locked JTAlet stops responding
WSJT-X Version : 2.5.0-rc1
WSJT-X Revision : 68a3d4
WSJT-X Spec Op Mode : ARRL Field Day
WSJT-X UDP ID : WSJT-X
WSJT-X UDP Port : 2237
WSJT-X UDP Server : 188.8.131.52
WSJT-X UDP MCast on LB : True
WSJT-X UDP Max Schema : 3
My JTAlert stops responding as soon as I click on a call. And when it does work it wants to double log to HRD logbook.
I ‘m running JTAlert 184.108.40.206, WSJT-X 2.5.0-rc1, and HRD, and Windows 10
I’m hoping it is just a setting I have wrong
Let me know if you need anything. Someone can also log into my system if needed.
Well I think I got it working for now.
What I did not have was WSJT-X selected to go through my added it to the exception list and JTAlert seam to be working fine now.
As for the double logging I uncheck the Secondary UDP Server (Deprecated) box) under the reporting tab of WSJT-X
next I unchecked the UDP Transmission of last QSO in the JTAlert logging last QSO API
All is working again