Topics

locked Logging confusion

John Holmes W9ILY

I am using standard ADIF logging with JTAlert and have a question regarding logging and the correct method. I use a non-integrated logging program, DX4WIN, and as a matter of course I manually import all of my FT8 ADIF files from WSXT-X and JTDX into that logging program, do a "full export" of that logging program periodically and indicate that "full export" file as my logging file that is read by JTAlert.  This has been working OK but I have just noticed that the standard ADIF files produced by WSJT-X and JTDX do not contain state and other miscellaneous info. JTAlert always attaches data from a newly contacted station including state, etc. and the "full" file then has that info. So far so good. However, I use DX4WIN for my general logging for all modes and the info that JTAlert has appended to my "full" file is overwritten the next time I export my FT8 QSOs into my DX4WIN program and create another "full" file to be read by JTAlert. Thus, newly contacted stations in wanted states is overwritten and literally gone. I am sure there is a workaround for this but I am a dead end. If JTAlert wrote the logging data to a new file I could simply import that file into my DX4WIN this creating a complete record of the QSO. But, I didn't see a way to do this . Any suggestions?
John W9ILY

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 7/08/2020 5:45 am, John Holmes W9ILY wrote:
[...]

John,

"I manually import all of my FT8 ADIF files from WSXT-X and JTDX into that logging program"
is the problem.

You need to be importing the ADIF file that JTAlert is updating when QSOs are logged as it contains the State, DXCC & Zone data which the
WSJT-X/JTDX adif files lack. Importing the JTAlert updated adif file will then get new QSOs (with the extended data) into DX4WIN and should then be available in your next full export.

Currently your full export is missing data because your importing the minimal WSJT-X/JTDX files rather than the JTAlert file

de Laurie VK3AMA

John Holmes W9ILY

Thanks, Laurie. I figured that was the way to do it and glad you confirmed.
73,

John W9ILY

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 10/08/2020 12:55 am, John Holmes W9ILY wrote:
Thanks, Laurie. I figured that was the way to do it and glad you confirmed.
73,

John W9ILY
John,

FYI, A very near future JTAlert build utilizes a new ADIF file importer that is an improvement over the current importer, which as you know was a significant improvement over the old importer that took several minutes to process one of your large adif files.

The
current importer took ~18.6 secs (9.8K recs/sec) while the new importer took ~11.8 secs (15.5K recs/sec) to process one of your old 183K QSO files. That's a ~ 45% speed improvement!

Output window for current importer...

Output window for upcoming importer...

de Laurie VK3AMA

John Holmes W9ILY

That is really great news, Laurie. The current importer was a huge improvement and I'm looking forward to the next one. As you know, my log is rather large, over 225,000 now.
73,
John W9ILY

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 11/08/2020 4:14 am, John Holmes W9ILY wrote:
That is really great news, Laurie. The current importer was a huge improvement and I'm looking forward to the next one. As you know, my log is rather large, over 225,000 now.
73,
John W9ILY

John,

I would appreciate access to your current 225K QSO adif file.

While I can create a large file with dummy data for testing, real-world data that is subject to unexpected user/program errors  is preferred.

If your willing to share you file, send a zipped copy to vk3ama.ham.apps [at] gmail.com

Thanks
de Laurie VK3AMA