns EB3DIM or M0LMK. But these callsigns are entered in the LOW user list. I'm sorry for the confusion. But I also noticed differences to the data from Gridtracker in the past. Now I've found out why that is the case. I have set the LOTW upload filter to 1 year in the JTAlert settings, but not in Gridtracker. Sorry again for the false alarm, I guess I'm too old for this hobby. :-(

73 de Torsten - DL9GTB

John Becker

For those who are having this issue, I hope you are aware that you need to have the latest version of the HamApps Callsign Database installed. This currently is at v2020.11.18. Scroll to the bottom of the page at https://hamapps.com/.

73,

John, K9MM

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 25/11/2020 12:42 am, Torsten - DL9GTB wrote:
Sorry that I have not commented on this topic. I was on a business trip and unfortunately had little time. I have now taken a close look at it. The mistake is on my side, JTAlert is doing everything right. I trusted the data from QRZ.com. For example there is no LOTW with the callsigns EB3DIM or M0LMK. But these callsigns are entered in the LOW user list. I'm sorry for the confusion. But I also noticed differences to the data from Gridtracker in the past. Now I've found out why that is the case. I have set the LOTW upload filter to 1 year in the JTAlert settings, but not in Gridtracker. Sorry again for the false alarm, I guess I'm too old for this hobby. :-(

73 de Torsten - DL9GTB
Tnx Torsten.

The problem with QRZ is the LoTW membership flagging does not use the official LoTW membership list. It is left to the individual Callsign owners to set a flag as to whether they use Lotw. In the past I have encountered QRZ listed callsigns that indicate they use Lotw when they don't. There are no checks involved when an owner sets the state of the Lotw membership setting for their callsign. It cannot be relied upon to be reliable.

JTAlert uses the official LoTW membership list provided by the ARRL.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Carlo - IK2RPE

VP8LP: Neil, you were very lucky! I sent requests directly to him (with Green stamps) three (!) times - the last one also as registered letter - and NO answer.
He does not answer to my mails.
Others had same experience?

Carlo IK2RPE

(sorry, it is out of topic, here)