Topics

locked JTAlert with UDP Multicast support available for testing #Beta

André C

Hello Laurie,  Do we need to delete our config file tui use the beta version ?

Garanti sans virus. www.avg.com

Le lun. 10 août 2020, à 15 h 04, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> a écrit :
Users who want to test UDP Multicast support provided by the current Beta build of JTAlert can try this build...

https://dnl.HamApps.com/Beta/JTAlert.2.16.10.build.0012.Beta.Setup.exe

Please report your experiences/observations with this build. I am keen to hear from DX Aggregator and Grid Tracker users when those applications have been correctly set to use the WSJT-X multicast IP address (NOT the JTAlert UDP resend feature) and running along-side JTAlert

Note: This is a Beta release and will cease functioning after 4 weeks.

From the release notes...
    - UDP Multicast: JTAlert now supports joining a UDP multicast group IP address
       when interacting with WSJT-X. This is automatic, using the settings as defined
       for each detected WSJT-X instance discovered running on the same PC as JTAlert.
       Multicast support across multiple PCs/Networks is not supported.
       Current JTAlert/WSJT-X setups, either single or multiple instance will operate
       as normal without any changes to WSJT-X settings.
       Users who want to take advantage of concurrently running applications like DX
       Aggregator or Grid Tracker along-side JTAlert will need to set the WSJT-X UDP
       Server to a valid Multicast IP (in the 239.0.0.0 to 239.255.0.0 range) and set
       those applications to use that IP address. JTAlert requires zero-configuration.

On 11/08/2020 6:26 am, André C wrote:
Hello Laurie,  Do we need to delete our config file tui use the beta version ?

No, you don't need to delete the JTAlert or WSJT-X config files.

JTAlert provides for zero-configuration changes, everything is automatic.

You don't need to make any changes to WSJT-X unless you want to use DX Aggregator or Grid Tracker when they are set to use multicast UDP, in which case you need WSJT-X set to use the same Multicast IP address as those applications.

Please note, the multicast IP must be in the range 239.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.255

I used 239.255.0.0 in my testing.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Toshiya Koike

Grid Tracker is running in beta at the same time.
It works fine.
I think the multicast version is very good.
Thank you Laurie.

de JL1JVT Toshiya

w2eck

So for me and I am sure just a few others, can someone explain exactly what Multicast is , and what benefit it brings us??

thanks & 73
Paul
w2eck

g4wjs

On 11/08/2020 18:57, w2eck wrote:
So for me and I am sure just a few others, can someone explain exactly what Multicast is , and what benefit it brings us??

thanks & 73
Paul
w2eck
Hi Paul,

answered previously here:

https://hamapps.groups.io/g/Support/message/31202

73
Bill
G4WJS.

Bill
G4WJS.

Dev Null

Multicast is the opposite of unicast - which is what you normally do, when you browse a web or send an email. It allows a "one-to-many" relationship, just like broadcasting. It actually is broadcasting... more efficient as there is no handshake to determine if packets are sent successfully.

Not much use out on the public internet, but very handy within your local network... or on the same computer.

Dave Garber

i got that explanation, but I still dont see it helping me.  I can already have wsjt, jtalert, gridtracker and my log all working now.   maybe speed is difference.  I will be watching progress

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 1:57 PM w2eck <eckerpw@...> wrote:
So for me and I am sure just a few others, can someone explain exactly what Multicast is , and what benefit it brings us??

thanks & 73
Paul
w2eck

w2eck

Dev
So JTAlert is doing the one to many broadcasting to .........who/what. ? Give us an example of how this might be helpful to us?

73 Paul

Michael Black

WSJT-X multicasts it's status packets from multiple instances as with Flex Radio systems.
JTAlert can then see those status packets too.

On 12/08/2020 00:15, w2eck wrote:
Dev
So JTAlert is doing the one to many broadcasting to .........who/what. ? Give us an example of how this might be helpful to us?

73 Paul
Paul,

if you don't understand the networking details here that's not a problem. This is a feature of the WSJT-X UDP Message Protocol that allows multiple applications to interoperate with one or more WSJT-X instances concurrently. It is something application developers need to understand, as a user you don't have to do anything other than choose a multicast group address that all the interoperating applications are going to listen for traffic on.

You are looking for something that you don't need to know about. Your choice is to use a unicast server address like 127.0.0.1 and only have one application interoperate with WSJT-X, or choose a multicast group address like 239.255.0.0 and have as many multicast capable applications as you like interoperating with one or more WSJT-X instances. All that is happening from the user perspective is that a limitation is being removed.

Bill
G4WJS.

Russ Ravella

Just wanted to report I successfully updated JTA to 2.16.10 and have it running together with GridTracker with no issues so far.  It works perfectly as far as I can see.  Thank you yet again, Laurie !

For anyone interested in specific set-up steps, here's what I used:

        - set WSJT-X >Settings>Reporting>UPD Server to

IP = 239.255.0.0, Port = 2334                                          (using the IP Laurie tested with though anything in the MultiCast IP range (239.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.255) should work)

- set GT >Settings>General>Receive UDP Messages to

MultiCast?>enable, IP = 239.255.0.0, Port = 2334

(note: GT’s IP box stays yellow for some reason)

- no change to JTA; it detects MultiCast and configures automatically

- either can control WSJT-X and they recognize and display commands set by the other

- restart may be necessary

w2eck

Bill - thanks - that explanation was very helpful and succinct.

