JTAlert/WSJT-X Issues with AK and HI, plus B4 problem

Ronald Clanton

I continue to see AK and HI as a wanted DXCC/State in the decode box (marked by yellow) despite having many confirmed log entries.  Is there a setting that I'm missing?

Also, I thought in the past that a contact was only marked "B4" when confirmed?  I have a situation where it indicated it as B4, but isn't a confirmed contact.  Additionally, in the decode box, it doesn't flag it as a wanted DXCC (only grey)... even though that unconfirmed contact is the only one for that DXCC entry.

Thanks,

Ron

Ronald Clanton

Okay... no replies.  Am I the only one experiencing this issue?

Ron
KE7NJ

Dave Garber

if you doing a rescan of the log, confirm the filename is correct.    you may be scanning an old log, but updating a new one??

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 2:25 PM Ronald Clanton <ronaldnc55@...> wrote:

Okay... no replies.  Am I the only one experiencing this issue?

Ron
KE7NJ

Ronald Clanton

Dave,

Thanks for the reply!  I've confirmed the filename.  Interesting that the HI and AK issue has been there since I started using JTAlert over a year ago.  The B4 issue is brand new with this version... as far as I can tell.

I take it that you don't have any issue with HI and AK showing as needed in JTAlert when you have had confirmed contacts?

Ron
KE7NJ

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-10-14 10:18 PM, Ronald Clanton wrote:

I take it that you don't have any issue with HI and AK showing as needed in JTAlert when you have had confirmed contacts?
None at all. Are they color coded as wanted states or wanted countries?
What are your respective state/country goals - any/individual bands?
Any Mode, Individual mode, Any Digital Mode, Any WSTX Mode? Are your
goals the same for state/country?

Hover your mouse over the tile in the All Decodes display and see
what is highlighted in blue - that will tell you what is
triggering the "need".

Also, I thought in the past that a contact was only marked "B4" when confirmed?
No, B4 are marked as such when worked, not when confirmed.

Additionally, in the decode box, it doesn't flag it as a wanted DXCC (only grey)... even though that unconfirmed contact is the only one for that DXCC entry.
B4 will take precedence. "Reworking" a given station on the same band
does not "advance" one's progress. If you have given up on receiving
confirmation for the previous contact, mark it "invalid" in your logging
program and JTAlert will ignore the previous QSO.

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-10-14 10:18 PM, Ronald Clanton wrote:
Dave,
Thanks for the reply!  I've confirmed the filename.  Interesting that the HI and AK issue has been there since I started using JTAlert over a year ago.  The B4 issue is brand new with this version... as far as I can tell.
Ron
KE7NJ

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 9/10/2021 1:45 am, Ronald Clanton wrote:

I continue to see AK and HI as a wanted DXCC/State in the decode box (marked by yellow) despite having many confirmed log entries.  Is there a setting that I'm missing?

Also, I thought in the past that a contact was only marked "B4" when confirmed?  I have a situation where it indicated it as B4, but isn't a confirmed contact.  Additionally, in the decode box, it doesn't flag it as a wanted DXCC (only grey)... even though that unconfirmed contact is the only one for that DXCC entry.

Thanks,

Ron

H'mm, I don't know what happened to my last reply. I distinctly remember composing the email, but It never got posted to the group.

Questions...
  • What log type are you using with JTAlert?

• How are you maintaining your Wanted Entities, is it by manually applying changes or by running the automated "Rebuild Alert Database" operation? The rebuild operation is what you should be performing if running with a log enabled in JTAlert.
Keep in mind, that for AK & HI they have the distinction of being both a State and Country. Having say HI marked as no longer needed as a Country does not automatically mark HI as no longer needed as a State. If manually maintaining the needs lists you need to keep that in mind. Especially if your need requirements for States is different from you need requirements for Countries.

All Alerts types behave independently with respect to the needs tracking, by Band, Mode etc, so you could as example have Countries being tracked by Band only without regard to Mode, while at the same time have States tracked by both Band and Mode. The choice is yours and will impact how a State & Country is flagged as no longer needed. All of this is handled automatically by JTAlert when running the rebuild operation.

The State & Country alerts, by default have the same Yellow background coloring (yellow), with the text color being different to distinguish between the State & Country alerts. My guess is that your seeing a State Alert and misinterpreting as a Country Alert. You can tell which Alerts were triggered by examining the Callsign Tooltip of the alerted callsigns and observe which of the location details are highlighted.

An alternative to the Callsigns window and the Callsign tooltip to determine what alerts were triggered by a decode, you can use the Decodes window. It will display all the triggered Alert types for a Callsign within their own dedicated columns so you can quickly see what alerts were triggered.

de Laurie VK3AMA

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 15/10/2021 1:18 pm, Ronald Clanton wrote:

How have you set JTAlert for the Wanted State and Wanted Country Alerts with respect to Band & Mode tracking? If they are not set the same, than it is normal to see AK or HI stations generating a State Alert while not generating a Country Alert.

In my case I have Country alerting set for "by individual band" and "by any digital mode" but have the State alerting set for "by individual band" and "by individual mode". Example, in the case of a log confirmed entry for HI on 20m JT65, a HI station decoded on 20m FT8 will not generate a HI Country alert but will generate a HI State alert as I am tracking States by individual mode, but Countries by any digital mode and HI has already been confirmed on JT65.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Dave Garber

Like Joe says, check your reason the alert is not popping as b4.  you may have worked the state before, but new alert might be for a grid in alaska you have not worked ( maybe the op is remoting)

my b4 come up as grey ( my color choice) in wsjt, whether confirmed or not.

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 10:18 PM Ronald Clanton <ronaldnc55@...> wrote:

Dave,

Thanks for the reply!  I've confirmed the filename.  Interesting that the HI and AK issue has been there since I started using JTAlert over a year ago.  The B4 issue is brand new with this version... as far as I can tell.

Ron
KE7NJ

Ronald Clanton

Dave,

Thanks!  The contacts/goals for AK and HI were all digital and band specific.  You hit on something... I need to see why they're yellow... is it due to "state" or "country" alert.  I'll check when I get home on Sunday.  I import my log via ADIF from QRZ.com.  Perhaps the import isn't checking the right marks in the worked alerts.

On the B4 issue... perhaps this is the first time I noticed it happening, but what you say makes sense.  If they didn't confirm the first time, why alert when for country/state when they're on the next time?

Thanks,

Ron
KE7NJ

Ronald Clanton

Laurie,

As mentioned, I'm using QRZ for logging and exporting the ADIF file and importing to JTAlert... then run a rebuild.  I'll check which alert HI/AK is triggered and how the import imported them to JTAlert.  I primarily (almost exclusively) work FT8 Digital... so am certain that I have matched band and mode.

When I get home, I check which alert is triggered and also check the JTAlert check boxes as filled by the rebuild.  I'll also make sure that the criteria are the same for alerting on each.

Thanks,

Ron
KE7NJ