locked Logger32 <--> JTDX <--> JTAlert Communication problem


Marek Zgadzaj
 

Hi,

I cannot properly set these programs to work together.

If JTAlert show decodes then JTDX does not log the QSO's. 
When JTDX logs the QSO's then JTAlert does not show the decodes.

The settings are as follow:

Logger32: version 4.0.290. UDP settings:


JTDX: version 2.2.158. UDP settings:


JTAlert: version 2.50.9, UDP settings:


Case 1
, JTAlert show decodes only when Logger32 has UDP socket closed:
 
In this case, JTDX does not log the QSO at all, ie. manually and automatically.

Case 2, JTAlert does not show decodes when Logger32 has UDP socket opened. JTDX logs the QSO's manually and automatically:
  

I am asking for any advice, suggestion, hint, what should I do to make these 3 programs work together.
I can use AnyDesk to connect to my computer and I can speak English using WhatsApp (not very fluently).

Thanks,
73 Marek SP6NIN


Michael Black
 

If Logger32 accepts the 224.0.0.1 address than use that instead of 127.0.0.1

That is for multicast operations which you need in order for multiple programs to get the messages.

Mike W9MDB




On Saturday, January 22, 2022, 12:59:41 PM CST, Marek Zgadzaj <sp6nin@...> wrote:


Hi,

I cannot properly set these programs to work together.

If JTAlert show decodes then JTDX does not log the QSO's. 
When JTDX logs the QSO's then JTAlert does not show the decodes.

The settings are as follow:

Logger32: version 4.0.290. UDP settings:


JTDX: version 2.2.158. UDP settings:


JTAlert: version 2.50.9, UDP settings:


Case 1
, JTAlert show decodes only when Logger32 has UDP socket closed:
 
In this case, JTDX does not log the QSO at all, ie. manually and automatically.

Case 2, JTAlert does not show decodes when Logger32 has UDP socket opened. JTDX logs the QSO's manually and automatically:
  

I am asking for any advice, suggestion, hint, what should I do to make these 3 programs work together.
I can use AnyDesk to connect to my computer and I can speak English using WhatsApp (not very fluently).

Thanks,
73 Marek SP6NIN


Marek Zgadzaj
 

Helo Mike,

Thanks for your advice. 

Here is what I tried:

1. Logger32 does not have any settings which allow to change the IP from 127.0.0.1 to 224.0.01 or I could not find it.
2. JTDX does have such a setting, so I set it:


3. JTAlert discovered the change:


But nothing changed, I mean even worse, ie. JTDX decodes are showed only if Logger32 UDP is closed, but QSO's are not logged at all.

So, I think it must be something else or I used your advice in incorrect way.

Thanks,
Marek SP6NIN


Laurie, VK3AMA
 

You need to set JTDX and Logger32 to use multicast UDP. You are currently using unicast (127.0.0.1 on port 2237) which will limit the applications that can run against JTDX concurrent;y. Use multicast and both JTAlert and Logger32 can operate concurrently. JTAlert will automatically detect when JTDX is using multicast and switch accordingly.

de Laurie VK3AMA


Marek Zgadzaj
 

Yes, I understand, but...

...but in Logger32 there is no "multicast" setting, so I do not know how to set it in Logger32.

In JTAlert there is the "multicast" setting, so I set it:



In JTDX I set the address: 224.0.0.1.

From this point, JTAlert shows decodes all time. It does not matter if Logger32 has UDP port opened or closed.
But QSO's are not logged at all.

The only settings where QSO's are logged are: JTDX has 127.0.0.1 and Logger32 has UDP port closed.

Thanks anyway,
Marek


Joe Subich, W4TV
 

On 2022-01-22 3:24 PM, Marek Zgadzaj wrote:

Logger32 has UDP port closed.
Logger32 is *NOT* one of the logging packages supported by JT-Alert.
There are no settings for Logger32 in Settings -> Logging

The supported loggers are DXKeeper (DXLab Suite), HRD V5/V6,
Log4OM V1/V2, ACLog and Standard ADIF File.


73,

... Joe, W4TV


On 2022-01-22 3:24 PM, Marek Zgadzaj wrote:
Yes, I understand, but...
...but in Logger32 there is no "multicast" setting, so I do not know how to set it in Logger32.
In JTAlert there is the "multicast" setting, so I set it:
In JTDX I set the address: 224.0.0.1.
From this point, JTAlert shows decodes all time. It does not matter if Logger32 has UDP port opened or closed.
But QSO's are not logged at all.
The only settings where QSO's are logged are: JTDX has 127.0.0.1 and Logger32 has UDP port closed.
Thanks anyway,
Marek


Michael Black
 

Enable the 2nd UDP server in JTDX on a separate port to talk to Logger32 then.

JTAlert, under the Last QSO API, can also send the ADIF record and will have more fields in it so is actually a better solution then the 2nd UDP in JTDX.

Mike W9MDB




On Saturday, January 22, 2022, 02:24:06 PM CST, Marek Zgadzaj <sp6nin@...> wrote:


Yes, I understand, but...

...but in Logger32 there is no "multicast" setting, so I do not know how to set it in Logger32.

In JTAlert there is the "multicast" setting, so I set it:



In JTDX I set the address: 224.0.0.1.

From this point, JTAlert shows decodes all time. It does not matter if Logger32 has UDP port opened or closed.
But QSO's are not logged at all.

The only settings where QSO's are logged are: JTDX has 127.0.0.1 and Logger32 has UDP port closed.

