JTAlert X - HRD log scan careened past 1085 records and hit a brick wall in memory crashed and burned

Stephanie WX3K

Edited

Such self destructive behavior for an app :-)

Installation ran well for version 2.50.0. Installed .NET 5 will no issues for 64 bit OS. JTalert acknowledged a valid .NET 5 installation existed during installation.

Windows 10 Pro(64 bit) on a Dell Inspiron 3670 12 GB ram

Did the program miss a turn somewhere ? LOL

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 29/04/2021 9:01 am, Stephanie WX3K wrote:
Such self destructive behavior for an app :-)

Installation ran well for version 2.50.0. Installed .NET 5 will no issues for 64 bit OS. JTalert acknowledged a valid .NET 5 installation existed during installation.

Windows 10 Pro(64 bit) on a Dell Inspiron 3670 12 GB ram

Did the program miss a turn somewhere ? LOL
I note that the failure is occurring while scanning a HRDLogbook log. Is it an MSAccess type log? There have been a number of problems in recent months involving MSAccess Logs. In most cases exporting the log, creating a new log and importing the old QSOs than setting JTAlert to use the new log has been sufficient to restore normal operation. In a very small number of cases creating a new MSAccess log didn't seem to  provide a 100% fix. Switching to using a MariaDB log type worked 100%.

HRD recommend abandoning MSAccess and switching to MariaDB. They have a video somewhere outlining the steps needed, it is not overly difficult and in the end your HRDLogbook experience with be faster and more reliable.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Stephanie WX3K

Yes, using MS Access type logbook at the moment. Im a little behind on HRD upgrades and perhaps it may be time to revisit that in light of this recent issue. I seem to remember the MariaDB coming up somewhere else too. Oh ! I converted over to Maria DB from MySQL in CQRlog so I am familiar with at least the Linux version of it. :-)

Appreciate the feedback Laurie ! Hope I can get JT Alert up and running this weekend. Really looking for the notification features in it.

Stephanie WX3K

Ron W3RJW

Edited

Let me add a few things:

I have a Microsoft Access log with 23,000 contacts and it works just fine. Many people have much bigger logs.

The biggest problem is that many of us have/had really old Access drivers. The act of creating a new log and importing old QSO's, as Laurie describes, forces the system to update those drivers.  This fixes a lot of problems, but maybe will not fix yours.

A comprehensive discussion on the HRD web site describes the details, including how to check your drivers:
https://www.hamradiodeluxe.com/blog/The-Problem-With-Microsoft-Access.html

If you really feel the need to change to MySQLdatabase, there is an instruction link on the page above.

Just let me say that updating HRD will not fix driver problems.It's a separate issue.

--
Ron, W3RJW

FTdx-5000, Timewave Navigator, WSJT-x 2.4.0 rc4, JTAlert 2.50.0, HRD Deluxe v6.7.0.323
FTdx-3000, SignaLink USB

Stephanie WX3K

Edited

Here is what the ODBC shows....

Ok, I downloaded the 2013 32 bit driver and installed it. It showed up in the ODBC listing

When I went to restore to the new logbook, HRD complained version not supported

Interesting but I used CREATE NEW DATABASE from the FILE menu and restored to that and all is good now.

Stephanie WX3K

I reran JT Alert, repointed to the new database, and rebuild alert and LOG SCAN once again sailed right past records. It is still running and currently at 136,000 +.and heading for another brick wall in memory. SIGH

Ron W3RJW

Stephanie

(*.mdb, *accdb) is the right MS Access Database driver.....   (*.mdb) is an old driver

'WRJW Log - Access' is my new log with the correct driver.  I don't see your new logbook in the 'User DSN' Tab ? 

Don't know enough to know if this matters or not ....

--
Ron, W3RJW

FTdx-5000, Timewave Navigator, WSJT-x 2.4.0 rc4, JTAlert 2.50.1, HRD Deluxe v6.7.0.357
FTdx-3000, SignaLink USB

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 3/05/2021 5:44 am, Ron W3RJW via groups.io wrote:
I don't see your new logbook in the 'User DSN' Tab ?

Don't know enough to know if this matters or not ....

--
Ron, W3RJW
If the Log database entry is not in the User DSN, than JTAlert will not be ale to use it and will not provide a selection in the Settings.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Stephanie WX3K

Sorry if I did not share the correct screen capture but it IS in the User DSN. HRD works under the new logbook but JT alert is still having issues with LOG SCAN and going past 1085 log records and crashing.