73 Paul

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 12/08/2020 4:11 pm, Russ Ravella via groups.io wrote:
Just wanted to report I successfully updated JTA to 2.16.10 and have it running together with GridTracker with no issues so far.  It works perfectly as far as I can see.  Thank you yet again, Laurie !

For anyone interested in specific set-up steps, here's what I used:

        - set WSJT-X >Settings>Reporting>UPD Server to

IP = 239.255.0.0, Port = 2334                                          (using the IP Laurie tested with though anything in the MultiCast IP range (239.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.255) should work)

- set GT >Settings>General>Receive UDP Messages to

MultiCast?>enable, IP = 239.255.0.0, Port = 2334

(note: GT’s IP box stays yellow for some reason)

- no change to JTA; it detects MultiCast and configures automatically

- either can control WSJT-X and they recognize and display commands set by the other

- restart may be necessary

Russ,

Tnx for the positive report.

- either can control WSJT-X and they recognize and display commands set by the other

The point that many people are missing about multicast is that it allows multiple WSJT-X cooperating applications like JTAlert, DX Aggregator & Grid Tracker to be run simultaneously and independently. Prior to multicast, DX Aggregator and Grid Tracker were dependant on using the JTAlert UDP resend mechanism which didn't support either application directly controlling WSJT-X.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Russ Ravella

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for the response.

Right.  I’d been using GT with JTA that way until now and wanted to explicitly mention they can be used independently now and that is working perfectly.  JTA is never going anywhere in my shack so if the other apps had to run via resend from it, then that’s the way it was going to be.  No longer an issue.  Also, since performing an operation from either app “changes the state” of WSJT-X (selecting a station, initiating TX, …), the other app sees it and shows it doing so, essentially mirroring the operation as well.   Very cool.

It’s pretty amazing you’re still working so hard to maintain the V2 we’re all using - even going so far as to work out this neat piece of fancy footwork for us - while also bringing up your V3 which will eventually obsolete it.  Just wanted to point that out too.  We can't appreciate you enough Laurie, thank you again !
Russ, KR6W

On Aug 12, 2020, at 11:30 AM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:

[...]

B. Smith

Decided to try UDP Multicast with Grid Tracker and immediately saw positive benefits. Callsign lookups have more info and my QSLs are showing up according to the legend colors. Still getting feet wet. One thing I will mention in addition to Russ's settings is in JTA settings - Applications - WSJT-x/JTDX you should uncheck "Resend WSJT-X UDP packets..." Nice upgrade.

73, Bill N3XL

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 13/08/2020 10:50 am, B. Smith via groups.io wrote:
JTA settings - Applications - WSJT-x/JTDX you should uncheck "Resend WSJT-X UDP packets..." Nice upgrade.

73, Bill N3XL

Bill,

Failing to uncheck that resend option should have no ill effects. Did you see otherwise?

That resend option was being used by GridTracker prior to multicast, but with changing GT to using a multicast address the packets sent on that port would not be seen by GT.

The only down-side to keeping that option enabled would be a minimal performance impact (unnoticed by the user) on JTAlert operation as it will be executing instructions for no purpose.

de Laurie VK3AMA

B. Smith

Laurie,
It was a cursory observation. I didn't see the pink B4s and maybe some other colors initially  and not sure if JTA was displaying all of the callsigns either. So there appeared to be some effect between JTA and WSJT-X as everything looked great right after I unchecked that box.
73, Bill n3xl

On 13/08/2020 12:11 pm, B. Smith via groups.io wrote:
It was a cursory observation. I didn't see the pink B4s and maybe some other colors initially  and not sure if JTA was displaying all of the callsigns either. So there appeared to be some effect between JTA and WSJT-X as everything looked great right after I unchecked that box.
73, Bill n3xl

Bill,

I just checked the code, that option was being ignored in the latest build (left over testing code that should have been removed) so it would not have made a difference.

de Laurie VK3AMA

TomK

Glad you noted the multicast test-build issue, Laurie.

I, too, lost my GridTracker input feed when I upgraded it at the same time I upgraded JT.

Thought it was GT. Now looks like it may be due to the build error you noted.

I circumvented the problem setting GT to use the (now deprecated) WSJT secondary port forwarding.

Would prefer to us either base program’s main port again (WSJT or JT as B4) without funky deprecated WSJT forwarding

TomK / KT1TK / 73

On 13/08/2020 3:56 pm, TomK wrote:

Glad you noted the multicast test-build issue, Laurie.

I, too, lost my GridTracker input feed when I upgraded it at the same time I upgraded JT.

Thought it was GT. Now looks like it may be due to the build error you noted.

I circumvented the problem setting GT to use the (now deprecated) WSJT secondary port forwarding.

Would prefer to us either base program’s main port again (WSJT or JT as B4) without funky deprecated WSJT forwarding

TomK / KT1TK / 73

Why bother with the UDP forwarding?

That is no longer needed now that JTAlert supports UDP mulitcasting. You just need to set both WSJT-X and Grid Tracker to use the same multicast IP address (in the 239.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.255 range) with nothing to set in JTAlert. The whole point of multitasking is that multiple concurrently running applications can work directly with WSJT-X, something that can't be done when using UDP forwarding. The application (eg Grid Tracker) cannot send commands to WSJT-X, it can only receive. With multicasting that is no longer the case.

de Laurie VK3AMA