Thanks anyway,
Marek


Marek Zgadzaj
 

Yes, I know. I never used JTAlert for logging QSO's in Logger32.

QSO's were/are logged by JTDX using UDP port.

I only need JTAlert for alerts. I remember that couple months ago, all three programs cooperated good. I could not find what is incorrect. 

So, I will try 2nd UDP port and if it fails, probably I will write small program (I am C# programmer) which could read the UDP datagrams from JTDX and resend them to JTAlert and Logger32 using separate UDP ports. 

Thanks for comments,

Marek SP6NIN


Marek Zgadzaj
 

I enabled 2nd UDP port but it did not help. JTDX did not send UDP datagrams to the 2nd UDP port, I did not observe any communication.
Logger32 did not receive the messages. I tested it also in my test program which was set to listen the 2nd UDP port. There are no communications....or...I did it incorrectly.

But, thanks to your advice I've noticed that JTDX can send QSO's using TCP server, so:

1. I enabled the TCP server in JTDX.
2. I disabled receiving the UDP datagrams in Logger32.

And it works, ie. JTDX logs the QSO's in Logger32 and JTAlert shows the decodes concurrently.

Thanks for all comments and suggestions,
Marek SP6NIN


w4lde
 

Joe,

Yes your correct, Logger32 as I understand does not at this time support multicast UDP connections to and from JTAlert, however, there’s a very simple way to use a small program called “SOCAT” that translate a UDP data port to a TCP port, which works very well with L32.

I’ve used this method for years. JTAlert has the capacity to send log info via a second UDP port, SOCAT acts a protocol converter and retransmits that data via a TCP port that is easy for Logger32 to log the QSO. Of added benefit is the capability in JTAert to include not only the WSJT-x log data but to include lookup data from QRZ and HamQTH QSO data, makes my life easier with operator names, QTH and other info provided by the lookup services.

I currently use the TCP port to receive logging data direct from JTDX when using the combo with JTAlert and thus no need to SOCAT. When using my preferred setup of WSJTx and JTAlert I use SOCAT to convert the protocol of UDP from JTAert to a TCP connection.

Ive used this method to log over 5k of FT8 and or FT4 QSO’s with only 1 or 2 QSO lost due to my error. The setup is explained in the former and current Logger32 help files. If anyone is interested and after reading the help files and has questions or a need for the current version of SOCAT, which is available on the net, I can email a copy. I’ll post settings I use if needed. I need to look at the files section of the group since I thought I posted this years ago.

Joe, thank you for your MicroHam support. You got back up and running after I screwed up after moving from an old PC to new one, your suggestions were right on.

Wish I were back in CFL, it’s 23f south of Atlanta.

73 de Ron W4LDE


Joe Subich, W4TV
 

Ron,

On 2022-01-23 9:34 AM, w4lde wrote:

Yes your correct, Logger32 as I understand does not at this time support multicast UDP connections to and from JTAlert,
It is not just the lack of multicast support ... Logger32's developer
does not permit JT Alert to read the log database. Thus JT Alert can
not perform B4 lookup on the entire log (only JT Alert's own ADIF Log)
and can not update its "wanted" databases unless you periodically
export an ADIF file and scan it.

While there are work-arounds using direct TCP logging from WSJTX/JTDX,
there is no official support for Logger32.

Wish I were back in CFL, it’s 23f south of Atlanta.
It's 40f this morning just NE of Orlando. Not exactly "Chamber of
Commerce" weather <G>.

73,

... Joe, W4TV


On 2022-01-23 9:34 AM, w4lde wrote:
Joe,
Yes your correct, Logger32 as I understand does not at this time support multicast UDP connections to and from JTAlert, however, there’s a very simple way to use a small program called “SOCAT” that translate a UDP data port to a TCP port, which works very well with L32.
I’ve used this method for years. JTAlert has the capacity to send log info via a second UDP port, SOCAT acts a protocol converter and retransmits that data via a TCP port that is easy for Logger32 to log the QSO. Of added benefit is the capability in JTAert to include not only the WSJT-x log data but to include lookup data from QRZ and HamQTH QSO data, makes my life easier with operator names, QTH and other info provided by the lookup services.
I currently use the TCP port to receive logging data direct from JTDX when using the combo with JTAlert and thus no need to SOCAT. When using my preferred setup of WSJTx and JTAlert I use SOCAT to convert the protocol of UDP from JTAert to a TCP connection.
Ive used this method to log over 5k of FT8 and or FT4 QSO’s with only 1 or 2 QSO lost due to my error. The setup is explained in the former and current Logger32 help files. If anyone is interested and after reading the help files and has questions or a need for the current version of SOCAT, which is available on the net, I can email a copy. I’ll post settings I use if needed. I need to look at the files section of the group since I thought I posted this years ago.
Joe, thank you for your MicroHam support. You got back up and running after I screwed up after moving from an old PC to new one, your suggestions were right on.
Wish I were back in CFL, it’s 23f south of Atlanta.
73 de Ron W4LDE


w4lde
 

Marek,

If your using JTDX recommend you use the TCP communication between JTDX and L32. Review the manual for different methods useful for WSJTx and JTDx when using with JTAlert or in standalone.

73 ge Ron W4LDE


Marek Zgadzaj
 

Ron,

All is now correct. I use JTDX and TCP server to log the QSO's. JTAlert receives decodes from JTDX via UDP port and alerts me.

Thanks,

Marek SP6NIN


w4lde
 

Merick