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 3/05/2021 7:18 am, Stephanie WX3K wrote:
Sorry if I did not share the correct screen capture but it IS in the User DSN. HRD works under the new logbook but JT alert is still having issues with LOG SCAN and going past 1085 log records and crashing.

_._,_._,_

I would guess it is the dual platform 32/64-bit may be the problem. I do know, there were issues with 64bit DSN's long ago and for HRD & JTAlert to work, the DSN needed to be 32 bit and created with the 32bit ODBC Manager, not 64 bit created. I have never seen this dual platform variant before. That may be the problem, I don't know. Note your original entry was 32 bit only. JTAlert is a 32 bit application (the part that handles logging is). That could be the issue, but I am unable to test HRDLogbook so cannot confirm.

I thought you were going to move over to MariaDB, that may be your only option.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Stephanie WX3K

So I installed MariaDB and when I installed the ODBC connector I got a window popup about a required Visual Studio 2019 X86 that needs to be installed. No one mentioned this. Last time I installed a Visual Studio update, it trashed some software I had installed.

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 6/05/2021 11:08 pm, Stephanie WX3K wrote:
So I installed MariaDB and when I installed the ODBC connector I got a window popup about a required Visual Studio 2019 X86 that needs to be installed. No one mentioned this. Last time I installed a Visual Studio update, it trashed some software I had installed.

Without seeing the error message it is impossible to provide informed advice as to what might be happening.

If you're getting a requirement message for installing a piece of software it is because that software is not finding what it needs installed on your PC.

If you can't install MariaDB on your PC, that is not something I can directly help with, you will need to take that up the creators of MariaDB via their support channel.

Try HRD support, since you're following their instructions on installing MariaDB to work with their product. Did you following the HRD instructions?

All I can say is that there is no need for Visual Studio to install MariaDB.
I have successfully installed MariaDB a number of times over the years on PCs that don't have Visual Studio installed.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Ron W3RJW

Edited

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 04:41 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:

There is, however, a need when installing the latest MySQL Connector/OBDC for the installation of the Visual Studio 2019 Redistributable (if not on the machine).  I Just did it on two computers, a Win 10 and a Win 8.1 machine. It was painless.

I followed the step by step instructions on the HRD WEB page. The need for the the Redistributable is not in those instructions, but the Connector/OBDC will not install without it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads-2647da03-1eea-4433-9aff-95f26a218cc0

You want the x86 version.

When you get your MySQL log installed make sure you go into JTAlert, under HRD logging, and tell JTAlert which log you are using.
--
Ron, W3RJW

FTdx-5000, Timewave Navigator, WSJT-x 2.4.0 rc4, JTAlert 2.50.1, HRD Deluxe v6.7.0.357
FTdx-3000, SignaLink USB

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 7/05/2021 8:51 am, Ron W3RJW via groups.io wrote:
On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 04:41 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:

There is, however, a need when installing the latest MySQL Connector/OBDC for the installation of the Visual Studio 2019 Redistributable (if not on the machine).  I Just did it on two computers, a Win 10 and a Win 8.1 machine. It was painless.

I followed the step by step instructions on the HRD WEB page. The need for the the Redistributable is not in those instructions, but the Connector/OBDC will not install without it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads-2647da03-1eea-4433-9aff-95f26a218cc0

You want the x86 version.

When you get your MySQL log installed make sure you go into JTAlert, under HRD logging, and tell JTAlert which log you are using.
--
Ron, W3RJW

Tnx Ron.

So it's a Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable that is missing. While it has "Visual Studio" in the full name of the Redistributable it is not only used for VS.

The ODBC connector for MariaDB was created using functionality of this Redistributable, thus the requirement. This is no different to how JTAlert needs the .NET 5 Runtime.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Stephanie WX3K

Ron,

Thank you for the feedback. That was helpful and I have successfully finished upgrading to MariaDB for HRD !

Laurie,

I reinstalled JT Alert 5.0.1 and it is working nicely !

Stephanie WX3K

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 9/05/2021 2:40 pm, Stephanie WX3K wrote:
Ron,

Thank you for the feedback. That was helpful and I have successfully finished upgrading to MariaDB for HRD !

Laurie,

I reinstalled JT Alert 5.0.1 and it is working nicely !

Stephanie WX3K

Thanks for updating the group. Good to hear all is now working.

de Laurie VK3AMA